Windows 10 Reset this PC Keeps Failing

CMTietgen
CMTietgen Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

We just bought 2 new Acer Aspire T desktops at work and like all new PCs we get, I like to perform a Reset this PC in Windows 10 to remove all the junk that comes preinstalled.

I've done this countless times before, but but this Acer computer keeps failing with the following message:

Something went wrong

We can't sign you in at the moment. Try agian, or select Skip to sign in later.

The failure happens during the wizard that walks you through the reset. Sometime after if asks you if you want to connect to open hotspots.

Choosing either Try again ot Skip both seem to bypass the full reset and when I finally get back into Windows it still has all the junk installed.

Is this because the computer comes with an OEM version of Windows 10 and Acer is preventing a full reset?

Best Answer

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

try this tool from Microsoft if its the anniversary update

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10startfresh

in the worst case, wipe the original SSD/HDD and do a clean install of windows 10.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • CMTietgen

I'll give the tool a try on the 2nd PC I have to configure, if it has the same issue.

If I wipe the SSD and perform a clean install can I use the OEM key? Or is the key embedded in the BIOS?

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

BIOS embedded but you don't need to input it under windows 10 installation, just skip the step and it will authenticate once connected to the web.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • CMTietgen

Thanks. I'll try your above suggestion on the 2nd PC and if it works I'll come back and mark as accepted.

• CMTietgen

Your suggestion worked perfectly, thanks. Smiley Very Happy