Acer Aspire SW5-011 cannot boot anymore

sephiroth144
sephiroth144 Member Posts: 9 New User

Product: Acer Aspire SW5-012 with Hynix HBG4e 32gb emmc
I did some windows 8.1 updates, something went wrong and it crashs.

Then impossible to boot anymore, when you turn power on, it shows : No bootable device.

Impossible also to access the recovery partition via fn+f6 

Basically I meet the exact same problem as http://community.acer.com/t5/Switch-Series/Acer-Aspire-SW5-012-emmc-problem/td-p/495958 except the fact I have a sw5-011

Any help ?

1496316541-20170601-131940

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

recovery is Alt+F10 at boot if it doesn't work.

press F2 at boot to enter BIOS and check if there's any mention about the Emmc/SSD

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • doughjohn
    doughjohn Member Posts: 353 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Hi
    Yeah I have had that.

BIOS set supervisor password to something simple.
    Secure boot and set the boot sequence.

Then it should recover itself.
    I used a pre prepared disk, but the info given by Ironfly is really excellent.
  • sephiroth144

Hi, thanks for the suggestions

In fact when pressing fn+f10 at boot or triying power + vol up, I have the following message :

Default Boot Device Missing or Boot Failed.
    Insert Recovery Media and Hit any key
    Then Select 'Boot Manager' to choose a new Boot
    Device or to Boot Recovery Media

Nothing concerning intern memory/emmc or ssd in the uefi/bios but the model and serial : hbg4e / 4f1cad0

@doughjohn, what kind of prepare disk was it ? Hope we'll find the solution...

• IronFly

ehm...Alt+F10 not Fn+F10

and to enter BIOS is F2 only

• sephiroth144

Yes Alt+f10 sorry, I've got the above message (Default boot missing) and a ok button.

When I click Ok, I've got the bellow screen where only the escape button works to reboot the tablet

IMG_20170816_073048.jpg

• doughjohn
    doughjohn Member Posts: 353 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

Hi

It was a DVD in my case, although it could have been USB with a downloaded Windows 10 .iso expanded (burnt) onto it.

Using Linux only.... Windows 10 iso is available from here...

Download windows 10 in opensuse - you dont go via the creation tool.
    http www technicalnotes dot org / direct-link-download-windows-10-iso-without-media-creation-tool/   Explains how and links directly.

Download Windows 10 ISO 32-bit  www.microsoft dot com /en-us/ software-download /

windows10ISO

Download Windows 10 ISO 64-bit at the same address

but you will need somewhere to save the 4 Gb iso file prior to creating a USB medium, and a suitable utility. 

You need a creator tool of your own and some say rufus is good. Maybe Unetbootin?

• IronFly

can you please press F2 at boot and check under boot list if there's a windows boot manager or Emmc listed?

if it's listed, the next step is to try to repair your installation with a windows 8.1 bootable media:

First of all try to check if ALT+F10 at boot take you to windows 8.x-10 recovery and you can reach command prompt from there:
    troubleshoot-advanced options- command prompt (if this works, go to point 4, if not point 1)
    1. create a vanilla Windows 8.1 or 10 installation media from this link:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
    2. Once you boot using the Windows installation disc, on the Windows 8.x-10 installation window, click on Repair your computer.
    3. Click on Troubleshoot and in the Advanced options. First thing you may try is the Automatic Repair.
    4. If that does not help, then select Command Prompt. Enter the following four commands into the prompt.
    bootrec /fixmbr
    bootrec /fixboot
    bootrec /scanos
    bootrec /rebuildbcd
    Once the command completes, restart the computer.

• sephiroth144

I did the F2 to enter the bios but there's nothing concerning windows or emmc listed in boot menu

The only choices are : "Network Boot:IPV4:", "USB HDD:" and "USB CDROM:"

Nevertheless, I did create a win8.1 usb bootable key and try to repair without success

I did also the command lines thru another WinpPE usb key without results after reboot :-(

I've noticed that the C partition is RAW, impossible to format and change into ntfs (I don't care anymore about the datas)

sw5-011.jpg

• IronFly

on BIOS informatino tab, any sign of the Emmc?

Emmc model name/serial number?

from windows 8.1 or winPE, using diskpart

are you able to give a 

clean all

command?

if it works, don't format it but run the windows 8.1 installer and let windows installation format it.

• sephiroth144

I have EMMC in the info menu

EMMC Model Named : HBG4e

EMMC Serial Number : 4F1CAD0

Diskpart clean all is in progress, I'll let you know once finished

• sephiroth144

Looks like there's no problem with Diskpart, the diskpart clean all apparently worked, no error.

But I still cannot reinstall Windows, I have an error when installing Win 8.1 :

Windows could not format a partition on disk 0.
    The error occurred while preparing the partition selected for installation. Error code: 0x80070057

• IronFly

any sign of the old partitions or it's all unallocated/Raw?

can you please try to format using Diskpart?

diskpart 
    list disk 
    select disk 0
    clean 
    create partition primary 
    select partition 1
    active
    format fs=ntfs

• sephiroth144

The partitions are still present even after a diskpart clean ; which sais the cleaning has worked fine.

I tried to shrink the biggest partition but no differences : it sais it worked but I have the exact same situation like if nothing happened. Then I cannot create new partitions because the usable space isn't enought on the emmc

That's a completely weird...

• IronFly

last resort can be a live gparted bootable media and check if it's able to get rid of the actual partitions:

http://gparted.org/liveusb.php

if not, probably there are some damaged blocks on Emmc and can't be addressed by the controller.

• sephiroth144

I cannot delete partitions with gparted, they appear again each time I delete them

Any tool to reset this emmc ?

• IronFly

i'm out of ideas.

• Hairyman4u
    Hairyman4u Member Posts: 1 New User
    Sorry to revive this old thread, did you ever get it figured out?
    I installed windows 10 on it and within the week it gave me the same issue as yours.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    It's better to go ahead and start a new thread for your issue @Hairyman4u. You aren't very likely to get good visibility when posting to a five year old one.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.