Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4 Wireless Network Adapter driver 12.0.0.116 gives slow speed.

bhagatbhushan_k
bhagatbhushan_k Member Posts: 6 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives

I bought aspire V3-574G-54VY one month back. It is running on windpws 10 64-bit. There is one issue with the Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4 Wireless Network Adapter. Whenever I update the driver to version 12.0.0.116 I face extreamly slow internet. But when I rollback to previous driver version i.e. 4.0.0.115, the speed is proper. Can anyone help me regarding this issue as I am not able to identify whether I have a faulty laptop or not. The service center even replaced the wifi card but still the same issue is coming back. Thanks in advance.

Best Answer

• bhagatbhushan_k
    Answer ✓

Hi guys finally I found the exact problem with the help of service engineer

The problem was with power settings. When the laptop was plugged in it was taking the full speed and on battery mode slow. The solution is : 

Goto settings -> system -> power and sleep -> additional power settings -> change plan settings (of selected plan)

OR

Goto Search -> type Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Power Options -> -> change plan settings (of selected plan)

Then

change advance power settings -> wireless adapter settings -> power saving mode -> Set On battery to maximum performance

Check your speed now(restart if required)

I am now using the updated driver 12.0.0.191 and internet speed is proper. 

Answers

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder

Hello bhagatbhushan_k

Because the service dept. swapped out your wireless card, I'd say there is a driver issue.

If the laptop works fine on the older driver then stick with it. Was it causing any other problems? Do you have a reason to update the driver?

• bhagatbhushan_k

Hi finlux,  

The driver and wifi card were incompatible even before the service center replcaced them. I also don't have any specific reason to update the driver but I am just concerned wheather the wifi card will face issues in near future. kindly suggest me if I should stick to this driver or ask acer to provide a solution.

• finlux

Hello again!

I'd stick with the driver that works. There is no reason to upgrade it to the one that doesn't work.

• bhagatbhushan_k
    Answer ✓

Hi guys finally I found the exact problem with the help of service engineer

The problem was with power settings. When the laptop was plugged in it was taking the full speed and on battery mode slow. The solution is : 

Goto settings -> system -> power and sleep -> additional power settings -> change plan settings (of selected plan)

OR

Goto Search -> type Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Power Options -> -> change plan settings (of selected plan)

Then

change advance power settings -> wireless adapter settings -> power saving mode -> Set On battery to maximum performance

Check your speed now(restart if required)

I am now using the updated driver 12.0.0.191 and internet speed is proper. 

• finlux
    That's great. Glad you're now fixed!
  • bramr
    bramr Member Posts: 2 New User

Did did not work for me. Running Windows 10 with driver 12.0.0.191.

I've been having problems with wifi since i've buyed this laptop (now 8 months). It allready went to the repair center TWICE and nothing helped. The internet is litterly full with topic's where people are complaining about this particular wifi card. Why doesn't Acer solve this problem..

• bhagatbhushan_k

When i was facing the problem my ***** and downloads from some sites lke Oracle were working just fine. You can test the same by downloading through BitTorrent or download JDK from Oracle. If they are working fine then your card is in good condition and problem might be software related.

• bramr
    bramr Member Posts: 2 New User

I'm 100 % sure it's not software related. I have tested via speedtest.net (and other websites), torrents and lan file transfer. I'm stuck at 4-5 Mbit if I'm lucky, most of the time the adapter just loses connection or times out.

• Kras3169
    Kras3169 Member Posts: 8 New User

I agree with you that it's not a software problem, it's the QCA61x4 wireless card.  I'm having the same problem as you.  It get's horrible range and it's slow if you're not ridiculously close to the router (I tried buying a WiFi net extender, which helped with this), but it also constantly loses the connection.

Like you, I've seen all the complaints on the Internet about this wireless card.  It seems like the only way to fix it is by replacing the card itself.  I'm not sure why Acer chose to use these wireless cards.  They are awful.

• SHAILU
    SHAILU Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi Bharatbhushan,

After a couple of weeks of operation the wifi was suddenly gone. It wouldn't turn ON. Tried the rollback driver but didn't work. Just now tried your remedy , now the wifi is back and running. Though have kept the setting to "medium battery usage".   But after restart it is working. Many Thanks for your Help. Regards, Shailu.

• pdnRPH
    pdnRPH Member Posts: 30 New User

Hi,

Where do you get the 12.0.0.191 driver?

• pdnRPH

Where do you get the v 12.0.0.191?

• netmouse
    netmouse Member Posts: 1 New User

What speed are you getting?   I get 50.  If I instead use the ethernet cable the speed is 70.   Is the wireless 5 ghz or 2.4 ghz ?

• bhagatbhushan_k

simply updated from device manager

• pdnRPH

Had to go to 12.0.0.191

All depends on the stupid ISP.

In Network and Sharing Center, I show: 866.7 5GZ

However, with my ISP, Comcast/Xfinity the speed is: 136.18MBS download and 5.54mps upload Smiley Sad

I am still faster than my wife's Acer that is 6 years old, though.

All stupid. Acer needs to fix this with Qualcomm Atheros

• shofi
    shofi Member Posts: 3 New User

Acer needs to fix this issue with Qualcomm Atheros

• Kras3169

How do you put a defective network adapter in a premium laptop and then do absolutely nothing to help your customers?  They didn't even put the correct network adapter in my laptop.  According to the sticker on the bottom of my laptop, my VN7-571G-719D is supposed to have a QCNFA344 network adapter but they put a QCA61x4 chip in it.

How do you put the WRONG network adapter in a laptop and offer no solution?  How is it even legal to put a different chip in the laptop then what's advertised on the product itself?

• pdnRPH

The whole thing is ridiculous and sad. I just had an update to creators update and my wifi went sour. I tried the .119, and bad. I tried the .116, and bad. I went back to the 4.0.2.262 and it now works and even comes on when it comes from sleep. Can't believe how support has been so poorly.

• shofi
    shofi Member Posts: 3 New User

Problem is Still remain in Windows 10 creator update !!

In earlier version of windows 10’s default driver working fine. But when I get creator update Wi-Fi become slow. I tried to update Wi-Fi driver but didn’t work, also tried to install old driver but unable to install. So Why Acer is not giving new update!!

• Kras3169

I installed the driver update too.  It did absolutely nothing to fix the problem.  I once immediately received a message from Acer for my language on a post one time but when it comes to actually helping solve problems, they don't respond at all.  Maybe we she should expose them on social media and make a big stink about it.  Maybe then they'll actually get concerned, and suddenly want to help.

Acer put a different network card in our computers than what was advertised.  How is that not illegal?  And if they use the excuse that it was an accident, why aren't they doing anything to fix their mess up?