Predator G9-793-78CM: Disable Raid 0

drunkenpeasant
drunkenpeasant Member Posts: 3 New User
edited January 2018 in Predator Laptops

Hi,

My laptop came with two 128GB Lite-On SSDs in Raid 0 configuration. I'd like to break the array and use the SSDs as two separate drives. Can someone please tell me how do I go about it? There's no option in the BIOS to disable it, tried both UEFI and Legacy mode. The option to change Sata mode to AHCI from RAID is always greyed out. I think there's no point in keeping the Raid 0 configuration. I do not notice any performance gain

Best Answer

Answers

• drunkenpeasant
    drunkenpeasant Member Posts: 3 New User

Thanks! Worked flawlessly. I now have two seperate SSDs, and they perform as fast as they did while in RAID 0. 

• Archaegeo
    Archaegeo Member Posts: 3 New User

Thanks for this, let me install my 512 intel 600 drive and then unbind the two 128s it came with. Nice explanation!

• maged120990
    maged120990 Member Posts: 12 New User

Hello,

I own a Predator G9-593 and when trying to follow the steps I got a message on the Command Prompt that said "Intel (R) RST CLI version 14.8 cannot be used with version 15.2 of the driver"

What should I do?

Thank you in advance.

• Neggy-Z
    Neggy-Z Member Posts: 2 New User

For anyone having the "Intel (R) RST CLI version **.* cannot be used with version **.* of the driver" issue you need to download the RST CLI version to match the driver version.

If the driver version is 15.2 then you need to download RST CLI v15.2.

Google it to find the version you need.

Once downloaded replace the old rstcli64.exe with the one you downloaded.

• TheVielusos78
    TheVielusos78 Member Posts: 7 New User
    Hey, i have the same problem but it says : "Intel (R) RST CLI version 15.2 cannot be used with version 15.5 of the driver" when i try to use the Raid_tool, please help me :, ( 
    I have a predator g9-793 (ssd 250 gb et 1to HDD).

• G1ggity
    G1ggity Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have a 593, Ive tried this hack several times to no avail. after typing "delete" the command line repeats "cannot load system information" three times, then I get a done message. I hit enter to reboot and everything's just as it was.
  • midjji
    midjji Member Posts: 5 New User
    I get the same result as g1ggity, first time it said raid deleted, later attempts show nothing. But the raid is still there. 
  • kenpat
    kenpat Member Posts: 1 New User
    I am having this issue now. Please help fix.
    (Intel rapid cli 15.2 cannot work with version 16.0 of the driver.)
  • IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    edited April 2018
    the RAID tool doesn't work anymore, the only way to break the RAID array is using a Gparted live bootable image and format the HDD as NFTS, deleting any partition on it or (if it didn't work) wipe/erase completly writing 0 on the HDD (HDD only, not SSD)
    https://gparted.org/livecd.php

or you can try this (i don't have a RAID system to test it):
    1) press Alt+F10 at boot to enter Windows recovery then choose troubleshoot - Advanced options - Command Prompt
    if this worked jump to point 8)
    2) download a windows 10 iso using Microsof tool:
    select the proper windows 10 version (the same installed on your laptop) and choose to save it as iso file when prompted
    3) download Rufus:
    plug your USB flash drive, run Rufus then:
    select ISO image from the dropdown menu near "Create a bootable disk"
    click on the little icon on the right and browse to the windows 10 downloaded iso file
    as  Partitions scheme select "GPT partition scheme for UEFI"
    as File system select "FAT32"
    click on Start
    wait until it finish, then uplug your USB flash drive
    4) backup all your personal data 
    5) Reboot to BIOS, pressing F2 at boot if it's a laptop or Del key if it's a desktop, then press F9 to load default and F10 to save and exit
    6) plug your USB flash drive and at boot press F12 (if F12 doesn't work, see if it auto-recognise the USB flash drive or press F2 or Del key to enter BIOS and enable F12 boot menu under BOOT tab), choose the USB flash drive as bootable device
    7) once at language/keyboard selection, press shift+F10, a command prompt will open
    8) type
    Diskpart
    list disk
    select disk x (x is the number of your HDD // not SSD!!!)
    clean all
    exit
    exit again to close command prompt

It will take some hours to completly wipe the HDD and probably you will need to re-install windows 10 from scratch, so backup all the data you need!

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • vonbetelgeuse
    vonbetelgeuse Member Posts: 20 Troubleshooter
    IronFly said:
    the RAID tool doesn't work anymore, the only way to break the RAID array is using a Gparted live bootable image and format the HDD as NFTS, deleting any partition on it or (if it didn't work) wipe/erase completly writing 0 on the HDD (HDD only, not SSD)
    https://gparted.org/livecd.php

or you can try this (i don't have a RAID system to test it):
    1) press Alt+F10 at boot to enter Windows recovery then choose troubleshoot - Advanced options - Command Prompt
    if this worked jump to point 8)
    2) download a windows 10 iso using Microsof tool:
    select the proper windows 10 version (the same installed on your laptop) and choose to save it as iso file when prompted
    3) download Rufus:
    plug your USB flash drive, run Rufus then:
    select ISO image from the dropdown menu near "Create a bootable disk"
    click on the little icon on the right and browse to the windows 10 downloaded iso file
    as  Partitions scheme select "GPT partition scheme for UEFI"
    as File system select "FAT32"
    click on Start
    wait until it finish, then uplug your USB flash drive
    4) backup all your personal data 
    5) Reboot to BIOS, pressing F2 at boot if it's a laptop or Del key if it's a desktop, then press F9 to load default and F10 to save and exit
    6) plug your USB flash drive and at boot press F12 (if F12 doesn't work, see if it auto-recognise the USB flash drive or press F2 or Del key to enter BIOS and enable F12 boot menu under BOOT tab), choose the USB flash drive as bootable device
    7) once at language/keyboard selection, press shift+F10, a command prompt will open
    8) type
    Diskpart
    list disk
    select disk x (x is the number of your HDD // not SSD!!!)
    clean all
    exit
    exit again to close command prompt

It will take some hours to completly wipe the HDD and probably you will need to re-install windows 10 from scratch, so backup all the data you need!

Has there been a better fix to this since? This looks in over my head :scream:
  • NaiduSachin
    NaiduSachin Member Posts: 1 New User
    IronFly said:

Symptoms
    User can't delete RAID array, RAID option greyed on BIOS.

Diagnosis
    User can create the RAID array via "Intel Rapid Storage Technology UI" (iRST) on Windows but can't delete RAID by "iRST" and RAID is the only option on BIOS (AHCI option is missing).

Before deleting the RAID array
    Always remember to do the windows recovery media before running the RAID tool to delete the array.
    With the help of the Acer Care Center (pre-installed on your system), you can create the windows recovery media on an USB stick, so you can reinstall it later.
    In the AcerCare Center, click Recovery Management -> Getting Started, and then follow the instructions.
    http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38147

You can also perform a backup of your actual windows installation, so using the windows recovery media, you can reload your OS at the time of the backup.
    Press Windows logo key and type "backup"
    click on "Backup and restore" and then follow on screen instructions.
    http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/37461

Solution
    First of all, check the Volume name of your array on "iRST".
    Press windows logo key and type "intel"
    click on "Intel Rapid Storage Technology"
    click on "Yes" if prompted
    check on the right side, under "Storage System View", that "Volume_0000" or "OEMRAID0" is the name of the array.

if Type description is:
    RAID 1 or Recovery - no data will be lost
    RAID 0  - all your data will be lost - you will need to re-install Windows

Download the RAID tool
    ftp://ftp.acer-euro.com/Notebook/Predator/G9-793/RAID_Tool.zip

Right click the downloaded RAID_Tool.zip file  
    click on "Extract all"
    Click on "Browse..." 
    Click on "Computer"
    Click on "C:" (normally it's labeled "Acer (C: )
    Click on "Ok"
    Click on "Extract"

Now click on the Windows logo at the bottom left of your screen
    Click on the Power icon
    Press Shift key and click on "Restart"
    On the next screen click on "Troubleshooting"
    On the next screen click on "Advanced settings"
    On the next screen click on "Command Prompt"
    Select your account and type your password (if any)

At Command prompt 
    type C:
    type CD Raid_tool
    type delete

Once successfully deleted, press Enter and then reboot your PC.
    The RAID array will be deleted.

Could you please provide me this RAID_Tool.zip file? I am not able to open the file.. it is asking for username and password and my HDD became totally unusable.