Acer Aspire V5-591G SSD M.2 upgrade choices?

metiu76
metiu76 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited October 2017 in Nitro Gaming

Hello everyone;

as stated, I'd like to know (for sure) which tipe of SSD M.2 could I install in my V5-591G-73M6 model: a SATA or a PCIe one?

I know (I've opened the bottom and see it!) that the socket is a key M one, does this means that the laptop supports a PCIe one?

I'm gettin'mad searching info about it, since I've read both opinion and the opposite of both!

Does anyone know for sure?

Does anyone have installed a SSD M.2 PCIe? Does it works? Could it be uses as boot drive?

Many thanks to anyone could help me!

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,077 Trailblazer

Hi,

M.2 SATA drive will work but NVMe hasn't worked according this thread:https://community.acer.com/t5/V-and-VN-Series-Laptops/V5-591G-nvme-support-Samsung-950-pro/td-p/425744

Could you please download HWINFO64, expand Bus, expand PCI bus, highlight PCI Express port 9 and post the snip of it, like my snip.

Capture 1.JPG

• metiu76
  • brummyfan2

Hi,

No problem, yes it's true, it works for some and not others, sorry I can not tell which model can use NVMe drives but someone else might know the answer and will post the reply.

• metiu76
    Thanks anyway;
    About the snip you posted, what I have to look for that could help me solve the question?
  • brummyfan2

Hi,

Sorry, I failed to mention to look for Maximum Link width on the right pane, it should be either 2x or 4x,

• metiu76
    Thanks,
    I'm gonna check asap..
    So Port 9 is the m.2 socket one?
  • brummyfan2

Hi,

Yes, that's in my model, it could be numbered differently in your model, you can expand other Ports and see what is in them as well( Wifi, Realtek etc), we need to concentrate on empty slots.

• Grg
    Grg Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hi, i can't attach a picture, but i uploadet it:
    https://i.imgur.com/Ho8MkmN.jpg

Am I correct, that the m.2 socket is PCIe?

Thanks
  • brummyfan2
    Grg said:
    Hi, i can't attach a picture, but i uploadet it:
    https://i.imgur.com/Ho8MkmN.jpg

Am I correct, that the m.2 socket is PCIe?

Thanks

Hi,
    Could you please click the + sign and expand it to find what they are used for, your Root Port 3 has Maximum Link Width of 1x and you can not use a NVMe SSD in that port, check the other PCI Express Root Port 4 and see whether it has either 2x or 4x value for Maximum Link Width.

• Grg
    Grg Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hi,

Port 4 has the same properties as port 3. Port 3 is used for Atheros WiFi, Port 4 for Realtek Ethernet.

i.imgur.com/Gs98LVH.jpg
  • brummyfan2
    Grg said:
    Hi,

Port 4 has the same properties as port 3. Port 3 is used for Atheros WiFi, Port 4 for Realtek Ethernet.

i.imgur.com/Gs98LVH.jpg
    I don't think you can install a NVMe SSD in your laptop.
  • johnkeppas
    johnkeppas Member Posts: 3 New User
    Hi Acer community, I 'm reviving this thread because I bought an Aspire V5-591G-51AU laptop. It came with an HDD 1TB installed, and I want to upgrade to an M.2 SSD drive and keep the HDD only for media. I read almost all questions here regarding this issue. So first I went on and installed HWINFO64 to see if NVME is supported. I got this result:

I saw in another thread that someone replied in the same image result from HWINFO64 that there is no PCI Express Root Port available to install an M.2 SSD drive. So I decided to open the back cover to see the slots myself. And I saw this:

So I can see the Atheros covering the first slot mentioned in the HWINFO64 picture, but next to it I see an empty M.2 slot (probably 22x80) and the RealTek component covering the second slot in the HWINFO64 picture is nowhere to be seen. 
    Am I missing something or in the empty slot I can install an M.2 SSD drive to boot Windows10 and applications even with only SATA protocol, and keep my HDD only for media????
  • brummyfan2
    Hi Acer community, I 'm reviving this thread because I bought an Aspire V5-591G-51AU laptop. It came with an HDD 1TB installed, and I want to upgrade to an M.2 SSD drive and keep the HDD only for media. I read almost all questions here regarding this issue. So first I went on and installed HWINFO64 to see if NVME is supported. I got this result:

I saw in another thread that someone replied in the same image result from HWINFO64 that there is no PCI Express Root Port available to install an M.2 SSD drive. So I decided to open the back cover to see the slots myself. And I saw this:

So I can see the Atheros covering the first slot mentioned in the HWINFO64 picture, but next to it I see an empty M.2 slot (probably 22x80) and the RealTek component covering the second slot in the HWINFO64 picture is nowhere to be seen. 
    Am I missing something or in the empty slot I can install an M.2 SSD drive to boot Windows10 and applications even with only SATA protocol, and keep my HDD only for media????

Hi,
    Yes, you can install M.2 SATA SSD 2280 in that slot, use it as a boot drive and use the 1TB HDD for storage.
    Example:https://www.ebuyer.com/824758-samsung-860-evo-250gb-m-2-ssd-mz-n6e250bw?mkwid=s_dc&pcrid=51482419619&pkw=&pmt=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9Z-T0J3G2gIVqRXTCh3_rgBdEAYYAiABEgLzzPD_BwE
  • Googs
    Googs Member Posts: 2 New User
    Seems like all NVMe – PCIe 3.1 x2 work just fine but not NVMe – PCIe 3.1 x4 in my 
    Acer Aspire V5-591G. I have tested 4 different models/brands.
    So for anyone looking to upgrade M.2 SSD on the 591G , this is my experience.
  • @GoogsOther users were able to install a nvmve gen3x4 smoothly on the VX5-591G model.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Googs
    Googs Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited January 2020
    @egydiocoelho
    You are not wrong that those with the  VX5-591G  model can run Gen3x4.
    VX5-591G = YES but V5-591G = NO
    Take note that the question was raised for the V5-591G. 

Please let me know if anyone has managed to get  Gen3x4 to run on V5-591G model.  "and if it could be considered to be called running SMOOTH"
  • I made a mistake! The V5-591G Service Manual also does not show compatibility with ssd nvme.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • kushwavez
    kushwavez Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited April 2020
    It's a little bit late I know but for anyone watching this: I have NVMe SSD (KINGSTON A2000) installed & working on my Acer Aspire V5-591G-55TU. Read speed is about 2000 MB/s with this specific card, at HWinfo64 I see the port with PCI-E x4, drive detected as PCI-e SSD
  • LJS
    LJS Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

hello guys..
    Best wishes of this festive season.
     i wish to get the same advice on a similar series laptop

I have an Acer Aspire V5-591G-71Q8 
    Luckily the product exists on Acers database. Here goes: http://www.acer.com/datasheets/2015/4876/V5-591G/NX.G66AA.001.html
    I have Hwinfo64 installed so here is the relevant image

Please tell me
    1/ tell me which SSD can I add (M.2 or replace HDD with 2.5" SATA SSD ). I much prefer the M.2 and retain the HDD as bulk storage.
    2/  guide me on cloning he windows off my HDD to the SSD
    Thanks,
    LJS
  • LJS
    LJS Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

For those who are unaware- we have these 2 images. The closeup shows location where it will accomodate M.2 
    Inputs solicited! THanks again