Acer Aspire vx5-591G

Vanko1936
Vanko1936 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
I have intel SSD 250 GB PCIe m.2 size 600p series. Can I i install it on my laptop and BIOS will recognize it?

Answers

• Vanko1936
    Ok but what is this BIOS update : BIOS
    Resolve Intel PCIE SSD device information abnormal in F12 boot menu
  • Hi,

I have no idea, sorry but please wait for someone else to help you.

• Hi Vanko1936,

Aspire VX5-591G supports PCIe 3.0 X4. About the NVMe interface, i only found this information:

• "For NVMe SSD that does not support HDD password, BIOS must display “HDDx:NVMe SSD does not support HDD password.”

So...

France
  • Vanko1936
    It's work perfectly
  • ondrej907
    ondrej907 Member Posts: 1 New User

Hello Vanko, I am looking for a info whether for instance Patriot Hellfire 240GB could work in Aspire vx5-591G. I am looking for some fast M.2 that will contain my system.

So you did get your intel ssd working, right? Do you have any info about the support in general? Was the BIOS update related to this? Thanks.

• HadrOn
    HadrOn Member Posts: 1 New User

Like Vanko, I can confirm the Intel 600p NVMe SSD works with the vx5-591G. While I don't see why it would not work with other models of NVMEe SSD, I'm not an expert and I won't guarantee it will work for other SSD). I asked ACER-France about the compatibility of the M.2 connector, but their answer was really minimalisitc and uninformative -- what a surprise! : they gave me few obscure SSD references, like "KN.1280A.010   FLASH DISK.SSD.NAND.128GB.M.2.2280", that I was able to found only in a ACER-retailer online shop, with czech-only language and prices. Not so helpful for me, but they actually sell a NVMe SSD for the vx5-591G, so we can suppose that NVMe by itself is not uncompatible.

By the way, note that installing a SSD in the M.2 slot (which was free in my case) may void the warranty of your laptop in your country. On that point, ACER-France was no better: sent me back to their warranty page, which I had already read but was not so clear --- reason why I asked them. Anyways...

After I've plugged the Intell 600p SSD in the vx5-591G, it was recognised out of the box by the BIOS and by Windows 10 pre-installed on the HDD. Windows disk manager asked me to 'initialize' the disk in order to format it, what I did (I think that set up the new SSD as a GPT drive). Not sure if this step is necessary if you plan to install a new OS on the SSD.

For my part, I did a clean install of Windows 10 on the SSD, using an image from Microsoft (not the image provided by ACER). I'm now able to dual boot Windows 10 and Debian in UEFI from the SSD, so it is definitely possible to boot from a NVMe SSD with the vx5-591G (at least with an Intel 600p SSD). To be precise, I deleted the ESP/EFI partition on the HDD beforehand (Windows installer can create the ESP,

however, by default, it will add the bootloader in the existing ESP of the HDD if found). So I think the system really boots from the SSD, and not from the HDD which would "redirect" to the OS installed on the SSD (for info: it seems that the bios upgrade mentionned by Vanko was factory-installed on my laptop. When I try to apply the patch, it reports that my bios is already up-to-date).

I hope it will help, and sorry for the long post and my poor english.

• VividHunter
    VividHunter Member Posts: 1 New User

Like Vanko and HadrOn, I can also confirm the support of NVMe SSD drives. In my case I took a leap of faith and installed a Samsung SM961 PCI-E NVMe SSD; it was recognized right away and I could install WIN10 normally. I should mention I did update from a factory BIOS v1.02 to v1.03 prior making the upgrade.

As HadrOn mentioned, you do so at your own risk. I hope I could help, have fun with your new ACER gaming laptop!

• Abdul1993
    Abdul1993 Member Posts: 7 New User
    Will it work on this ssd.. I dont know much about this topic.
    Crucial MX300 275GB M.2 (2280) Internal Solid State Drive - CT275MX300SSD4
  • Hi Abdul1993,

As I already wrote, this SSD will work without any problem (I'm 100% sure).

France
  • Abdul1993

that is a picture of the current m.2 sata chipsetIMG_20170226_204154.jpg

• Abdul1993

this is the clot on my pc.. i would like to know if the crucial is compatible or the samsung evo960

IMG_20170226_204154.jpg

• markozawr
    markozawr Member Posts: 1 New User
    Just yesterday installed 960 Evo. It works perfect. But I had some problems with a transfering Windows 10 from hdd to ssd. But now it good. I am happy with a speed even if I haven't check it enough.