Aspire TC-710 case; replace Optical drive; add SSD card

pth
pth Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

A:  I would like to replace the slim Optical drive with a regular sized one.  

1:  How do I remove the front cover? 

2:  Can I install the regular drive in the bay below the slim drive bay?

3:  If yes, how do I remove the front cover of the bay?

B:  How can I install a SSD drive for the ATC-710 EB-51?  I saw somewhere there is a SSD card that fits into a small socket on the mother board with a screw to retain it.  I do see the female socket.  Is the SSD card very specific?  What is the spec I need to know in order to purchase the correct type?

thanks

Best Answer

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,077 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Hi,

You are welcome,

1. I don't think there's any documents available for users, I don't know the reason also, sorry.

2.After releasing those 3 tabs on the left side, swing open the front cover and pull it out.

3. Thanks.

4.I have to admit that I have no idea whether full size DVD drive will fit in, you may have to wait reply from more experienced members.

Answers

• brummyfan2

Hi,

You need to remove two screws, slide the panel towards you and lift, then you have to release 3 tabs to remove the front cover(Pic).

I don't think there's enough room for a regular DVD drive.

For the SSD installation, any SATA M.2 SSD will be fine, make sure you get the screw for it as well from the retailer(some provide the screw) or you can buy thescrew size M2.4(Big head).

Part numbers for SSD: KN.12807.010

KN.25607.010

Example:https://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-CT275MX300SSD4-Internal-Solid-State/dp/B01IAGSDJ0/ref=pd_sbs_147_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=E6RRZ3CVCPP8QK5GZVYE

Capture.JPGCapture1.JPG

I think I have covered everything, if not let me know.

• pth

Tinkerer

Thanks for the information.

1:  Can you direct me to a copy of the hardware documentation for future reference.  Does it exist? 

2:  FOr the front cover, I have tried your suggestion.  But, on the right hand side, there seems to be tabs that is holding it back.  (and the right side side panel is riveted in.

3:  Great info on the SSD. 

4:  Any chance of installing full size optical driver if I remove the cage that comes with the slim one (as shown in Laurent's reply to another question?

thanks

• brummyfan2
    Answer ✓

Hi,

You are welcome,

1. I don't think there's any documents available for users, I don't know the reason also, sorry.

2.After releasing those 3 tabs on the left side, swing open the front cover and pull it out.

3. Thanks.

4.I have to admit that I have no idea whether full size DVD drive will fit in, you may have to wait reply from more experienced members.

• pth

Tinkerer

Having removed the front cover, I can attest to the fact that while the metal case can very well hold a full size optical drive, the plastic front cover does not allow such a drive to be installed.  The front cover top allows for 2 slim drives with a horizontal spine and the cover catch molded in.

I have decided to use external dvd/blueray drive.  Much easier than having to modify the front cover.

This forum exposed me to M.2 and M.2 SSD.  Thanks!!

• tonydt31
    tonydt31 Member Posts: 1 New User

You might use and internal dvd player, get an adaptor cable which connects like a sata cable  and the other end will have a usb connection which will enable you to connect to the external usb conection.  You can get these at Amazon for a reasonable price, less than $20.00 for adaptors and about $25.00 to $30.00 for the extenal DVD player.