Aspire V3-772G. BIOS downgrade

alexkrush
alexkrush Member Posts: 3 New User
edited October 2023 in Legacy Laptops and Netbooks

Hi all,

after installing the 1.15 version of BIOS my FAN is working almost constantly. Is it any way to downgrade back to version 1.13?

Will, f.e., complete reset to factory settings help?

Thanks a lot and a good day,

Alexander

Best Answer

Answers

• GuruAid-CS
    GuruAid-CS Member Posts: 467 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

It is a bit difficult to predict whether downgrading your BIOS will resolve the issue with the fan, but still, if you wish to go for it, you can refer to the steps below:
    Important: Making changes in BIOS improperly may cause damage to the computer. It is recommended to take professional technical assistance wherever necessary.
    1. Go to http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

2. Type Aspire V3-772G in the box below "Search by Product Model" and click "Search"
    3. Click on your model number from the list that comes up.
    4. Once the details about your model are displayed, select your current operating system appropriately from the drop-down menu besides "Operating System".
    5. Now, go to "BIOS" tab and download the BIOS version 1.13 on your system.
    6. Follow the on-screen instructions to install the downloaded BIOS version 1.13.

• alexkrush
    alexkrush Member Posts: 3 New User

I tried it already. Bios 1.13 let me not install, when 1.15 is already installed!

• GuruAid-CS
    GuruAid-CS Member Posts: 467 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

In this case, it is recommended to contact the nearest Acer service center for further assistance. To do this, the following link can be useful:
    http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact

• zydrunas142
    zydrunas142 Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Answer ✓

Yes you can downgrade your bios, look at this topic:

http://community.acer.com/t5/Notebooks-Netbooks/Aspire-v3-772g-driver-issues/td-p/127713/page/2

The solution for downgrading the BIOS is as follow.  Unpack the VA70V108.exe with something like WinRar or 7-Zip and then in the platform.ini find "[Bios_Version_Check]" and change "flag=1" to "flag=0" after that save the ini file and run the InsydeFlash.exe as administrator. Thats how I have downgraded my BIOS.

• jave_ad_schwab1
    jave_ad_schwab1 Member Posts: 1 New User

Hello I got the real solution to this problem, do a custom install and install all but the ....microsoft media foundation decoders....... I installed one by one abd tried video from webpage and videos from windows player and started with the basic drivers to have the aero glass image and after every new single instalation when I got to the .......microsoft media foundation decoders....... my computer started crashing, I uninstalled this feature and all is working perfectly!!!! THIS IS THE REAL SOLUTION TO THIS ISSUE, with the steps here it disable my aero glass and the resoltion was'nt more than 1024 768 and could not use aero glass option, it was not having these drivers installed. If some have it working correctly and fully with these steps good, if not this solution I found is the correct detection and elimination of the problem...

• heyy
    heyy Member Posts: 4 New User

I followed the instructions to donwgrade my bios by extracting the .exe file.

Now Insideflash tells me 'There isn't any rom file in this directory'.
    Any ideas?

• Alexscended
    Alexscended Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

heyy said:

Any ideas?

I had the same issue! Then I found this instruction.. Somehow just extracting the .exe doesn't work, it leaves out a few files like de the .bin which actually make the flashtool bootable. 

You need to get the orignal files extracted by the .exe when you run the flashing utility, they are located in your personal temp in Windows.

Source: https://awesomedetect.com/cant-find-platform-ini-file-solved-bios-update/

Here's my short version:
    1. Just run the regular .exe of any bios version you want to downgrade to
    2. While the window is open displaying the error of 'Your version is newer cannot flash blah blah'. Open File explorer and go to your user accounts temp folder of Windows, as described on the link. And find a folder starting with '7z'. (This is the actual temporary extract location of the Insyde Flash utility.)
    3. Copy all files to a different location (Otherwise when you close InsydeFlash the temporary folder gets deleted automatically.)
    4. Then alter the 'Platform.ini' file by changing the Flags=2 or Flags=1 to Flags=0 under directly under [Bios_Version_Check]
    5. Then run the H2OFFT-W.exe with Insyde icon
  • R6E7980XE
    R6E7980XE Member Posts: 145 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Appreciated. Good guideline. <3
    Core i9 7980XE RAMPAGE 6 EXTREME BIOS 3403 Intel 02006B06 MCU 2021-03-18 VROC VMD 7.5.0.1152 RST 18.34.0.1000 ME FW 11.12.86.1877 DV 2050.100.0.1053 WHQL 64GB GSKILL @3.2GHz 16-18-18-38 2T POSEIDON 1080i GTX  + NVIDIA Driver 471.22 WHQL/ AX1200i / 3 x 1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS + OMS Driver 18.34.0.1000  Intel i219 V PHY UNDI OROM / Boot Agent 0.0.29 / 0.1.16 / 12.19.1.37  AQUANTIA AQC 107n FW 4.2.32 AQC 2.2.3.0  NZXT CAM 4.25.0 
    Realtek HD 6.0.9161.1 WHQL 

Core i7 1065G7 Acer Swift 5 514-54GT BIOS 1.21 SP Intel 00000096 DATE 2020-09-09 MCU FW 13.0.40.1594 DV 2050.100.0.1053 WHQL 16GB SK Hynix LPDDR4 @ 5.32GHz 24-24-24-56 1T  Intel Iris Plus GPU 30.0.100.9684  NVidia GeForce MX250 + NVIDIA Driver 471.22 Intel NVME 600P PCIE x 4  Firmware PSF121C 1TB + OMS Driver AHCI MODE 18.34.0.100 Intel Wi Fi AX 201 22.0.40.7 Intel Bluetooth 22.0.40.7  Intel SGX 2.12.103.1 Synaptic Audio 9.0.282.110
    Smart Audio 3 GUI version 1.2.1.18 

Microsoft Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 22000.71

• PHolz
    PHolz Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

heyy said:

Any ideas?

I had the same issue! Then I found this instruction.. Somehow just extracting the .exe doesn't work, it leaves out a few files like de the .bin which actually make the flashtool bootable. 

You need to get the orignal files extracted by the .exe when you run the flashing utility, they are located in your personal temp in Windows.

Source: https://awesomedetect.com/cant-find-platform-ini-file-solved-bios-update/

Here's my short version:
    2. While the window is open displaying the error of 'Your version is newer cannot flash blah blah'. Open File explorer and go to your user accounts temp folder of Windows, as described on the link. And find a folder starting with '7z'. (This is the actual temporary extract location of the Insyde Flash utility.)
    3. Copy all files to a different location (Otherwise when you close InsydeFlash the temporary folder gets deleted automatically.)
    4. Then alter the 'Platform.ini' file by changing the Flags=2 or Flags=1 to Flags=0 under directly under [Bios_Version_Check]
    Hi, 
    i tried following your instructions but it automatically changes the platform.ini file back to the original one, so I can't change the bios
  • PHolz

Tinkerer

Edit:
    I managed to do it, this is how:
    1) after downloading the BIOS, I simply extracted it
    2) plugging off the A/C power cable and start the BIOS flashing program (H2OFFT-W.exe). It will result in an error message, to please put in the power jack in order to continue.
    3) do not put in the power jack yet. Instead, copy the "platforms.ini", make the changes (Flags=1 to Flags=0 under directly under [Bios_Version_Check]) and set the file's attribute to write protection.
    4) Then I copied the writing protected file "platforms.ini" and replace it at the very same folder, then renamed it to platform.ini. 
    5) both files (pltform such as platforms.ini) are i the folder now, with write protection. Then plug in the power jack and start flashing the BIOS.

Greetings
  • PHolz

Tinkerer

heyy said:

Any ideas?

Here's my short version:
    Hi, 
    i tried following your instructions but it automatically changes the platform.ini file back to the original one, so I can't change the bios_version_check-task unfortunately. It keeps checking for the correct bios version and I can't downgrade. Any ideas how I can avoid that?
    Thanks a lot.
  • muneerabdullah1234
    muneerabdullah1234 Member Posts: 1 New User
    heyy said:

Any ideas?

Here's my short version:
    I Successfully Downgraded my TravelMate P648-G3-M, I am facing one issue i.e., The BIOS boot up logo is not changed. Can you please suggest what can i do to remove the company logo with the default Acer logo???
  • Semmster
    Semmster Member Posts: 1 New User
    heyy said:

Any ideas?

Here's my short version:
    The only things I would add to these instructions; 1. Remember to uninstall 'Firmware' from Device Manager    2. After the third step, you will be operating from inside that 'different location' folder.  It was so easy.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,687 Trailblazer
    edited February 2022
    alexkrush said:o

Hi all,

after installing the 1.15 version of BIOS my FAN is working almost constantly. Is it any way to downgrade back to version 1.13?

Will, f.e., complete reset to factory settings help?

Thanks a lot and a good day,

Alexander

Downgrading the BIOS will do nothing as you could do more damage than fix anything, check your fans that might need replacing and the CPU/GPU need also repasting with a good high quality paste as that laptop is getting on in years and components wear out and need maintenance.

Note: Doing a BIOS downgrade incorrectly will damage or brick your laptop so be very careful especially when it won't do anything to help your problem.
  • jcmolero71
    jcmolero71 Member Posts: 24 Networker
    "Downgrading the BIOS will do nothing as you could do more damage than fix anything, check your fans that might need replacing and the CPU/GPU need also repasting with a good high quality paste as that laptop is getting on in years and components wear out and need maintenance."
    that's not completely true, in my case my laptop has stock 1.08 and it updated to 1.10 and began to demand more energy, slower and timeout errors in video drivers, reverting to 1.08 resolved everything
    Moral of this story: keep the stock firmware as possible
This discussion has been closed.