Acer Aspire M7711 DIMM Upgrade

Numone
Numone Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hi all,

I have a very old Acer M7711 which we've had since 2009. Its been a great, reliable workhorse and its now been crawling along a bit, so I thought I'd bump-up the RAM. It came with 4GB as standard and I'm having a bit of a nightmare upgrading to 8GB. I've managed to get it to accept the two new 2GB sticks (Samsung) and finally got it to accept the RAM without the long "memory error" bleep but when I've tried to boot-up with 8GB installed, it just hangs at the Acer splash screen and refuses to boot. If I remove the last 2GB stick, it then boots fine and it is reporting 6GB. I wonder if I have I got the install sequence incorrect (I was told to reboot each time I installed the DIMM's) or do I need to do something else, or have I forgotton something really stupid; wouldn't be surprised if it were the latter! I'm running 64b Win 10 Anniversary Edition which is fully up-to-date. 

Any help/advice gratefully recieved...

Cheers... Rob

Answers

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,046 Trailblazer

Hello

I suggest you this memory module: Transcend TS256MSQ64V8U (2GB DDR2 800MHz)

France
  • Numone

Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me how changing the DIMM manufacturer would help? Do you think there is a conflict of some sort?

• laurent_14

Hello,

Do you think there is a conflict of some sort? May be.

Could you give the part number of the Samsung memory modules?

France
  • Numone

M378T5663QZ3

• laurent_14

Hello,

M378T5663QZ3-CF7?

France
  • Numone

Correct....

• laurent_14

Hello,

1. Have you tried with the Samsung memory modules (2x2Gb) only, in place of the original ones?
    2. Did you replace the Cmos battery? 2009... 6 years old.
    3. I also suggest you to clean the free slots with pressurized air (air duster bomb/spray).
    France