Acer Aspire V 13 stuck in infinite automatic repair loop

JvdB100
JvdB100 Member Posts: 13 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
Hi everyone,
My Acer Aspire V 13 is stuck in an infinite automatic repair loop. I've taken a look in the SrtTrail.txt file and it seems that there are 2 errors every time the automatic repair finishes: 0x3701 and 0x2. I've researched almost the whole internet but I've not found a solution that works for me. Any help would be appreciated!

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,328 Trailblazer

What is the full model name? V3-xxx? V5xxx? What Windows version? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JvdB100
    Hi Jack,
    The full model name is V3-371-398X. I'm running Windows 10 on it.
    JvdB100
  • JackE

If, among other things, you've already tried a full power down cold boot---press & hold power button till machine shuts off- then press power button once---then you should probably try an ALT+F10 re-set to factory default while saving your data. This assumes the hidden erecovery partition is still intact. Was this a factory-installed Win8.1 system? Jack E/NJ

PS: If this happened after a recent Win10 update you could also search control panel for a "restore point" that was created by that update process and restore the system back to the way it was just before that update.

PPS: Sorry, the above assumes you can still access safe mode, if not then the ALT+F10 boot recovery seems to be your best option at this point.

Jack E/NJ

• JvdB100
    Hi Jack,
    I think it came with windows 10. It won't allow me to do any kind of reset.
  • JackE

If you haven't done so already, please try the ALT+F10 recovery method again precisely as shown in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuljT0a8F7I

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JvdB100
    Hi Jack,
    My Computer won't allow me to do any kind of recovery.
    JvdB100
  • JackE

Are you able to access the BIOS menu by tapping F2 on a cold boot? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JvdB100
    I can't access anything but the bios/advanced settings
  • JackE

OK. In the BIOS menu there should be a BOOT dropdown menuitem. Disable the secure boot option. Then F10 to exit & save settings. Report back with results. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• JvdB100
    The secure boot is disabled
  • JackE

OK. Good. Do another coldboot F2 back into the BIOS menu. Go to the MAIN dropdown menuitem and make sure D2D recovery is enabled. F10 to exit and save. If the repair loop is still stuck, press and hold the power button till the machine shuts down. Then try the ALT+F10 eRecovery procedure again as shown in the video. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JvdB100
    Hi Jack,
    I really appreciate your help! Unfortunately I'm still not able to do the recovery.
  • JackE

Do you get any error messages at all? Or does the ALT+F10 process just not do anything except maybe present a black, blank or blue screen?  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JvdB100
    It says "An error occurred while recovering the pc. There is not made any changes." Maybe it's a bit interpreted since I've translated from danish.
  • JackE

You said earlier>>>I think it came with windows 10.>>>

Is it possible that you might've upgraded it from Win8.1 during Microsoft's free Win10 upgrade period a year or so ago? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JvdB100
    I'm pretty sure it came with windows 10 but it can be that the store upgraded it from windows 8.1
  • JackE

Three questions. (1) Is the BIOS BOOT menuitem option set to UEFI mode? (2) What happens when you keep tapping the F8 key at the coldboot logo screen? (3) What do you think caused the automatic repair to start in the first place? Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• JvdB100
    1) its set to UEFI mode. 2) absolutely nothing (which will say that the computer starts the automatic repair). 3) I actually don't know. I was cleaning up in my programs (in "Programs and Functions"). Then I booted into my USB with Ubuntu installed on it and tried to install Ubuntu. Then I went sleeping and the next day my computer was turned off. When I tried to turn it on it started with the automatic repair loop.
  • JackE

>>>Then I booted into my USB with Ubuntu installed on it and tried to install Ubuntu.>>>

OK, this may have created a system partition issue. Now I have 2 more questions. (1) What do you mean by "tried to install Ubuntu"? That is, how far along did you get with the installation? (2) What happens when you coldboot and keep tapping the F12 key?  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JvdB100

Hi Jack,

Sorry that I reply so late. 1) I completed the installation but then I was asked to restart the computer which apparently was a part of the installation. I did and went sleeping. The next morning I found my pc turned off and I tried to start it up. Then I got this problem. 2) The Windows Boot Menu opens