BIOS Update fail: ROMID is not compatible: P01-A3 --> P01-A4L

MikeLieberman
MikeLieberman Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 1 in 2019 Archives

I checked the proper BIOS for AM-3470G computer. There is a Linux BIOS update for it. It is the same BIOS for the AM-3470G and the AM-3470. I have one of each. In both cases. I am getting the incompatible ROMID. As neither of these boxes can successfull run current versions of Linux without a BIOS fix, I am sorta stuck. Can anyone help?

Small1pngSmall2png

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

How can i understand which version i need to download?

Laptop versions:
    1.xx can only be updated using 1.xx versions
    2.xx can only be updated using 2.xx versions (normally 2.xx version are labeled "not for upgrades")

Desktop versions:
    P01.xx can only be updated using P01.xx versions
    P11.xx can only be updated using P11.xx versions (normally P11.xx version are labeled "*not for upgrades")

"L" BIOS versions are Linux OS dedicated (example P01.xxL)

* what does it mean "not for upgrades"?
    During the windows 7 to 8 transition, some PC models had different BIOS versions from factory, related to the installed OS.
    Windows 8 PC got an UEFI BIOS
    Windows 7 PC got a "Legacy" BIOS

So PC with Windows 7 installed from factory can't use the "not for upgrades" BIOS version, even if they were upgraded to Windows 8 or 10, since the factory BIOS was a different version compared to PC with Windows 8 from factory.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • chipscap
    chipscap Member Posts: 3 New User
    so which of the Linux bios updates can I use. I cannot run the latest windows 10  it is not supported and will never be supported. I want to learn Linux so I download and installed it.  I still have my windows 7 drive but all of the bios updates are dos only installs. no problem there except the linux bios will not install.  what is the scoop anybody??? thank you for your help! 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    Upgrade to the A4 first, then to the A4L. You're trying to jump from A3 to A4L and that's why it's throwing the error.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • nunozappeij72
    nunozappeij72 Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited December 2019
    ik probeer via het bios versie p01-a3 op te starten via een usb stick maar steeds zegt hij verwijder usb dus kan iemand me helpen?
    model am3920

I try to launch the p01-a3 version via bios via a usb stick but he always says remove usb so can someone help me?
    model am3920

Edited by converting the post from Dutch to English
    Acer-Samuel
  • billsey
    @nunozappeij72 if you are trying to update from P01-A3 to P01-A4 then I believe the update needs to be run from Windows, not from a bootable USB flash drive. If you are wishing to run Linux you need to first update to P01-A4, then P01-A4L and both of those should be run from Windows.
    als u probeert te updaten van P01-A3 naar P01-A4, dan geloof ik dat de update moet worden uitgevoerd vanuit Windows, niet vanaf een opstartbare USB-stick. Als je Linux wilt gebruiken, moet je eerst updaten naar P01-A4, daarna P01-A4L en beide moeten vanaf Windows worden uitgevoerd.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Marty11
    Marty11 Member Posts: 109 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    billsey said:
    @nunozappeij72 If you are wishing to run Linux you need to first update to P01-A4, then P01-A4L and both of those should be run from Windows.
    Could you clarify something for me, please? I thought that both the P01-A4 and P01-A4L, both installed exactly the same bios firmware and that the only difference between the two would be that only the installer would run on Windows or Linux.
  • billsey
    You may be right, though both images have the ability to boot DOS and install via a DOS batch file. I was under the impression that it was a difference in the BIOS that was conflicting with Grub.