My email account has been removed

abdekker
abdekker Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I've recently tried to change my email address my [CURRENT-EMAIL-START]@fsmail.net to [CURRENT-EMAIL-START]@gmail.com because Orange are shutting down fsmail.net in the next few weeks.

But this has turned into a nightmare. Somewhere, I tried to change the email and failed. Now I cannot even log in (with the old email address), the system just says something like "email address not recognised".

I received some private messages from the email "Community.Mailer@Acer.com" from users Acer-Karp and Phil-3 in my old email account (the one I cannot use to log in). The Acer Commiunity (this website) is refusing to show me the messages. I can only see the subject line, not the body of the message in my email account.

I eventually gave up and created a new Acer ID "abdekkerace" (because my old one "abdekker" is now inaccessible). This was so I could post this message. I then tried to view the messages sent to me...and now the website says "I don't have privileges to view the messages". This makes sense but it pretty

Could someone please help?

* I need my email updated from "fsmail.net" to "gmail.com".

* I need the "abdekkerace" username deleted and re-attached to the "abdekker" account

* Here is an example of one of my several posts:

http://community.acer.com/t5/Swift-Spin-S-and-R-Series/S7-392-fails-on-battery/m-p/404392

You might need to send a personal message to fsmail.net or gmail.com. The fsmail.net account is still available but will be closed in May.

This is all pretty painful. I think Acer should build in the ability to switch email accounts. Providers close down accounts...it is a part of life over which your users have little or not control.

Thanks for your help!

Best regards,

Alain Dekker

username = abdekker (can't access any more) or abdekkerace (new, don't want)

Comments

• Kathy-1
    Kathy-1 Member Posts: 167 Die Hard WiFi Icon

Hi abdekkerace,

Have you tried PM'ing Acer-Karp with this new account?  You might try that (click the link in the previous sentence to send Acer-Karp a private message).

For reference, here is the thread originally started under the other account: Change email address on acer account

• abdekker

Yes, have PM-ed Acer-Karp and have had a response. Not too happy with the response, though.

I've got an account I want to keep (abdekker) but cannot log into (it is now orphaned, presumably with no email address attached to it anymore) and an account I don't want (abdekkerace). Apparently it is difficult (or impossible) to attach the old account to the new email. What is frustrating is that I did not delete the old email, or at least not explicitly. I just tried to update to the new email (several times). It was still possible to log in with the old email several hours after trying this on Friday...but when I tried over the weekend the old account had been deleted.

I think it would make more sense to re-open the other thread and close this one, BTW.

If I get some sort of resolution in the next few days I will respond to whichever thread is still open then.

Thanks and best regards,

Alain

• Karp-Acer_Retired
    Karp-Acer_Retired Member Posts: 2,599 Guru

Hi abdekkerace,

We are working on this issue for you.

We can certainly delete the account with the old email so you can create a new one, but since you want to keep your Community ID, we are checking to see what we can do for you.

I will send you a PM as soon as I get this done for you.

Thank you for your understanding.

Acer-karp.

minimizar para MAXIMIZAR.

Descubra a mais recente e inovadora tecnologia que chegará no mercado, next@acer.
  • Acer-Brad
    Acer-Brad Administrator Posts: 348 Community Administrator

Alain please log in with your new gmail account.  It is now associated to the abdekker Community membership account

• abdekker

Have logged in and can see my username is now abdekker. I notice that all my previous posts (under that username) have been moved to a new username called abdekker12 (and presumably these posts are now orphaned?). That's ok. It would have been nice to retain parentship of those posts, if possible, but it is not a major problem.

You may wish to raise with development the issue of changing email address in future. It is rare, but causes major disruption in the users' life. If Acer can simplify changing email address this reduces the inconvenience of the email change.

Thanks for your assistance.

Alain