Acer Predator G9-793 (overclocking)

skyrus
skyrus Member Posts: 19

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives

Predator sense seems not working when pressing "faster" or "turbo" mode. It always stays at 3100mhz, nothing changes..

Why is that?

2017-05-24.png2017-05-24 (2).png

Best Answer

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓

Turbo boost doesn't mean overclocking. It is called intel turbo boost and it is automatic. Please send screenshot of the Predator Sense version you are using now.

Edit: 6gen mobile CPUs can't be overclocked except 6820HK. Also 3.5Ghz is for single core. For 4 cores it is about 3.2GHz

Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• ven98

G9 models can't be overclocked. Try downloading the proper version of Predator Sense from Acer's website.

-Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• skyrus

Tinkerer

This version for my laptop model, downloaded officially from acer website. Even when you buy this laptop it says 

"Acer Predator 17 G9-793 Intel Core i7-6700HQ 2.60GHz (Turbo Boost: 3.50GHz)"

and this program should do that since you cant do it manually cause bios locked!

• ven98
    Answer ✓

Turbo boost doesn't mean overclocking. It is called intel turbo boost and it is automatic. Please send screenshot of the Predator Sense version you are using now.

Edit: 6gen mobile CPUs can't be overclocked except 6820HK. Also 3.5Ghz is for single core. For 4 cores it is about 3.2GHz

-Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• skyrus

Tinkerer

2017-05-24 (4).pngI wrote I downloaded officially from website for my current model. What are u saying that turbo boost doesnt mean overclocking.. what it means then? so when it changes core voltage and core hz speed it doesnt mean overclocking? lol what then it does mean for you?

• ven98

Yes this is Acer's fault. If you go to the webpage of GX-792 you will see that the version is the same as the one on your page, that is the reason why you have the 3 modes. There was a post long time ago about this issue, where Acer haven't put the drivers on the right laptops.

-Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• skyrus

Tinkerer

"Edit: 6gen mobile CPUs can't be overclocked except 6820HK. Also 3.5Ghz is for single core. For 4 cores it is about 3.2GHz"

ok this is understandble now, thanks! 

May I buy new processor 7700k to replace 6700hq? And then will I be able use those functions to turbo boost "overclock"?

• ven98

CPU and GPU are soldered to the mother board and therefore can't be replaced. Even if you purchase another g9 model with 7700hq, it won't be able to be overclocked as the Predator Sense is set to over clock the GX models only.

-Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• skyrus

Tinkerer

"CPU and GPU are soldered to the mother board and therefore can't be replaced." Are you 100% sure of that?

If so I did so wrong purchase...(( I wish I knew about it before..

• ven98

CPU is not that important for gaming, the GPU plays a big role.

-Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• skyrus

Tinkerer

I have gtx 1070 and this cpu cant make it work with full power and because of that I am getting 50 fps playing Rust on low settings...

Are u sure that cpu is soldered to the motheboard? 

• ven98

Yes, I just read a review about this model and they also say that GPU can't be utilized fully.

Edit: How long have you used the laptop for?

-Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• skyrus

Tinkerer

I am so dissapointed right now.. thank you for your help!

[inappropriate content removed]

• skyrus

Tinkerer

2 months already

• ven98

Sorry to hear that but Acer has really done it badly there. I would they **bleep** up the customers so badly by putting a CPU, which is not fast enough for the GPU.

Too bad, you could have returned it back, if you knew about the issue.

[inappropriate content removed]

-Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• skyrus

Tinkerer

2017-05-24 (9).png

do you know anything about those settings? may I improve my cpu a bit somehow here?

• skyrus

Tinkerer

"Too bad, you could have returned it back, if you knew about the issue."

Yeah.. if I was knew about it I would choose another model.

• ven98

You can change things in the 'core' section, but I can't really show you any screenshots, as Acer is repairing my predator now.

-Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• skyrus

Tinkerer

oh I am sorry to hear that. If you can just tell numbers which to increase I would be much appreciate!

• skyrus

Tinkerer

I have no problem with tempreature even if I play on max settings some games it always cold. May be can increase some voltage offset?

• ven98

I suggest you to check out YouTube, but I don't think overclocking will be possible. You can wai for someone else to answer the thread, as I don't have any experience with XTU.

-Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system