Acer E5-573 USB 2.0 Port Not Working With External HardDrive

TJMC10
TJMC10 Member Posts: 2 New User

Hello,

I have the acer E5-573 , i bought it recently and i also got an external hard drive with a 3.0 cable . 

the thing thats bugging me is it wont work when i plug it in the usb 2.0 port and i cant figure out why , i have been searching all day and ive also unchecked ' allow computer to turn off to save power ' in the properties tab in device manager and it wont work.. ive charged my phone + used flashdrives and this external hard drive wont work .

it does work when i use the 3.0 port, maybe it doesnt have enough power?? i dont know . Smiley Sad

maybe someone can help me..thanks

Answers

• The 2.0 does work with usb drives, phones, etc. but not the external drive you have?

Have you used the drive before on 2.0?

The drive does work on 3.0?

• TJMC10
    TJMC10 Member Posts: 2 New User

It worked once with the 2.0 when i unchecked a box on the Device Manager but since then it hasnt.

ive always used the drive on the 3.0 but i wanted to know why it doesnt work on the 2.0 if its just not powerful enough to handle it or is there something i have to do ??

thanks

• An external HDD probably needs more power than a flash drive, phone,etc.

I saw one comment, it a external drive is getting old it might not get enough from a 2.0.

If the drive IS a 3.0 drive, you would want it in 3.0 for the speed.

I found some interesting info on 3.0. http://usb3pcicard.com/usb-3-0-outputs-more-power-than-usb-2-0/

Another suggestion is to try starting the computer with the drive already plugged into usb 2.0.

I never paid that much attention to the difference except that it was faster for 3.0 enabled drives and the port on the left side was handier. Now I know another reason I always plug my external drive into 3.0.

This should also cause less stress on the 2.0 port.

• VIKKU
    VIKKU Member Posts: 1 New User

Hey somebody please help me. I bought an acer E5-573 laptop about an year ago. Recently it stopped detecting pendrives I inserted into the USB ports. In fact, the actual problem is that it detects the device, but it is not displayed in My Computer. I can eject the device using safe removal option, but the device is not shown or can not be explored.

Somebody please help me.

Thank you.