Acer Chromebook 15 Monitor Screen not working

jaytee79
jaytee79 Member Posts: 5 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I'm fixing a Acer Chromebook 15 Monitor Screen. When I boot up..the background is very dark and I have to use my phone flashlight to see that its been fully booted up. So I thought it was the screen that needs replacement. So I just replaced the monitor screen and its giving me the same thing, very dark. Do you think its the connection that needs to be replaced. By the way I did a full reinstallation of the operating system, so everything is brand new on boot up.

Any suggestions what needs to be done to get this fixed. Thanks in advanced.

Answers

• jaytee79

I noticed from the connection to the screen that the connector is a little burned out...like something burn it. Do you think that's what's causing the dark backgrond screen?

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer

I don't know specifically with your model, but most LED screens use a backlight to provide the brightness. If your backlight has gone south then you would see those symptoms. Which model of Chromebook 15 do you have?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • jaytee79

I'm using the Acer Chromebook cb3-531-c4a5 N15Q9

• jaytee79

It may in fact be the backlight...how would I go about fixing it. I mean right now when I boot up the computer..I can see the big icon of my username but to see it up close I would have to use my smartphone flash light to see it better but its still not enough for me to browse the desktop if I were to login successfully (did a reinstall)

• billsey

It doesn't look like they offer the backlight separate from the display (Acer part no. NLED15.6WXGASP). That's not unusual , but we could have gotten lucky... One of the cost cutting measures is to bond the LCD panel, the front glass and the backlight into one part. They get the benefit of fewer parts and fewer assembly mistakes and we get the benefit of lower cost at purchase, albeit with the potential for higher repair costs. Smiley Sad

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • jaytee79

So billy, in other words I'm out of luck. There is no fix for this??

• billsey

Likely the fix is to replace the screen. Acer will do that for you, but if out of warranty the cost is liable to be substantial. Any decent technician can do it, and there are usually plenty of replacement screens available on the secondary market as well.