Touch pad is not working also the update firmware v1.17 keeps on failing. Please help.

mncmrsfrnnd
mncmrsfrnnd Member Posts: 7 New User
Touch pad is not working also the update firmware v1.17 keeps on failing. Please help. Btw, I'm using Aspire E 14 E5-473-304W.

Answers

• Hydden
    Hydden Member Posts: 4 New User

Don't worry trying to download the firmware, for some reason the device got turned off. press windows+x select device manager (M) and then enable the touchpad (see picture below)

Big red rectangle at bottom = device that needs to be enabled.

Small red square at top = button to enable (will be green before you fix it, when it is grey touchpad will work)

touchpad_activate.png

• mncmrsfrnnd

Hi, Thank you for replying.

I did your instruction (see screenshot below) but still my touchpad isn't working. I guess it's really broken. And I'm honestly **bleep** since I didn't do anything for it to be broken!

I bought it last May 29, 2016 and I rarely use this laptop. I just noticed that the touchpad isn't working when I try to use it (since I prefer using a mouse) and then I received a notification in my Acer care center that i have "1 critical update" - which is the touchpad firmware v1.17 (see 2nd screenshot). That made me think that I need to update my laptop in order to use the touchpad. But when I try to update the said firmware it kept on failing. and so that's why I stumble on to this forum.

Anyway, thank you for replying to my post. Smiley Sad

2016-12-07 (2).png2016-12-07 (1).png

• Hi,

You could give this a try, go to Settings, Devices, select Touchpad in the left pane, scroll down the page and click Reset.

Capture.JPG

• mncmrsfrnnd

Hello, I don't know why but this are the only options in my laptop..

Thank you for answering.

2016-12-07 (3).png

• Could you please go to BIOS and see whether you could change the Touchpad mode to Advanced( as in the snip),

If it shows Basic, click it and change to Advanced.

PIC_2113.JPG

• mncmrsfrnnd

I'm sorry but I don't know where to find the "BIOS". Though I looked at the User's Manual and it said to press F2.  Also, if I follow the instructions, what will happen to my files? will it be erased? maybe I should back up it first..

• Hi,

As soon as you press the Power button, press F2 before the OS starts.

• Hydden
    Hydden Member Posts: 4 New User
    I noticed in your screen shot for mouse settings there is a blue button that says advanced mouse options. Have you checked whether reset is in there?
  • mraiur
    mraiur Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

I have the same problem ( VN792G ) on windows 10 pro 64bit. After the update the touchpad works only with click, cant move or anything else.

Tried to change the Touchpad mod from Advanced to basic in the BIOS. After that installed the synaptic driver and this showed Synaptic settings. Still not working.

After that changed again Basic to Advanced and synaptic app disappeared and after reboot only the CLICK worked after Fn+F7 to enable the touchpad.

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,077 Trailblazer

mraiur wrote:

I have the same problem ( VN792G ) on windows 10 pro 64bit. After the update the touchpad works only with click, cant move or anything else.

Tried to change the Touchpad mod from Advanced to basic in the BIOS. After that installed the synaptic driver and this showed Synaptic settings. Still not working.

After that changed again Basic to Advanced and synaptic app disappeared and after reboot only the CLICK worked after Fn+F7 to enable the touchpad.

Hi,

Sorry for the late response, could you please check the versions of drivers fro HID-compliant mouse and Synaptics HID device in Human interface devices in Device manager.

Capture.JPG

• mraiur

Tinkerer

Capture.PNG

The most strange part is that only Single click works. Tried to remove every external peripheria and nothing changed.

And the touch pad worked, but after the "good sugestion" from the Acer Care Center to update the firmware it stopped.

• brummyfan2

Hi,

Try running sfc /scannow to repair any damaged system files, if that doesn't solve the problem, use DISM command to restore health, please follow the instructions in these tutorials. Please read the note in Option one.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2895-run-sfc-command-windows-10-a.html

• mraiur

Tinkerer

scf /scannow

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

Dit it several times from the recovery mod, admin powershell. Also read that fastboot could have something to do with the problem. Disabled it and did another scan, reboot without any other peripherials and scanned again.

Nothing and i think the problem is not windows 10 but the firmware it self or atleast the delivery method.

• brummyfan2

Hi,

I don't know how to revert to previous firmware, I still believe that it's a driver problem, you may have to try different drivers but it has it's disadvantages, you may get crashes and BSOD if you install incompatible driver, I would suggest you to backup your system image using Macrium reflect, create a bootable recovery disk with the same program or similar program, if anything goes wrong you can revert to your original working state.

Other options to try are a Repair install, this will delete your data and installed programs, so you need to backup everything important to you.

or a clean install of Windows 10, this may or may not fix the problem.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-clean-install-windows-10-a.html

• mraiur

Tinkerer

Hi,

tried 3 versions of the driver and each version tried with Basic/Advanced mode from BIOS, but no improvement.
    Can't try a full reinstall or restore because i use it for work also and cant afford a day to setup it.

• brummyfan2

Hi,

Sorry, I have run out of ideas but please wait for someone else help you.

• mraiur

Tinkerer

Still not found a solution but to update what i have tried.

- Removed all drives and driver files. Disabled secure boot from BIOS.
     You can see drivers and driver files from admin powershel ( WIN+X -> Windows PowerShell ( Admin ) and type
     pnputil.exe -e
     then when you see synaptic get the Published name for example oem36.inf

an delete it with
     pnputil.exe -d oem36.inf
    ( use -f to force it the device is busy )

- Removed Intel IO manager ( because aperantly it handles hardwhere as well )

- Tried reflashing the firmware for the touchpad. But because it is up to the latest version nothing.

- Tried reflashing the bios from 1.09 -> 1.08 and nothing

• mraiur

Tinkerer

Tried also Running again ubuntu ( i was under ubuntu for serveral months and the touchpad worked ), but it stopped working under it also.

Done fresh install of windows 10, but the touchpad was not working even in the installer ( before it worked ).

After install, windows updates, drivers still not working.

Again it strange that only CLICK works.

Please if someone finds the original firmware to share it. Thanks!