Bios Update Aspire XC-115

Eddie_H
Eddie_H Member Posts: 6 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hi

I am trying to update my XC-115 bios as i wish to upgrade to a ssd as it dose not reconise the Kingston SSD.

I have downloaded the latest Bios from acer, it reads the oridginal OK but displays an Error message so quickly

i can not read it and fails.

I have tried to update from windows 10 and windows 8.1 both with the same result.

I wonder if anybody has had the same problem.?

Thanks. Eddie

Best Answer

• Eddie_H
    Answer ✓

Thanks for all your help/info Trailblazer ,it looks like i need to find some more info on re-flashing the Bios using the Rom provided from Acer so as i can install this SSD.... "onwards & Upwards"Smiley Happy

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

what's the actual BIOS version and the one you are trying to flash?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Eddie_H

Thanks for your reply

I have tried to update 2 of the latest versions which are:

BIOS_Acer_P11.A1_A_A

BIOS_Acer_P11.A3_A_A

I am wondering if there is option in the Bios that i need to change to allow the rewriting of it as i have seen somthing about disabling “Secure Boot”. (not shure what it dose)

Also I am using the winflash utility but noticed that there is a EFI option of which i know nothing about.

Both used Windows OS were 64 bit.

• IronFly

have you ran flash.bat file?

no need to disable secure boot, at least is not mentioned on instructions.

if you have any third party antivirus, please disable it before flashing BIOS.

• Eddie_H

Yes i have run the flash.bat file and there is no antivirus installed (a fresh OS used) and i disabled windows defender.

I have managed to read the error message by videoing the process and pausing it at the correct moment it reads:

"Rom File RomID is not compatible with existing Bios RomID"

which seems strange as the bios rom is the correct one downloaded from Acer website.

• IronFly

can you please report your installed BIOS version?

• Eddie_H

Yes the installed Bios version is P11-A1L Dated 16/05/2014 rather old it seems.

• IronFly

the error message is correct, you have the latest available for L version:

How can i understand which version i need to download?

Laptop versions:
    1.xx can only be updated using 1.xx versions
    2.xx can only be updated using 2.xx versions (normally 2.xx version are labeled "not for upgrades")

Desktop versions:
    P01.xx can only be updated using P01.xx versions
    P11.xx can only be updated using P11.xx versions (normally P11.xx version are labeled "*not for upgrades")

"L" BIOS versions are Linux OS dedicated (example P01.xxL)

* what does it mean "not for upgrades"?
    During the windows 7 to 8 transition, some PC models had different BIOS versions from factory, related to the installed OS.
    Windows 8 PC got an UEFI BIOS
    Windows 7 PC got a "Legacy" BIOS

So PC with Windows 7 installed from factory can't use the "not for upgrades" BIOS version, even if they were upgraded to Windows 8 or 10, since the factory BIOS was a different version compared to PC with Windows 8 from factory.

• Eddie_H

Thanks for the quick reply.

So there is no Bios updates for this machine ? or is there some program that will force an update using the avalible Acer Downloads or is the  hardware not compatable.?

• IronFly

yes, no new version for L BIOS

i don't know if there's any trick to do it and even if there's one, it can't be discussed here. Smiley Happy

• Eddie_H
    Answer ✓

Thanks for all your help/info Trailblazer ,it looks like i need to find some more info on re-flashing the Bios using the Rom provided from Acer so as i can install this SSD.... "onwards & Upwards"Smiley Happy