Spin 7 SP714-51 Battery Problem

Starless
Starless Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives

Hello all,

My Spin-7 has been shutting down suddenly when the battery level reaches about 19%. Here is what I've done thus far:

* Performed the calibration procedure detailed here: http://www.howtogeek.com/172271/how-to-calibrate-your-laptops-battery-for-accurate-battery-life-estimates/

* Performed a battery reset (2X) by inserting a pin in the battery reset hole (bottom of case), and holding there for 5 seconds, then 30 seconds.

When the problem started the machine would shut off abruptly at 40% battery. Now it happens around 19%, after the above two fixes. But clearly this is not good. There are no warnings, the machine just abruptly shuts down, and will not power up again without plugging it in to the mains.

Critical and low battery levels are set to 5 and 10% respectively.

Bob

Best Answer

• Starless
    Answer ✓

Thank you - I just tried the battery reset procedure again, and the battery seems to be working as it should now. I will need more data to be sure, but for the moment, it looks ok.

I think I did not wait five minutes with the system powered off after pushing the reset when I did it before - for some reason I missed this in the instructions. Maybe it should be more prominent.

Answers

• Mary-Acer
    Mary-Acer Acer Crew Posts: 868 Acer Crew

Sorry to hear this. We would recommend the system be checked by our authorized repair depot as the battery is not considered a user replaceable part. Please contact Acer support for assistance with this from contact info posted here:

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact

• Starless
    Answer ✓

Thank you - I just tried the battery reset procedure again, and the battery seems to be working as it should now. I will need more data to be sure, but for the moment, it looks ok.

I think I did not wait five minutes with the system powered off after pushing the reset when I did it before - for some reason I missed this in the instructions. Maybe it should be more prominent.

• Starless

Looks like I spoke too soon. The problem is reoccuring - the machine just shut down with no warning with 20% battery remaining. I plugged it back in and it started up again. I would say there is an issue here.

Starless

• Mary-Acer
    Mary-Acer Acer Crew Posts: 868 Acer Crew

Shutting down with no warning is not normal and the system should be checked by our repair depot to see if the issue is a bad battery or mainboard. Please contact Acer support from the contact info posted here to inquire about warranty repair:

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact

• Starless

For anyone finding this thread - Mary reached out to me to see if my issue had been resolved. Kudos to Acer support on this one!

Bob

• liuyu88
    liuyu88 Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi,

I have two Spin 7 and both have the same battery issue you described.  They suddenly power off without warning even though the battery status shows over 20% available.  

Both of them are still under warranty.  For warranty support do I need to ship my Spin 7 to Acer?  

Thanks,

Y. L.

• liuyu88
    liuyu88 Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi,

I checked my warranty status and it shows my Spin 7 is still under warranty (shown below).  I noticed that the warranty type shows "(2 Way Shipping)".  Does this mean Acer Support will cover shipping for both way?

Warranty Type: SMW-1 yr (2 Way Shipping)
    Warranty End Date: 11/02/2017
    Registered Owner: *************
    Contract: ************

Thank you,

Y. L.

• sudoISS
    sudoISS Member Posts: 2 New User
    I'm having this same problem. Acer Spin 7 SP714-51-M024.
    I've tried the instructions here, as well as the instructions found in the User Manual for my laptop, as well as removed the bottom panel, and unplugged and re-plugged in the battery on the laptop. No dice.
    Boots to Windows just fine, though, and hardware tests check out just fine! I'd assume it's more a hardware problem with the battery than with the motherboard, at this point. I'll run more tests.
  • sudoISS
    sudoISS Member Posts: 2 New User
    I'm having this same problem. Acer Spin 7 SP714-51-M024.
    I've tried the instructions here, as well as the instructions found in the User Manual for my laptop, as well as removed the bottom panel, and unplugged and re-plugged in the battery on the laptop. No dice.
    Boots to Windows just fine, though, and hardware tests check out just fine! I'd assume it's more a hardware problem with the battery than with the motherboard, at this point. I'll run more tests.