Acer aspire 5739g max ram for upgrade

Asudragon
Asudragon Member Posts: 2 New User

Hey, im just wondering what is the maximum an aspire 5739G can have? seem to find random answers everywhere, some say 4 some say 8 but it seems like its the same machine and name but there is alot of difference parts inside them.speccs.jpg

These are my speccs for it, reason for upgrade is i want to use the 64bit windows 10 on it.

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,086 Trailblazer

Hi,

You have 32bit Operating system and it will utilise up to 4GB memory, that's the maximum you need.

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,469 Trailblazer

>>>These are my speccs for it, reason for upgrade is i want to use the 64bit windows 10 on it.>>>

You should be able to run the 64-bit version on 4GB.  No guarantees but the BIOS will probably recognize 8GB replacing the two 2GB modules with two 4GB modules. Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,086 Trailblazer

JackE wrote:

>>>These are my speccs for it, reason for upgrade is i want to use the 64bit windows 10 on it.>>>

You should be able to run the 64-bit version on 4GB.  No guarantees but the BIOS will probably recognize 8GB replacing the two 2GB modules with two 4GB modules. Jack E/NJ  

My badSmiley Embarassed Thanks JackE for correctingSmiley Very Happy

• Jazzero
    Jazzero Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hello, one week ago I successfully finished an upgrade of my aspire 5739G (10 years old!).
    Replacing the original Intel Core2 Duo P7450 (2.13GHz, 3M L2-cache) by a P9700 (2.8GHz, 6M L2-cache) which is not in the official Acer list, and the RAM from 2 x 2GB to 2 x 4GB (Samsung). The BIOS is at V1.3311.
    Though the notebook was provided with Windows 7 (64bit) I'm running Windows 10 Pro (64bit) for years with the original configuration.
    The GPU is a GeForce GT 240M (driver version 341.1), 1GB and can't be upgraded, afaik.
    As Microsoft keeps from providing Windows 10 (2004) through Windows Update because of reported problems with legacy GeForce GPUs and driver versions below 385, I gave it a try and installed it via Media Creation Tool.
    No problems at all and my notebook is faster than ever.
    A big THANK YOU to Acer for such a valuable product.

• VinceTaylor
    VinceTaylor Member Posts: 3 New User
    edited September 2021
    Would like to give a shout-out to Jazzero for his post. Upgraded my same age Acer 5739G to the above processor (acquired from ebay) and 8GB of RAM and a 512 Gb Samsung SSD. Found two videos on YouTube for disassembly and assembly of the Laptop which were so useful as i'd never taken a laptop apart before, and it is so layered, with so many ribbon cables to detach here and there. But apart from the white LED's on the media player touch buttons seemingly needing time to warm up now, and the fact the HD had to be initialized as MBR and not GPT (Acer BIOS wouldn't recognise it otherwise), it all went swimmingly!