Aspire TC-120 BIOS (EFI) Recovery

JimmyD
JimmyD Member Posts: 3 New User
edited December 2017 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops

Recently my PC has started booting into the Bios menu (recovery tab) instead of going straight to windows. The message on the recovery tab is "Rom Image update denied, EFI_Aborted Rom Image is not loaded". Once I hit escape and enter it goes ahead and boots to windows. I don't think I have made any changes that would have caused this. Anyone have an idea why this is happening?

Answers

• doughjohn
    doughjohn Member Posts: 353 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

Hi

No not really.  It could be anything related to the HDD or POST.

So if it is an area of the HDD causing the problem, a suitable recovery strategy is suggested.

Macrium Reflect is highly regarded.

ROM Read Only Memory may refer to the BIOS directly as being the area of concern.

So what screen actually comes up?

And what options, if any, are listed?

The rom_image denial could be an update or a Root-Kit. 

Therefore I suggest several scanners are used. 

Anti-Virus; MalwareBytes and perhaps Kaspersky for short term install and hopefully provide an insight and peace of mind.

If in doubt please ask.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

apart a complete antivirus scan as suggested, enter BIOS pressing Del key, check the BIOS version and report here.

also press F9 to load defaults and then press F10 to save and exit.

if your BIOS version is below P11.A4, please update it:

https://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/BIOS/BIOS/BIOS_Acer_P11.A4_A_A.zip?acerid=636020995971476630&Step1=DESKTOP&Step2=ASPIRE&Step3=ASPIRE%20TC-120&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • JimmyD

The bios version is P11-A4.

The screen that it boots up to is the Bios Setup Utility screen.

I run Norton Security and Malwarbytes Premium and both scans come back clean.

I have already loaded the bios defaults numerous times.

Something I forgot to mention is as it is booting up it gives 4 short beeps. Some things I have read says this can be caused by ram sticks not being inserted securely. I have 2 sticks and have rebooted seperate times with each in slot 1 and it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Any other ideas?

• doughjohn
    doughjohn Member Posts: 353 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

Hi

Well a long shot is CMOS battery going flat.

Also the BIOS defaults are not necessarily the best. 

It could be that a setting needs changing and then saving via F10 so that the HDD, Memory parameters, Boot sequence and time and date etc are current.

4 short beeps can be memory as you say, it can also be a timing issue.

• rob6
    rob6 Member Posts: 1 New User

I have the same problem on ACER Aspire TC-280 AMD A10-7800 3GHz 8GB 2TB when resuming from suspend. I'm using Ubuntu 17.04.

I don't see the problem when booting cold, only at resume from suspend.

• JimmyD

I never could figure out how to fix this problem. I finally bought another computer.

• shawnn
    shawnn Member Posts: 1 New User
    Im having the exact same issue with a TC-220 running Windows 10. 
    Upon resume I get booted into the bios and the error is EFI_Aborted. ROM image is not loaded. I can save and exit and it will then resume my PC with the apps still running.

Replaced the battery
    Moved the RAM around. 

• fbp
    fbp Member Posts: 3 New User

I experienced the same problem just after W10 upgrade of my TC-115. The computer opened in the bios at the page of Recovery.

I ignored it the problem, and now the problem evolved into the “black screen death” 
  • Zooomer
    Zooomer Member Posts: 2 New User
    Having the exact same black screen of death problem with TC-120 running Win10. Amazing that no one from Acer monitors this site to help. This is obviously a problem area as I have seen a number of people having the same problem.
    It starts to boot into Windows, then goes to Automatic Recovery. Then a very quick message that it will needs an update (hard to read as it disappears almost too fast to read).  One time it booted into a screen for BIOS update (even though the PC has Ver. P11-A4 which is the latest). I exited that screen and now it never comes back to that. 
    I booted into a Win10 install flash stick and ran their repair utility. It seemed to fix the problem and I was able to boot into Win10 successfully. But the next day the same black screen of death problem.
  • TedMac
    TedMac Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited August 2018

Same problem, TC-280 with the AMD chipset.  BIOS is P11-A4.

Is it possible it is failing to install one of the microcode updates that Microsoft has started building into Windows in order to address the Spectre/Meltdown issues?

I only see it on cold boots.  Once the error is acknowledged, the machine boots normally.

• TedMac
    TedMac Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited August 2018
    IronFly said:

apart a complete antivirus scan as suggested, enter BIOS pressing Del key, check the BIOS version and report here.

also press F9 to load defaults and then press F10 to save and exit.

if your BIOS version is below P11.A4, please update it:

https://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/BIOS/BIOS/BIOS_Acer_P11.A4_A_A.zip?acerid=636020995971476630&Step1=DESKTOP&Step2=ASPIRE&Step3=ASPIRE%20TC-120&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6

@IronFly Where is the native link for this?  When I go to the TC-280 support page it doesn't show a section for BIOS updates, just drivers, etc...
  • IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    edited August 2018
    It's for TC-120 not 280
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • nathdoty
    nathdoty Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have the same trouble, thank!

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    edited October 2018
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • leeman58
    leeman58 Member Posts: 2 New User
    I have an Acer Aspire TC-120 desktop I keep getting this REALLY loud buzzing sound the a blue screen from windows with a(frown face)): icon and say the it is reporting error: stopcode KERNEL SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE then I have turn my computer off and power up again manually(sometimes a couple of times)and then somestimes it still doesn't start up properly 
  • I check you commented on another topic @leeman58. Ideally, you create a new topic by clicking ask a question. Add me by putting an @.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • The disk may have unallocated space or offline maclane . It is important that he verify this.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• minDilanim
    minDilanim Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

TedMac said:

Is it possible it is failing to install one of the microcode updates that Microsoft has started building into Windows in order to address the Spectre/Meltdown issues?

I only see it on cold boots.  Once the error is acknowledged, the machine boots normally.

This BIOS version on my TC-280 says (BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. P11-A4, 26/04/2016) and the same version on Acer website says 2020/01/25, which confused me and I downloaded and ran it on my computer, now I have issue that my computer keeps wake up on a crashed BIOS screen all the time. I am not sure how to fix it

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/support-product/6834?b=1
  • minDilanim said: TedMac said:
    This BIOS version on my TC-280 says (BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. P11-A4, 26/04/2016) and the same version on Acer website says 2020/01/25, which confused me and I downloaded and ran it on my computer, now I have issue that my computer keeps wake up on a crashed BIOS screen all the time. I am not sure how to fix it

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/support-product/6834?b=1
    For some reason, the IT team only released these files in 2020. But note that the bios files were modified in 2016 and not in 2020:

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• minDilanim
    minDilanim Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

He uses the term (I never fully powered down.) , what does this mean? Here we are talking about a Desktop unit TC-280 and I have the same issue after I updated the BIOS to P11-A4 AA from Acer site