Boot problem

kolmoly
kolmoly Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hi guys,

I just installed 500gb SSD 850 Evo m.2 on my VN-791G.

I transferred everything to it after the format.

Now, it seems like the bios can't save my preferences to boot from the SSD as default. It always reset the boot order while keeping "windows boot manager" at the first position and says "no bootable device." After a restart, it's fixing itself and loading Windows 10. 

Note: The boot order reset itself only when I unplug the laptop from the power source. 

I updated everything to the last version; the SSD, the bios, and all the drivers.

What can I do? Does anyone familiar with this issue? I don't think it's the CMOS (or how it's called) because the time on my PC is correct every time I open it.

I'll appreciate any help, thanks Smiley Happy

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

there's a partitions mess.

if SSD is C: the EFI partition must be on SSD not HDD, it's why you have boot issues.

i stronlgy suggest you to do a windows 10 clean install on the SSD and delete that EFI partition on your HDD.

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly

windows boot manager is the correct first boot device under UEFI OS installations.

if SSD is not booting, probably during cloning the EFI partition was missed.

can you please post a screenshot from windows disk management of the SSD partitions?

• kolmoly

Tinkerer

Thanks for your reply! C is the ssd. Do you see something?Untitled-1.jpg

• IronFly
    Answer ✓

there's a partitions mess.

if SSD is C: the EFI partition must be on SSD not HDD, it's why you have boot issues.

i stronlgy suggest you to do a windows 10 clean install on the SSD and delete that EFI partition on your HDD.

• kolmoly

Tinkerer

I did a clean install. How can I change/set the EFI?

• IronFly

you re-did a clean installation or that was a clean installation (not possible)?

if you did a new clean installation, boot to windows and then from disk management right click the HDD EFI partition and delete it.

• kolmoly

Tinkerer

Thanks, It looks like the problem indeed was the EFI.

I just allocate it to somewhere else and deleted the old one, as specified here:

https://www.tenforums.com/installation-upgrade/52837-moving-recreating-efi-partition.html

• IronFly

good to hear it.