WILLxLOVE
WILLxLOVE Member Posts: 6 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

My machine is  15 inch Aspire E5-575G-75MD

CPU - Intel Kaby i7 Dual core 2.70

GFX - GTX 940m 2GB

Bios - Insyde H20 1.18

Goal -

To dual boot into a Linux Distro (TBD) along with Win 10 (currently installed)

Details -

The newest BIOS version for Aspire E 575G on my device's update page here on Acer is BIOS 1.25, which is the BIOS version that everyone is having issues booting into Linux with from the searches I've done in this community. My current installed BIOS is 1.18. I have not installed any version of Linux yet. All experience has been from booting different Linux distros live from USB.

For it to boot from USB as of now I have to switch to Legacy in BIOS. I ran Tails and Mint from USB. They worked.... kinda. They do boot and it does work, but poorly and unusable in any practical sense both having the same performance issues.

Symptoms -

The trackpads response is painfully slow along with performance degradation causing severe delay in using the OS as a whole. It takes 5 minutes to get the arrow to go where I want (only a slight exaggeration) as well as multiple pad clicks to register selecting any given option or menu. Seems to be lack of performance and/or issues with the trackpad but it seems to  be both.

I have read that Linux on Acer has issues (both using the trackpad and in general) when booting using Legacy boot mode and  with several BIOS versions, especially 1.25. I have also read that once users get to BIOS 1.31 or above that it fixes several issues, but couldn't find that this fix would work for my specific machine and even if I did, it's not on my devices driver page.

I've updated the entire machine and checked device manager for additional updates to drivers on the web as well as using the acer bloatware.

Does anyone have an idea what could be going on here?

Thanks.

Answers

• WILLxLOVE

Hello All,

No ideas yet from anyone including the admins who asked me to post here. Bad luck.

I contacted Acer Support and no one there could give me any information on the issue, so they created a ticket (case ID *********) stating that Id hear from their next tier of support over the next 2-3 days. Over 8 days later and not one word, which needless to say is unfortunate. 

This is my very first Acer product as well as my introduction to Acer support. I'm contacting Amazon to see what is involved in returning this Aspire while Im still in the 30 day period. I know 700.00$ isnt a lot of money to some, but it is to me and I've received stellar support after spending less than 10% of this amount with other tech vendors. Heck even the less than great interactions I've had with previous support at least gave me a reply when they said they would.

Anyway apologies for the rant, I was just really happy when I got this for my birthday and this experience cheapens it substantially.

If anone has any ideas I'd be extremely grateful. Otherwise this is getting returned with a nice detailed review on Amazon to warn Linux users and potential buyers about my support experience.

[edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, email addresses, phone numbers, full serial numbers, etc.]

• Trukntigger
    Trukntigger Member Posts: 256 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

Your going about backwards. In the uefi bios you need to leave safe mode on, install the Linux then add the entries to the allowed boot table requiring you to create master password in bios to access the sub feature. Once done system default is windows and pressing f12 gives menu to select Linux. No legacy mode, no rollback on touchpad features, running mint flawlessly on mine.

So too detail this a bit more (mint as my example) used the default install via USB stick.  System normal safe boot uefi all features normal. Create password in security tab, set supervisor password and user password then save and reboot too USB install. Used default install of Mint distro then reboot and back to uefi bios. Go to security , secure boot, select an uefi file as trusted, (this is the part that makes it work) browse to the new Linux boot files and add to the table. You do this by going to hdd1, efi, unbuntu, then pick your *****.efi files, add all that are required (fwupx64/grubx64/etc) save and reboot. Now pressing f12 at boot up (Acer logo) brings menu to select OS you want and unless you change the order windows is default if f12 not pressed. Hope this helps. I found this out reading up on mint distro install.

• WILLxLOVE
    Sincerely thanks for the reply. I had tried it several different ways after reading quite a few posts in this community as well as others but kept getting stuck and admittedly gave up after I had read that the bios it currently had as well as the only one I could upgrade to were versions people were having issues with. As soon as I get back home I will try this step by step. Again I really appreciate it.
  • Trukntigger
    Trukntigger Member Posts: 256 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

You are welcome. It real was easy once I figured out the uefi bios bit. The key is to add the Linux boot files to the allowed table in that security menu which to use has to have passwords set. Once this is done was just point click browse to those files and add them too allowed table. After this no password needed, just f12 and select the Linux boot. As a side, f2 gets you into bios settings at Acer logo directly. I used the default install, no custom partitions or anything, no resize, just defaults and really surprised at least on mint everything works perfect, wifi and all with the Win10 happily still ready to go.