Acer Travelmate 8473T - How to Clear BIOS?

Hoffy
Hoffy Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives

I recently bought this laptop off a student. It was originally Windows 7 but her school had upgraded it to Windows 8.1

I want to return it to Windows 7 but the bios is locked so I cannot get in to edit the boot order.

I've tried numerous options to remove the lock but just can't get anything to work.

Can anyone possibly help?

Thank you,

Best Answer

• Hoffy
    Answer ✓

Thanks for the reply.

When I tried to get into the Bios. it would ask for a password.

I had previously tried to reset the password by shorting the C2201 jumper but could not get it to work.

I tried a new approach to that method today and had success so the problem is now solved.

Kind regards,

Hoffy.

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,077 Trailblazer

Hi,

How are  you trying to access BIOS? Are you pressing F2 button as soon as you press Power button? Does it ask for any Password?

• Hoffy
    Answer ✓

Thanks for the reply.

When I tried to get into the Bios. it would ask for a password.

I had previously tried to reset the password by shorting the C2201 jumper but could not get it to work.

I tried a new approach to that method today and had success so the problem is now solved.

Kind regards,

Hoffy.

• mperez5
    mperez5 Member Posts: 5 New User

What was the method that you succeeded with? I have tried everything I could find to get the bios password removed from the laptop that I bought nothing has worked. So if you don't mind sharing what ever you did to get rid of it, it would be very much appreciated.

• Hoffy

I tried every recommendation I could find but with no success.

The answer does actually lie with shorting the C2201 jumper pads. Most reviews I found were for a different laptop saying they were under the Wireless card.

The problem with this laptop was they were under the RAM and to short them, you needed to remove the RAM. Problem then is, the system will not POST.

My resolution was to solder the two pads, then reinstall the RAM. Follow the procedure recommended.

When you do this, the system will seem to be in a POST loop. It will atempt to POST, then restart. After this had happened a few times, I turned the system off, removed the solder jumper and, voila!

Regards,

Hoffy.

• RupinderSingh
    RupinderSingh Member Posts: 1 New User

i watch more than 40 videos ever. on acer official website bios 1.01 version is not availiable on video which i watch on youtube he download version 1.01. What i do??????

• Amdad1997
    Amdad1997 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I want to know how to unlock bios lock in my laptop Acer travelmate P243
  • Pdegro
    Pdegro Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited June 2020
     My resolution was to solder the two pads, then reinstall the RAM. Follow the procedure recommended.

XXXXXXXXXX

This worked perfectly for me, thanks a million Hoffy!!

Only, in my laptop 8473 XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

[Post edited to remove inappropriate or personal content -Acer-Manny]

• Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    edited June 2020

Hi all,

Unfortunately, we do not allow/provide direct support or discuss any steps on unlocking BIOS passwords or bypassing of security features. (Please check/ review our 
     Acer Community User Agreement

We recommend contacting your local Acer support for better assistance: 
    https://www.acer.com/worldwide/

Note: We will be closing this thread. 

Thanks,
    Acer-Manny 

This discussion has been closed.