G9-793-79V5 Overheating issues.

Squatta
Squatta Member Posts: 28 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives

Has anyone experienced any issues with overheating. I have seen some messages about faulty thermal paste. Was wondering if this has been fixed with the newer G9-793-79V5s. Thanks.

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    I doubt that it has been fixed. How are your temperature, while gaming. You can download HWiNFO and take a record of the max and average temperatures of the cpu and gpu and post them here. Even if they are a little higher than normal undervolting will fix that.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Squatta

I am a perspective buyer and have not pulled the trigger on this purchase yet. I have heard good and bad and have had bad experience with Sales, yet a good experience with Tech Support (which basically admitted sales knows nothing about laptops). How bad has your overheating been and with which specific model? What was your second choice for a laptop if you didn't choose this one?

• ven98
    I have GX-792 and I previously had a GX-791, which I was a bit disappointed from, because the CPU was overheating way too much, because the thermal paste was bad. I decided to go for Acer again, because I mostly like the looks of the predator than any other laptop.

The laptop I have now is overheating a bit, but after undervolting the maximum temperature of the CPU I have recorded was 74C(with average of about 70C) and when overclocked the average is about 78-84C(depending on room temperature). I say these are reasonable temperatures. The GPU reaches maximum of 79-80C in a room temperature of 30C.

The second laptop I wanted to go for was MSI titan, but I have heard/read not good things about their support and since I had a good experience with Acer tech support I decided to stick with Acer. Another reason why I bought Acer was that the GPU and CPU have higher clocks. And a second reason - Acer predator is quiet even when fans are spinning at max speed and the noise it makes is similar to an air conditioner.

Users of g9-793 in this community never had problems with overheating after repasting or undervolting.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• Squatta

Did any of the following make your list:

ASUS ROGs (ASUS ROG STRIX GL702VS and ROG G752VT and ROG GL702VS), the Gigabyte P57X V7, MSIs (MSI GE72VR and GT72VR DOMINATOR PRO and GT72VR DOMINATOR PRO DRAGON), or andy Clevos (PA71HS-G and NP8372)?

• ven98
    I am not a fan of ASUS ROG laptops. I didn't like the cooling solutions of the clevo/sager.

There are many reviews for these laptops online. There you can see many of their advantages and disadvantages.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• SwissyJim
    SwissyJim Member Posts: 6 New User
    Speaking from experience, repasting the G9-793 is super easy. Found a tear down video, and had it done in about 30 mintues. Dropped my temps around 10-12 degrees Celsius.
  • soule1337
    soule1337 Member Posts: 1 New User
    @ven98 I agree with you, Im on my first Acer laptop. Had 2 Asus laptop previously both were in the same price range but the one I owned before the Acer laptop had the 970m so I was looking for a laptop with the med to high tier GPU along with decent processor.

With any performance laptop you have to have to remember first that all computer performance is limited by heat. Desktop usually have a larger surface area to dissipate heat vs. a laptop which is confined to much smaller space for all the heat generating hardware. Thus desktop have a higher thermal limit vs laptops...

With this said you have to know the hardware your buying and the physical space (laptop chasis) it will have along with cooling fans (vents/intake) vs the expect heat output of mainly the CPU and GPU. Because trying to fit the best/high tier hardware requires better cooling if you dont want constant throttling.

With some of the Asus GL702 (a laptop i was considering to buy when i bought this Acer g9 793)after reading on the specs (TDP of the hardware) and seeing the physical size I could conclude cooling would be a issue due to how thin the computer was. I have read in some of their Fourm where user have to disable turbo boost on i7700 in order to stop over heating issues....

Thankfully Acer didnt make the same sacrifice as Asus did, making super thin laptops with limited ventilation with med to high tier hardware that look great but actual performance suffers due to heat dissipation caused by the design of the chassis wanting to look good and be way to small for the performace one would expect for the hardware imo.

A GTX 1070 output 120 watts TDP/heat , I7700hq TDP (45-35) so with this in mind you need a laptop that can handle cooling about 165 at the extreme max if you want to make good use of the performance offered.

I experience slightly high temperatures with my cpu (i7700hq) but my GPU which has a higher TDP wouldn't break 60 degrees on the Predator g9 793...So i looked into doing whats called an under volt using Throttle Stop which entirely solved my higher than usually CPU temps. It still gets to 70-80 while gaming but those temps are to be expected.

Plus while reading on the Asus forum on the GL i also saw that users with the GTX 1060/1070 were running around 70-80 degree on the GPU alone in games but their issue was CPU heating...