Aspire VX 15 - Fan Speed Control (is is possible or not?)

Wildkatze
Wildkatze Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives

Hello, I have an issue with my new laptop, when I am during game play and the CPU allong with the GPU get a high demand, they overheat and I have reached temperatures of 83 degrees Celcius on them. I am using a cooling pad, but id does mostly nothing, despite it's high performance characteristics. I have tried multiple applications to speed up the 2 fans from the MB, but it seems that their speed is not customizable and they are not recognised by any app. The fans do not even speed up in RPM as the temperature rises inside the CPU and GPU which is not cool. I took the laptop in the dedicated Acer service from my country and those guys did nothing and gave me no answer about the way to speed up the fans to this toy, I am pretty sure that although most of the CPUs have a range of tempretatures in which it is normal to perform, but 83 degrees sounds too much.

I know that there must be a way to speed them up, maybe there is something wrong with the temperature sensor on the MB if there is any. I have performed a BIOS update recently and I have to mention that in the 30 seconds while the BIOS was being updated, the fans went really crazy  and started to scream cused by th RPM as during the update they hve detected that the temp. is too high, but after the update was complete everything went back to normal.

I am running a windows 10 - 64 bit an BIOS on legacy (InsydeH2O Version 05.11.35V1.05).

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ

System Model: Aspire VX5-591G

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder

Do you have Acer quick access application? It has an option called CoolBoost, which should increase the speed of your fans. If you don't have it, download it from here: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7094?b=1

Edit: If you have already tried that, then you can contact Acer's online tech support and ask them why doesn't your device have this feature.

Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Wildkatze

I have downloaded this app and I actually had it before, realised it after installation, it does not have any cooling feature, unfortunetly. It only has LMDriver (which does nothing), Color intelligence (which does nothing) and Lumi Flex (which does nothing), it also have some executable called DisableSetAPM and I don't know what that does, so I will look for the way to contact acer tech support over the chat.

• ven98

I guess your device doesn't support the CoolBoost feature. I looked at previous threads in this section and saw a thread from someone, stating that he doesn't have CoolBoost too on his aspire vx15, so it is likely that this laptop doesn't support it. You can still ask Acer to confirm whether your device should have it or not.

-Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• Wildkatze

Cool fact, you might actually be right, I have installed multiple FanSpeed like applications and neither of them succeeded in identifying the fans from the MB, so I guess that it is not customizable on this type of laptop, which sucks, because this toy costed me $1000, I have sent to acer an email regarding this, depending on the answer that I will receive upon the request to speed up the fans, I will also leave the answer here for the comunity.

• Regular_newUser
    Regular_newUser Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

I have tried undervolting at 120mv and I get 10c difference in temps. BTW, 82c is quite common in gaming laptops.

• Adrian_RO
    Adrian_RO Member Posts: 10 New User
    Hi. How did you manage to undervolt it ?
  • ven98
    You can undervolt by using Throttlestop or XTU. There are hundreds of videos on YT how to undervolt. Start by reducing the voltage offset by -100mV and keep adding -5mV until your system crashes. When it crushes just reboot and set the voltage to the last one on which the system was stable. Run a game or something that puts a load on the CPU while you undervolt.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Adrian_RO
    Adrian_RO Member Posts: 10 New User

Cool Bost does not work...

Does anyone managed to acces the ADVANCED BIOS Setting ?

On older laptops you can bring them up with Fn + Tab ... 

• Martinroldam
    Martinroldam Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
    I've been experimenting a lot with the embedded controller, and figured out that, registers 176,179 and 180 have some correlation with the changing of the fan speed. I'm going to make some more tests in linux to see if it is possible at all to create a fancontrol profile for nbfc. Any help would be usefull...
  • dajkalaszlo
    dajkalaszlo Member Posts: 26 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Hi Martinroldam
    I started to use rw read and write utility now. I could speed up my fans manually according to this description on my vn7-593g. But I have no info how fast is the safe for the fans. Sorry to bother this thread with this. But I couldn't send a private message. Check out the link
    https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/3489863

• Martinroldam
    After 3 days of exploring the embedded controller, i've managed to change the fan speed. It has been one day since the mod and no issues appeared, even thought, i would not encourage anyone to do so, DO AT YOUR OWN RISK. 
    My model is: Acer Aspire VX 15 VX5-591G-54PG, but it should work in any VX15/VX5. 
    1: Download and install RWEverything (it is free).
    2: Open the App, and go to EC (embedded controller) - located at top middle.

All this hex numbers constitute the EC, whenever you click on one of them, their decimal value will be displayed in red on the top left of the table.

3: Locate the position "189", which its value will be "52", change this value to "4E" and, after 1 minute, both fans will be spinning at full speed (jet engine like).

The "52" value (standard) let the fans at AUTO, while "4E" spool them to FULL. 

I'm not sure about why/how this works or even if it causes any damage (which i find unlikely).
    I will do a proper Notebook FanControl (NBFC) profile in the furute, maybe including some other fixes, I will also keep this thread up to date in any issues it may happen in my system.

• IFlarious
    IFlarious Member Posts: 2 New User
    After 3 days of exploring the embedded controller, i've managed to change the fan speed. It has been one day since the mod and no issues appeared, even thought, i would not encourage anyone to do so, DO AT YOUR OWN RISK. 
    My model is: Acer Aspire VX 15 VX5-591G-54PG, but it should work in any VX15/VX5. 

All this hex numbers constitute the EC, whenever you click on one of them, their decimal value will be displayed in red on the top left of the table.

3: Locate the position "189", which its value will be "52", change this value to "4E" and, after 1 minute, both fans will be spinning at full speed (jet engine like).

I'm not sure about why/how this works or even if it causes any damage (which i find unlikely).
    I will do a proper Notebook FanControl (NBFC) profile in the furute, maybe including some other fixes, I will also keep this thread up to date in any issues it may happen in my system.

OMG THANKS ! THIS WORKS ! I GET 65-70°C IN GTA 5 HIGHEST SETTING WITH LIQUID METAL PASTE !
  • Volentis
    Volentis Member Posts: 4 New User

thanks , it worked for me too. btw have u been facing any issues after doing this for a while? even tho i don't think it would do anything to the laptop other than using more power.
  • Martinroldam
    Ok guys. It has been 4 months and no issues so far, countless hours of gaming/hashing and so far so good for both inside and outside, althought the inside got reasonably dust, I really recommend for u guys to check out the inside of your's every 3 months or so, if you are a heavy user as am I. 
    Regarding the NBFC profile, I did manage to make one, which for my climate (usually above 25ºC - high 80s F), works fine and could be easily moded by anyone, but I couldn't add it to the official NBFC page, got lots os issues while doing so an gave up on it for a while. I will attempt it again during my vacation and will keep u guys up to date. 
    Cheers.
  • Davidrojas
    Davidrojas Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Ok guys. It has been 4 months and no issues so far, countless hours of gaming/hashing and so far so good for both inside and outside, althought the inside got reasonably dust, I really recommend for u guys to check out the inside of your's every 3 months or so, if you are a heavy user as am I. 
    Regarding the NBFC profile, I did manage to make one, which for my climate (usually above 25ºC - high 80s F), works fine and could be easily moded by anyone, but I couldn't add it to the official NBFC page, got lots os issues while doing so an gave up on it for a while. I will attempt it again during my vacation and will keep u guys up to date. 
    Cheers.
    Hey! Thats great. I'm having a problem with temperatures only with some specific games in some specific areas where the temps are aroung 80-85. But I have the acer Predator 15. I have downloaded the program but it seems the positions and numbers are different. Any suggestion? 
    Thank you!
  • hubwood
    hubwood Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

GUYS!

Just registered here to inform you that repasting with (arctic) MX4 dropped my tempereatures by 15! (FIFTEEN!) Degrees C°.
    I swear to god. I tried everything else before. Of course also undervolting, which helped as usual, but temperatures were still too high IMHO.
    Now with undervolted -140 mv and the repasted CPU/GPU I'm getting 67 Degrees C° on Prime 95 and a maximum of 58-63 °C in the Witcher 3 for the CPU. (i5 7300 HQ)

I actually used the method were I manually spreaded the paste before reconnecting the heat spreader. Not relying on the heat sink pressure. And I worked slwoly and carefully. I don't know what acer did with the original paste job... 

One thing when repasting: It's actually a bit tricky when reinstalling the heat spreader. Thats why you will have to loosen the fans aswell, because there is a little sheet of paper attached to the heat spreader that has to go UNDER the fans at all costs, or it would almost completely block the air flow!
  • Fethbita
    Fethbita Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

@Martinroldam @dajkalaszlo , can you please share your nbfc settings? You can add files on your posts here, I have VN-593G with i7-7700hq, and couldn't have the profile here work on my laptop. I'm having a lot of issues with thermal problems but I am almost certain that if I could get the fans to work faster, it would not be a problem.
  • Lucaszx
    Lucaszx Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2eoWrpZwcI There's goes a tutorial that i made.
  • Miguels
    Miguels Member Posts: 21

Tinkerer

MI LAPTOP TIENE EL MISMO PROBLEMA