Please add keyboard backlight timeout setting! (E5-575G-53VG)

tribblon
tribblon Member Posts: 1 New User
edited September 2023 in 2019 Archives

I recently bought an Aspire E5-575G-53VG but this request should be a no-brainer for any product with a builtin keyboard backlight.

This laptop ships with a keyboard backlight (finally), which will make some folks happy, but I was incredibly dissapointed to find that there is no way to adjust the timeout for the backlight. So, after 30 seconds it just shuts off and you have to hit a key on the keyboard to make it re-activate. There is no way to change this timeout. Instead, there is only a key to toggle it on and off. This is very annoying, especially when I'm plugged into the wall and power drain concerns are negated.

Other vendors let you set the timeout. I have an HP laptop that lets me switch between several timeout values or leave it permanently on. Macbooks don't even have a timeout.

Please consider adding this functionality in a future BIOS update to the E5-575G-53VG and other products where applicable.

Thanks.

Comments

• Ideas_Acer
    Ideas_Acer Member Posts: 284 Practitioner WiFi Icon

Thanks for your note, tribblon.  It is an interesting proposal and I will send it on to the notebook team for consideration.  I'm not too surprised that the E5 series doesn't have this feature, as the E Series is our entry level product line and it generally does not carry a lot of 'extra' features and capabilities.  I'm not certain which, if any, of the higher level models may have the timing option for backlights, but there may be some.  But regardless, I'm escalating this to the appropriate folks as a worthy feature idea.  Thanks for getting in touch!

• Daedronus
    Daedronus Member Posts: 78 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

The predator line is not entry level and we still don't get a timeout setting.

It's really annoying not to be able to adjust it.

• Ideas_Acer
    Ideas_Acer Member Posts: 284 Practitioner WiFi Icon

You make a great point, Big D.  The Predator line is FAR from entry level.  If we are going to have that feature anywhere, Predator would be the obvious place.  I'll let the boys (and girls) in Gaming know your views.  Thanks!

• friendlynexus
    friendlynexus Member Posts: 20 Networker

Acer_Ideas schrieb:

Thanks for your note, tribblon.  It is an interesting proposal and I will send it on to the notebook team for consideration.  I'm not too surprised that the E5 series doesn't have this feature, as the E Series is our entry level product line and it generally does not carry a lot of 'extra' features and capabilities.  I'm not certain which, if any, of the higher level models may have the timing option for backlights, but there may be some.  But regardless, I'm escalating this to the appropriate folks as a worthy feature idea.  Thanks for getting in touch!

An interesting proposal? By all means: I have the Alpha Switch (costing over 1000 Euro) and the backlight goes off exactly after 5 seconds (when writing and pausing) and again after 30 seconds when waking up the keyboard from 'lights off' - absolutely no way to modify these settings. This is really disappointing!! I would never have thought that such an expensive tablet has no way to change these vital settings.

Acer, you can do better!!

• ekesz13
    ekesz13 Member Posts: 3 New User

Any update on this?  I just got an E5 with backlit keyboard (one of the most important features for me) and it is annoying that it times out after 30 seconds and then the keystroke to reactivate it actually registers instead of simply turn on the backlight.  It should be very easy to remove the timeout at minimum if adding the "adjustability" is considered a "high end feature" (which is ridiculous).  Acer please give us an update!

• bizzellk
    bizzellk Member Posts: 1 New User

I have an E5-575G-57D4 and it is terrably frustrating that the keyboard lights go out.  One of the reasons that I bought it was for the back light. please add an update to be able to adjust this setting.

Thank you.

• Andrewbl
    Andrewbl Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

I am in agreement with this request. I just purchased an Aspire E5-575 and also noted there are no settings to vary the timing on the backlit keyboard. Simple solution it would seem. Please add this, or when updating the drivers, add this functionality. Thanks.

• sccavie93
    sccavie93 Member Posts: 1 New User

This is very annoying and I wish this would be FIXED ASAP!!! There are many useless features and this is NOT on of them. I HATE the fact that the light goes out so quickly.

• ducktape
    ducktape Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi,

Just purchase my laptop and I am considering returning it because the backlight keyboard shut-off after 20 second and there is no setting to adjust  this (very enerving).

Regards,

Ducktape

• friendlynexus
    friendlynexus Member Posts: 20 Networker

Hi, I encountered the same annoying (non-)feature.

I managed to work around by UNchecking the energy-saving features of devices in the HID-Branch within the Windows device manager.

Now - at least - the keyboard backlight is permanently ON (and can be switched off by pressing Fn+F9)

Mine is a Acer Switch Alpha

Maybe this tweak works for you, too!

Good luck.

-FNDevMan-HID-Acer-Backlight.PNG

• jakobkraft
    jakobkraft Member Posts: 9 New User

Has this worked for anybody? I tried unchecking all those settings but I had no luck with itSmiley Sad

• jakobkraft

Anybody?

• ekesz13
    ekesz13 Member Posts: 3 New User

It did NOT work for me. 

• jakobkraft

Thank you for replying -- glad to know I'm not the only one that 'solution' did not work forSmiley Sad

• jakobkraft

For anybody interested, I sold my Acer and got a Lenovo 15" Flex 5 -- equal specs, slightly better build quality, and yes, a CONTINUOUSLY backlit keyboard! And somehow this does not seriously affect the 8 hour average battery life I've been getting. Are you listening, Acer? Of course not...

So spare yourself the aggravation and send Acer a message -- until they catch up to Dell AND Lenovo AND Asus, all makers of laptops with CONTINOUSLY backlit keyboards -- then they are going to remain at the low end of the spectrum, where they apparently belong...

• BigCat
    BigCat Member Posts: 1 New User
    I had an older alienware laptop mainboard go bad and the 3rd party protection plan replaced it with this E 15.  This laptop actually has slightly better specs than my old aging alienware.  Sadly they must have spoiled me as I have only had alienware gaming laptops (still have 2 others) and I can't conceive why you would not have an option to keep the backlight on. I used to have shifting rainbow backlighting, now I would just be happy to have the white backlight on while I'm gaming in a dark room.  Total fail.
  • l02turner
    l02turner Member Posts: 54 Devotee WiFi Icon
    sccavie93 said:

This is very annoying and I wish this would be FIXED ASAP!!! There are many useless features and this is NOT on of them. I HATE the fact that the light goes out so quickly.

I agree completely.  I recently bought a E5 based on favorable past experience with Acer laptops and the bargain price on Amazon.  But so far the backlit keyboard not staying lit is my biggest frustration!  Yes, I know the lights come on with the touch of a key but when working, I have to remember to find the 1st key needed to complete my thought or tap the spacebar to turn on the lights.  I know eye problems my not be everyone's problem but my eyes get worse everyday.  Also, I  am not very efficient at typing blind - I NEED the backlit keys and that's why I went out of my way to find a new laptop with this feature.  But ACER is letting us down.  Like the other person who commented about their positive experience with Lenova, I was spoiled by Lenova.  Now I need to decide if I want to go through the steps of returning my laptop and buying another then downloading all ,my data and other stuff.  The backlit feature is a critical feature and all we ask is a key to turn it on and leave it on.
  • Kealoha
    Kealoha Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have this problem to.  I just got this Acer Nitro 5 for Christmas and 
  • CAGrip
    CAGrip Member Posts: 1 New User
    Just adding to the pile.  It's been a year since Triblon's post and still no satisfactory answer from Acer.  Is anyone from Acer even monitoring?  I have a sinking feeling they are not... And a sinking feeling I bought the wrong brand.
  • FrankofK
    FrankofK Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

I personally despise backlit keyboards, and am equally frustrated that the keyboard lights up on boot, even though I disable it once it's on. 

Please could you include an option for backlit keyboards, to permenently disable them even on boot?