Acer laptop 3.5 years old broken left hinge issue

zavoraad
zavoraad Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Left hinge broke on my Acer laptop here on March 13, 2017, and when I tried to close my laptop not realizing the plastic had split it cracked my touch screen.  I called Acer to see if this issue had been addressed as a "known issue" that they would repair but it isn't.  I also asked if the newer laptops have addressed this problem and I could purchase one without worrying about it, but they would not comment on that and just said anything outside of 3 years isn't covered.

A quick Google search has turned up this issue as fairly common and occuring anywhere from 6 months and beyond of ownership.  Can anyone tell me if the newer laptops they produce have this issue?  I can't see myself justifying buying a similar product with the exact same issue that Acer refuses to address when you have other options for which the hardware seems much more stable and the cost comparable.  Does anyone have any insight to this beyond what I've experienced?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer

>>>A quick Google search has turned up this issue as fairly common and occuring anywhere from 6 months and beyond of ownership. >>>

Not common. But does happen to most brands in my experience. Especially when one is in the habit of regularly and often opening and closing the lid on stepping away from the machine. The other vulnerability from this habit are the conductor trace lines on the video ribbon cable which threads tightly thru the hinge area. Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• TJ4
    TJ4 Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi there I just posted on another thread - this exact thing happened to me (and I often dont close the lid so its not from overuse).

• JackE

So can you roughly estimate how many times you do open & close the lid in a day or so? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• aeperry06
    aeperry06 Member Posts: 1 New User

My laptop is having the same issue with the left hinge suddenly not working and ACER of course isn't gonna tell you in writing that this is normal DESPITE the many receipts(proof) all throughout the internet and in these discussion boards where ACER has YET to provide any answers that doesn't require us spending money on a problem that is CLEARLY an ACER problem. We're not blind or dumb ACER. 

This is personally my last time purchasing an ACER laptop. It saddens me that they KNOW of this issue and will do nothing to correct it in their future laptops. They're pulling the obsolete scam method from Apple. Shame on you Acer. Shame.

* walks off with my broken laptop that's gonna stay broken because I refuse to but into the scam #ItsThePrinciple *

• zavoraad

After seeing the comments on here and Acer's response; I will not purchase an Acer again.

I'm very dissapointed in Acer's customer support, their lack of support in their product, and their failure to acknowledge anything wrong that needs to be fixed/addressed.  

Instead I have purchased a Macbook.  The store I bought the Acer from suggested one instead, insisting that although it is twice the cost, it is a much nicer product and after reading some reviews I expect this laptop to last well over 6 years.  Cost up front is more initially, but value is much greater than that of an Acer.  

So far a very happy Mac customer.  I would advise stearing clear of Acer.

• Karp-Acer_Retired
    Karp-Acer_Retired Member Posts: 2,599 Guru

We are sorry you are having this issue. We recommend sending the unit to repair. The hinge is a common component that produces a lot of stress. Please check for service in your region.

https://www.acer.com/worldwide/

minimizar para MAXIMIZAR.

Descubra a mais recente e inovadora tecnologia que chegará no mercado, next@acer.
  • zavoraad

Thanks but I was already advised not to fix as it would cost less to purchase a new laptop of similar quality.

• Pinkie1
    Pinkie1 Member Posts: 6 New User

DON'T BE A SUCKER, BUY ANOTHER BRAND.  The exact thing just happened to my V-5 571P and the ONLY times it is folded up is to move it from my desk to the living room 3-4 times a month in order to stream some Netflix to the TV.  It has NEVER been taken out of my house and its cover is seldomly closed.

Face facts, ACER makes junk.

I'm going to ask my sweet daughter what to buy - she's a corporate attorney and clumsy. 

Richard

• Pinkie1
    Pinkie1 Member Posts: 6 New User

"So can you roughly estimate how many times you do open & close the lid in a day or so? Jack E/NJ"

Does this mean if the ACER laptop has been opened and closed less than a certain number of times/day, ACER will repair it?  

Mine was closed then opened less than 3 times per WEEK (and NEVER dropped) before the left hinge shifted causing the touch screen to crack.  WILL ACER FIX MINE AT NO CHARGE?

Richard

• JackE

Pinkie1>>>WILL ACER FIX MINE AT NO CHARGE?>>>

I'd guess 'no' if not within a warranty or extended warranty period. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ