C740 factory reset image

jgordon510
jgordon510 Member Posts: 6 New User
edited March 2018 in Chromebooks

I administer a fleet of several hundred Acer C720's and C740's.  We maintain a couple of flash drives for reflashing.  Recently the C740 drive got lost, so I made a new one using the recovery tool.  The model I am using is Acer Chromebook 11 (C740) and the version is 9000.91.0.  When I reflash using this drive (Patriot Brand - 16g), the drive is recognized, but the OS isn't recognized, on multiple C740's (I have many that need reflash at this point).  I assumed it was a problem with the drive, but I bought a new flash drive (Sandisk Brand - 8g) and see the same result.

Has anyone created a recovery image for a C740 and had it work?  I'm beginning to suspect that the repository image has been replaced with a non-working version.

Answers

• jgordon510

I purchased yet another model of flash drive, and put the update image for C740 on it.  Once again, it does not recognize the image.  That means I've tested 3 models of flash drive and have been unable to find one that will re-flash 

• Blayn-Acer
    Blayn-Acer Administrator Posts: 2,355 Community Administrator

Very sorry you are having problems. We will help get you a solution. I am trying this on my C740 here today to see if I have similar results. Can you tell me what build and channel you are running on your C740s?

• Blayn-Acer

I attempted on my C740 and was able to make two successful recovery drives that worked on my C740. Are you putting the systems in recovery mode to load the software? See the instructions below. Please let me know and if it isn't working, we will help you get the issue resolved.

Press Escape+Refresh+Power key to boot the system. Once this is done insert the flash drive.

• miller42
    miller42 Member Posts: 3 New User

I have been having the same issue with Acer C740 factory reset image.  I have also tried three different USB drives. Yesterday, I contacted Google Support.  I was even sent a local image file.  They were also unable to find a solution.  We have a fleet of 1000+ Acer C740 machines and are down to 1 flash drive that works correctly.  Our department has not been successfull at creating a second recovery USB since January 2017. I am able to create other recovery images for other Acer and NonAcer chromebooks with no issues. What is the next step? We have premier support with Acer.  Can Acer send us a working recovery image?

• Blayn-Acer

Very sorry you are having problems. Are you creating the recovery drive on a Chromebook, or are you using a Windows computer to make the drive? Also, does the drive creation complete, or do you get an error? I have sent you a private message requesting more information so we can have our ASP reach out to you to help.

• jgordon510

Thanks @miller42 for a sanity check.  I have a stack of un-flashable c740's that's been growing for weeks over this issue.  Eventually, I'm going to have to buy Chromebooks to replace them.

I also have Acer support.  I also would love a working recovery image.

There's going to be more of us when everyone collects them at the end of the school year and attempts to reflash them during inventory...

• jgordon510

Acer-Blayn wrote:

I attempted on my C740 and was able to make two successful recovery drives that worked on my C740. Are you putting the systems in recovery mode to load the software? See the instructions below. Please let me know and if it isn't working, we will help you get the issue resolved.

Press Escape+Refresh+Power key to boot the system. Once this is done insert the flash drive.

I'm using a Pixel (chromebook) to make the recovery drive.  I am putting the C740 into recovery mode.  I frequently do this on two other models of Acer chromebooks without a hitch.

Thanks.

• Blayn-Acer

Thanks. We will get you a working recovery image if you can't make one. We want to make sure you have what you need to maintain your systems. I was informed there was an issue with the Chromebook image on Google's site that prevented completion of the recovery drive. I was also told it was resolved yesterday, but have not been able to validate this. 

jgordon510,

If you need us to send you a recovery drive, please send me a direct message with your name, school district and telephone number.

• Blayn-Acer

I was able to confirm that creating the recovery drive on a Windows PC should work. Google is working on the issue and should have a resolution very soon.

• jgordon510

Shout out to Carlos at Acer for helping figure this out!

• miller42
    miller42 Member Posts: 3 New User

I have still not been able to create the recovery image. Has anyone been successfull in creating the recovery image recently?  Has anyone received any USB recovery images from Acer?

• Blayn-Acer

There was a problem with the Google recovery image that was giving the C740 some problems creating the recovery drives. I just tried to create one on my C740 and it completed successfully. I recommend you power wash the chromebook, then try to create the recovery image again. If you are still having problems, please send me a private message, and we can assist in getting a working recovery drive.

• talker90
    talker90 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hello, I am having trouble downloading a disc image for my C740 as well from Google's Chromebook Recovery Utility. I also didn't see a way to PM you in your profile here? Could I be sent a disc image as well?
  • DrLoggibooJenkins
    DrLoggibooJenkins Member Posts: 1 New User
    I'm also unable to create a usable recovery media from a Windows machine. I've tried three different drives on two different computers. The only drive I was able to have the C740 recognize when I created them on my laptop was a 1TB drive and it still consistently gets the "An unexpected error has occurred" message during the recovery process. The Chrome Recovery tool isn't indicating any issue when it's creating the drives.
  • mlivneh
    mlivneh Member Posts: 1 New User
    Please Help

struggling with the same issue.
    was anybody successful?
  • ljkremer
    ljkremer Member Posts: 1 New User
    is there seriously no fix for this?
  • jfoxbox
    jfoxbox Member Posts: 1 New User
    I am still trying this. Sandisk could not create it the usb flash drive. But I finally found a no name 8 gb drive. I created it, then inserted it as instructed. It actually verified the image and tried installing it and crashed. "An error has occured". I do wish they could fix this. March 15
  • Chris2107
    Chris2107 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Hi all, is there still a known issue with the C740 image ? I tried 3 different USB brands. After it verify during recovery, it error out 'An unexpected error has occurred'. I also tried recovery in Dev Mode, still no good. Is there a good image someone can send me ? Model - PAINE.  
  • Chris2107
    All images failed. Created in WIN7, 8, 10 and also created it in safe mode 
  • Chris2107
    when I hit the TAB, recovery_reason 0x5b No bootable kernel found on disk