Three predator models have the same problem!! ( Z35, Z301c and XB271HU )

Dizato
Dizato Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited February 14 in 2020 Archives

Hello there

Going to try to keep this as short as possible - There Is an error In all three models that results in: Arifacts, pixelated picture and colour problems (not just only the green I'm going to show you in this post). I actually belive that all the predator models Is affected by this but I can't be certain. These three models I have confirmed myself. 

I have had some problems with my Z301c with incorrect colours, stripes, artifacts, pixelation and so on. The problem have been sporadic and has occured everywhere: in games, videos, pictures, websites, programs and so forth. So after many hours of testing (different cables, different screen configs, let nvidia control colours, gsync on/off, refreshrates, resolutions, drivers, vsync, colour depth and lots more) i decided to reinstall my computer as a last option. The main problem have been that untill today I have never had a "good" test that could really reproduce the problem and at the same time confirm that It Is the screen and not the computer. The problem that this website produces (an asus website actually), Is just one of the problems that I have experienced, but by looking elsewhere on the screen while on this site I also see many of the same symptoms that have been bothering me. So because of this I decided to return the screen to the shop and get It repaird. While standing In the shop I noticed they had the Z35 and XB271HU on display, so decided to test the same website.

The pictures I will show you Is taken from 4 different computers with 3 different gpu's while also displaying the same error on three different Acer Predator screens (Z301c, Z35 and the XB271HU. The screen name and GPU type is included under each picture. The Z301 (my screen) I tested with the GTX 1080TI (displayport) and a NUC Skullcandy machine with an intergrated intel GPU (HDMI). All of theese pictures Is just "copy pasted" from videos I made on my cellphone. So It lacks quality and you don't get to see all the flickering this website makes when scrolling. 

This Is the website that let's me reproduce the problem:  https://rog.asus.com/wallpapers

Z301c - nvidia gtx 1080TI (DP)Z301c - nvidia gtx 1080TI (DP)

Z301c - Intel chipset (HDMI)Z301c - Intel chipset (HDMI)

Z35 - AMD radeon R7 360Z35 - AMD radeon R7 360

XB271HU - Nvida somethingXB271HU - Nvida something

Hope the Acer staff have some info about this and that Acer admits for the public that there Is something wrong here. Hopefully this can be fixed with a firmware of some sort.  The website lets me reproduce the problem, but I have experienced the lack of "image quality" In many other situations. I paid almost 900$ for the Z301c (new) and at this point my 75$ VN247h wins Smiley LOL  One last thing - While testing the website on the predator screens that was avaible, I also tested It on some AOC, Asus and LG screens that also were on display in the shop. Non of the other screens had any problems with showing the website =( 

Answers

• MMJuno
    MMJuno Member Posts: 4 New User

This seems to duplicate the main problem from my post on this forum last night. The issue appears to be with the checkerboard pattern used for the background and displays the same issue on my Z35. If I play with the zoom in Chrome, once I go far enough in or out, the problem dissipates. As with my post, the pattern causes all parts of the screen outside of the window to the left and right to take on this pattern as well.

• Dizato

Tinkerer

Hello

Yes, the same thing I have noticed! I can "cure" the screen for many of It's problems by forcing Nvidia to control the colours in windows (Nvidia control panel). Problem Is that this Is just a temporary fix for that given "situation". Not long after the problem can get "activated" by something else, so then again - go back to control panel, fickle with the controls, and somehow the problem goes away for that new situation.

The same "dots and stripes" as you had in picture "B: application selection box" in your post, Is the same "pixelation" i experience on my Z301c. You might notice that the same type of dots gets into your games also, just harder to notice. But stil they are there and corrupts the image quality In different ways. As for the other two pictures A and C - exactly the same thing that I finally managed to reproduce, since It sometimes happend on my screen to. 

Posted about this In an Norwegian forum, and one guy said he had no problems with the X34. So the differnce here:

• Acer z35 + Acer Z301c uses an VA-panel at 2560x1080 -- Artifacts and grid problem can be reproduced by using website.
    • Acer XB271HU has a TN-panel but an 2560x1440 resolution -- Artifacts and grid problem can be reproduced by using website
    • Acer X34 -  IPS-panel with 3440x1440 resolution -- No artifacts or grid problems on website. 

So either It's a problem with the how the TN / VA -panels handle colours, OR: It's related to how the monitors controls scaling/resolution/refreshrates with an 2560-hortizontal set of pixels. Something tells me that there Is a controller/component of some sort, inside the mointor that's not used by the x34 screen but the rest of the three monitors uses.

• MMJuno
    MMJuno Member Posts: 4 New User

So, in doing some additional testing after you noted the Nvidia color options, if I switch the output to Limited instead of Full range in the Nvidia Control Panel, then the wallpaper site you linked above does not show the problem (or it's just faint enough now that I can't easily notice it).

Of course, this makes everything look extremely washed out. I would expect a PC monitor to support Full range output since Limited is a relic of TV broadcasting...

• Dizato

Tinkerer

Yeah but that's not the solution either. The problem Is that some of the computers I tested had Limitied already set. Fiddeling In the control panel "ONLY" fixes the problem at hand at that presise given moment. Some hours / days / weeks later the same problem you fixed will be back to haunt you. Then you can repeat the process and It goes away again.

Main problem Is that fiddeling In the control panel fixes the "colour / pixel / grid problem" In the given situation, but because of the fiddeling It creates a new problem somewhere else with another scenario. So as an example - Playing at "Night" in Ghost Recon wildlands had lots of problems with green lines / corrupted pixels and so on. You could see the colour gradient was way off when looking around.

So fiddeled in the control panel and the game looked beautiful. Then when I quitted I went to youtube and watched the Thor ragnarok trailer. I noticed that just at the point when the girl picks up the hammer and destroys It, you could see her hair on the right side was pixelated but also the arm on the left was full of green gradient - Link: Thor Youtube. So again, went In and fiddeled, and the problem was gone. 

Some hours later I went back to the computer and played wildlands. Now the crappy gradient problem at Night was back to haunt me because I fiddeled when fixing the youtube problem...  Robot Mad  This drives med crazy... Because I can see that the "panel" Is good enough to do all of the task I put at It. But because of some internal (most likely programming) problem, the signals sent/recived from/to pc/screen, gets bugged and destroys the image on the screen. So we need some sort of firmware to fix this, can't find anything that Is a solid fix just from the windows side of things. 

• Dizato

Tinkerer

New information:

Well, my monitor Is now sent to Taiwan for checkup because the original serviceshop couldent fix It.

I now have confirmation that the new Acer Z35P also have the same problem, but not "as much" as these other monitors.

This makes me belive that the resolution and firmware handling of that resolution Is not the problem. Neither the motherboard or the original displaypanel, because all of that has been changed on my screen now with zero sucess.

If they scavange the z35 and z35p, and do a crosscheck of what parts that has been "reused" or not changed from the old 1.gen Z35 to the new Z35P, I think they might be able to identify what component that Is causing all of these problems. So crossing my fingers now.

• Synergy87
    Synergy87 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I too have this problem.  I also notice if I try and use ULMB instead of G-Sync, the right hand side of the screen has stripes and dots, even green colored sometimes.  If I turn it off and go back to G-Sync, that issue is fine, but I see the artifacts in the wallpapers you have mentioned as well.  While I do plan on only using my monitor for gaming primarily, it would be nice to view websites without artifacting. I haven't tried dropping 200hz down to 144hz to see if the problem is still there, but based on your post, sounds like it probably is.  Any official word from Acer on how they are fixing this, or if I have to send the panel in for fix/replacement.  I've heard horror stories of replacing multiple monitors to get 1 good working, and I want to avoid that.  Anyone know if Asus has these issues on their equivalent panel 21:9 panel?
  • arrtaas
    arrtaas Member Posts: 3 New User
    Just tried the website with my Z35P. The problem is the same - green lines in between the pictures. Did you find any solution or got any explanation?
  • AcquaCow
    AcquaCow Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have the same issue on an XB271HU, no matter the color settings, refresh rate, gsync/etc... Seems to be monitor related vs GPU related. My other monitors look great with a nice dark background, but not on the Pedator.
  • STOPHER
    STOPHER Member Posts: 2 New User
    i just received my new z301c and im having the same problems.
    with the od switched of it improves quite a bit but still visible.
    has anyone an update on a fix for this or if acer have come up with something solid?
    ive already seen a few people having the panel replaced and then saying the problem is still there
  • Bartoghost
    Bartoghost Member Posts: 1 New User
    Dizato said:

New information:

Well, my monitor Is now sent to Taiwan for checkup because the original serviceshop couldent fix It.

I now have confirmation that the new Acer Z35P also have the same problem, but not "as much" as these other monitors.

This makes me belive that the resolution and firmware handling of that resolution Is not the problem. Neither the motherboard or the original displaypanel, because all of that has been changed on my screen now with zero sucess.

If they scavange the z35 and z35p, and do a crosscheck of what parts that has been "reused" or not changed from the old 1.gen Z35 to the new Z35P, I think they might be able to identify what component that Is causing all of these problems. So crossing my fingers now.

STOPHER said:
    has anyone an update on a fix for this or if acer have come up with something solid?
    ive already seen a few people having the panel replaced and then saying the problem is still there
    Hello, have you solved the problem in any way?
  • Sev501
    Sev501 Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Any updates on this ? :anguished: it's only with the asus site tho... Gaming and other things are superb.
  • MechDragon
    MechDragon Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
    VG270UP, same problem.
  • MechDragon
    edited February 2019
    Should I return the monitor? Or is this problem only in the browser?
  • Dizato

Tinkerer

Synergy87 said:
    I too have this problem.  I also notice if I try and use ULMB instead of G-Sync, the right hand side of the screen has stripes and dots, even green colored sometimes.  If I turn it off and go back to G-Sync, that issue is fine, but I see the artifacts in the wallpapers you have mentioned as well.  While I do plan on only using my monitor for gaming primarily, it would be nice to view websites without artifacting. I haven't tried dropping 200hz down to 144hz to see if the problem is still there, but based on your post, sounds like it probably is.  Any official word from Acer on how they are fixing this, or if I have to send the panel in for fix/replacement.  I've heard horror stories of replacing multiple monitors to get 1 good working, and I want to avoid that.  Anyone know if Asus has these issues on their equivalent panel 21:9 panel?
    arrtaas said:
    Just tried the website with my Z35P. The problem is the same - green lines in between the pictures. Did you find any solution or got any explanation?
    AcquaCow said:
    I have the same issue on an XB271HU, no matter the color settings, refresh rate, gsync/etc... Seems to be monitor related vs GPU related. My other monitors look great with a nice dark background, but not on the Pedator.
    STOPHER said:
    Dizato said:

New information:

STOPHER said:
    Sev501 said:
    Any updates on this ? :anguished: it's only with the asus site tho... Gaming and other things are superb.
    VG270UP, same problem.
    Well, i wrote a big answer but the page screwed me over when i saved it.... so i will just tell the story short (again) -- The problem is with the G-sync module and how texture / color handling works, even with G-sync off the problems persists. If you see problems on the website then you also have the problems in other user scenarios, but based on what monitor you use you will be more or less affected. They could not fix it because it's the g-sync module itself that is the problem (from what i understood ) so i got my money back and got myself a Samsung  C49hg90 and no problems after that.

Yeah, and while I'm at it - Screw you Acer for not answering the people here on the forum! This is a big spread problem and by judging from this tread, they don't give a ***** about the customers. 

Back to topic: remember just one thing - the problem is not only the green grid/stripes/dots, but also degradation of pixel quality overall. In dark areas when textures are drawn up in motion, or you see a color gradient shifting from brown/grey/black you will notice that pixelation occurs in different spots (and ways) on the screen. Pixels that should have been black can become dark brown or even grey in some areas (and other colors sometimes). The overall quality is degraded - but the best way to test is actually to use two different monitors (not dual Acer) and just set "clone screen". Then it will be clear as day.  

Play ghost recon wildlands at night and just look around on the screen. For me i found lots of pixelation in the corners of the screen, and even for myself it took a month before i actually noticed that I had the problem. Alternative -Look at the girl when she picks up the hammer and destroys It, you could see her hair on the right side was pixelated but also the arm on the left was full of green gradient - Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7MGUNV8MxU&feature=youtu.be&t=16  

My advice, sell it / return it / give it to someone you don't like and get something of better quality. Not all of you will be as badly affected as I was, but i just cant understand how Acer has handled this.

Cheers 
  • MechDragon
    edited February 2019
    Dizato said:
    Synergy87 said:
    arrtaas said:
    AcquaCow said:
    STOPHER said:
    Dizato said:

New information:

STOPHER said:
    Sev501 said:
    VG270UP, same problem.
    Well, i wrote a big answer but the page screwed me over when i saved it.... so i will just tell the story short (again) -- The problem is with the G-sync module and how texture / color handling works, even with G-sync off the problems persists. If you see problems on the website then you also have the problems in other user scenarios, but based on what monitor you use you will be more or less affected. They could not fix it because it's the g-sync module itself that is the problem (from what i understood ) so i got my money back and got myself a Samsung  C49hg90 and no problems after that.

Yeah, and while I'm at it - Screw you Acer for not answering the people here on the forum! This is a big spread problem and by judging from this tread, they don't give a ***** about the customers. 

Back to topic: remember just one thing - the problem is not only the green grid/stripes/dots, but also degradation of pixel quality overall. In dark areas when textures are drawn up in motion, or you see a color gradient shifting from brown/grey/black you will notice that pixelation occurs in different spots (and ways) on the screen. Pixels that should have been black can become dark brown or even grey in some areas (and other colors sometimes). The overall quality is degraded - but the best way to test is actually to use two different monitors (not dual Acer) and just set "clone screen". Then it will be clear as day.  

Play ghost recon wildlands at night and just look around on the screen. For me i found lots of pixelation in the corners of the screen, and even for myself it took a month before i actually noticed that I had the problem. Alternative -Look at the girl when she picks up the hammer and destroys It, you could see her hair on the right side was pixelated but also the arm on the left was full of green gradient - Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7MGUNV8MxU&feature=youtu.be&t=16  

My advice, sell it / return it / give it to someone you don't like and get something of better quality. Not all of you will be as badly affected as I was, but i just cant understand how Acer has handled this.

Cheers 
    VG270UP is freesync monitor. 
    I do not think this problem is terrible. I see no problems anywhere other than this site. Maybe just a ***** background. And in fact it is not only on Acer. On the other monitor from Acer (Xb271hua) I see the bands between the pictures, but I do not see anything green above. On Samsung tv, I don’t see the green bars between the pictures, but I see the green at the top, if I look closely. On vg270up I see greens between the pictures and above, but quite a bit. On iphone 5s, if I increase the brightness, there is also a green at the top.

About pixelation. 
    Most likely you have a TN monitor with gsync. These monitors have this problem, on my xb271hua just as well. Bad gamma and color banding. But this is due to the poor panel, which is also in other monitors (s2716dg from Dell, and a similar monitor from asus). This is a completely different problem. On ips monitors there is no such *****.
  • MechDragon
    Dizato said:
     Alternative -Look at the girl when she picks up the hammer and destroys It, you could see her hair on the right side was pixelated but also the arm on the left was full of green gradient - Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7MGUNV8MxU&feature=youtu.be&t=16  

I do not see it.
  • Saturn
    Saturn Member Posts: 2 New User
    I'm SO glad I found this thread! I have a Z35 and I went on that website and I had the same problem. I also have an HP 24ea monitor and everything looks just fine on that. Also, some reds are a little rose colored on the my Z35. I do gaming and media creation on the Z35 and some glow effects don't look right on it compared to my HP 24ea. I messed with the NV Control Panel color settings and it kind of fixed it for certain scenarios, but it would just make everything else look worse (as mentioned in this thread). I noticed that people sent it back for repair or just got a new monitor. I already sent mine back for repair due to other problems in the past; such as HDMI issues, picture displacement, and possible cause of external speaker noise. When I got it back, I couldn't set my refresh rate to 200hz anymore, only 180hz. Its not that big of a deal, but still.
  • Cube
    Cube Member Posts: 1 New User
    I got the same problem. Mostly the blocky "pixelated" color changes bother me. I bought this monitor (XB271HU) for gaming with the best views (have a NVIDIA GTX1080), and the views are worse then on cheap monitors. So disappointed in this product, I wouldn't recommend any Acer monitors to anyone.

I'll start saving for new monitor, get informed well first and use the XB271HU for less demanding tasks I suppose. What a waste of money...

• BwLambo
    BwLambo Member Posts: 3 New User
    Hello every everyone i just ordered this on amazon 

Acer 30" Widescreen LCD Monitor Display UW-UXGA 2560 x 1080 4 ms VA Tech|Z301C(Renewed) did acer ever implement a fix?????