My new Aspire Switch 10 would not detect my home wifi, while it works fine with other networks.

svica
svica Member Posts: 5 New User
edited March 2023 in 2015 Archives

My home wifi works well with other devices, its firmware looks OK, and the driver of the network adapter of the tablet is the latest as well. Any thoughts?

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer

Will it see and connect to other networks? Will it see the network if you are positioned really, really close to the router? You might give inSSIDer (find the older version that you can use for free to test with) a try to see if it'll be able to view networks.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • svica

It works fine with other wireless networks, detects them and connects to them, but it wouldn't see my home wireless no matter how close it is to the router.

• billsey

That's pretty weird. I believe Windows will hide some networks from you, but I thought it was only ad-hoc networks. It's possible that there is some way to have a corrupted configuration that would hide the network. You might try deleting it with netsh command. Open an Administrator command prompt and type:

netsh wlan show profiles
    netsh wlan delete profile name="ProfileName"

If that doesn't you might try cutting it completely out of the registry at:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\Profiles

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • svica

Thanks. Unfortunately deleting with the netsh command did not work. Also unfortunately, I - being an IT illiterate - don't really know what you mean by cutting it out of the registry. Could you be more specific about what exactly I should be doing? My apologies if this is a stupid question. Thanks.

• billsey

svica wrote:

Thanks. Unfortunately deleting with the netsh command did not work. Also unfortunately, I - being an IT illiterate - don't really know what you mean by cutting it out of the registry. Could you be more specific about what exactly I should be doing? My apologies if this is a stupid question. Thanks.

There is a program included with Windows caller RegEdit.exe that is used to make manual changes to the registry. It's very dangerous, since it allows you to make changes that will break functionality. If you are careful and know what you are doing though it is a powerful tool for system repair. Before we get into that though, let's try and figure out why your weren't able to delete the profile with netsh (which is much safer to use).

Bring up an Administrators command prompt (search for 'cmd', right click on Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator) and enter the first command. Copy and paste the results here. Try the second command as well, then copy and paste the results into the same message as the first command. We'll see if we can diagnose from those results.

• svica

Thanks. If I type in the first command, it shows that there are no group policy profiles, and it shows one All User Profile, which is my phone's personal hotspot that I am using right now.

• billsey

OK, so the problem isn't caused by a corrupted profile... When you click on the network icon does it show your SSID at all? Does it 'see' the SSIDs broadcast by our neighbors? Is there a chance your router would be setup to not broadcast the SSID (it would then be a hidden network)?

• svica

It sees a lot of SSIDs but it does not see mine. At the same time my router's SSID is visible to numerous other devices, it is not set to be a hidden network.

• hgmartin9
    hgmartin9 Member Posts: 132 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

You can use this freeware program and see if your network is visible:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/mg/get/wifiinfoview,1.html

• ayam123
    ayam123 Member Posts: 1 New User

I have the same problem with my Acer Aspire E5 laptop. Did you find any solution to your problem? If so, please share!