Stuck on Acer Logo (How to re-flash BIOS ?)

RPH
RPH Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

Hi,

I have an Aspire 4752G running Windows 10. After doing updates, my laptop rebooted and I noticed it was taking a long time just stuck on "getting windows ready", so I just left it running. When I returned, it was stuck on the initial acer boot screen (the one with the Acer logo when you first turn on your PC), with the progress bar at the bottom filled to 75%.

No matter what I cannot get passed this screen. Pressing F2 for bios or F12 for multiboot does nothing. I can adjust the brightness using Fn controls but thats about it. Here is what I've tried so far with no luck:

1) Removed battery and used only AC power.

2) Removed AC and used only battery power.

3) Removed each stick of RAM separately.

4) Removed keyboard, HDD and DVD drive.

5) Removed CMOS battery and turned on laptop to clear BIOS. BIOS was cleared (multiboot option disappeared) but still stuck on same screen.

As far as I could work out, the last option for me to try was re-flashing the BIOS. I downloaded the latest BIOS zip file for my model from Acer's support site. After extraction, inside the DOS folder it contains a few files including a .ROM and .WPH file.

I tried formatting a 2GB USB to both FAT and FAT32 and on different occasions copied all the files inside the DOS folder as well as only the .ROM and .WPH files to the root of the USB. I plugged the USB into the left side of the laptop with the battery and AC power removed. While holding down Fn+Esc I connected AC power and turned on the laptop. The screen remains black but the power LED and USB LED turn on. Apart from the USB's LED blinking once briefly, nothing else happens.

I then tried using the Crisis Recovery Disk program to format the USB and rename my .WPH file to BIOS.WPH along with two other files that the program places on the USB. Once again, nothing happened.

Finally, I used the Phoenix Tool program to detect the type of BIOS that my .ROM and .WPH files belong to. It indicated that my actual BIOS type is INSYDE and not Phoenix. After some searching on the internet, it seems that for INSYDE based BIOS, one has to simply place the BIOS file on the root of a USB (FAT or FAT32) BUT the file MUST be correctly named for the laptops BIOS recovery to see it. I suspect that this is why nothing is happening when I try flashing the files.

EDIT: I just noticed that it says Phoenix at the bottom right of the Acer Logo startup screen.

The .ROM and .WPH files downloaded from Acers site are named "JE40124". I have no idea how to find the correct name for them. Apparently using the Phoenix Tool program provides the correct filenames to be used but I don't see this anywhere when I use it and select my .ROM or .WPH files as the source (but I may be doing it wrong).

Please can someone help me with other suggestions on how to get passed the stuck Acer screen or on how to sucessfully flash the bios (I don't know if that could solve the issue, maybe?).

Thanks !

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer

Does NOT seem like a BIOS issue from your description. So I suggest not trying to mess with it anymore.  Considering what you've tried so far, I think your best chance is to try the Alt+F10 erecovery to a factory-delivered state while saving your data if it still has the original HDD. Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• RPH

Tinkerer

Hi, the laptop has been clean formatted before so there is no eRecovery on it. However, I don't think I would be able to get to it anyway as the laptop gets stuck almost immediately after startup (I can't even get to the BIOS)...I don't know what could have caused this issue in the first place...

• JackE

Try Alt+F10 erecovery anyway using a coldboot following this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2xoMEPfiPQ

If still nothing, do you hear any BIOS beep error codes especially when disconnecting the HDD and removing RAM modules?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• RPH

Tinkerer

Hi, I tried removing both RAM modules, the laptop turns on with a black screen and does nothing else (no beeps). I have to hold the power button to turn off.

I put the HDD back in and tried eRecovery, it did not work. However, because I see in the video that it loads straight from the Acer screen, I feel that this could work if I could somehow get the eRecovery partition back on my HDD. Is that in anyway possible ?

Besides that, the only other thing I can think of is still re-flashing the BIOS...

Thanks
  • JackE

Let's back up a bit. With the HDD, RAM modules & everything else connected, do you still get an Acer logo screen or not? If you do still see the logo screen, then I'd guess that the BIOS firmware is probably OK. If you do NOT see it and the screen now remains black as well as no beep error codes without an HDD or memory installed, then I'd guess the BIOS boot block has already been irreparably damaged. Jack E/NJ    

Jack E/NJ

• RPH

Tinkerer

Yes, as long as at least one stick of RAM is installed, I get the Acer logo screen stuck at 75% regardless of what other components are connected. It is only black when no RAM is installed.
  • JackE

Good. Try a cold boot again. But immediately on pressing the power button and before the logo screen appears, start quickly tapping away at the F2 key. Can you now enter the BIOS menu? If yes, just F10 to exit and save settings and see what happens. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• RPH

Tinkerer

Hi, I tried that but it did not work unfortunately...

By the way, at the bottom right of the BIOS screen it says Phoenix (I just noticed this now although it was there all along).

• JackE

OK. Cold boot again. This time press & hold a bunch of random keys immediately on pressing the power button. Continue to hold the keys down, What happens now? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• RPH

Tinkerer

I held down random buttons on multiple tries for about 1 minute each time. The result is the same, stuck on logo screen with no beeping...

• JackE

I'm now gonna guess the keyboard ribbon connector at the mainboard either came loose or needs to be re-seated a half dozen or so times to clean up the contacts. Probably the latter. Google the terms --- 4752g keyboard youtube --- for how to get it off & check. Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• RPH

Tinkerer

I can adjust the brightness of the display using Fn+arrow keys. I can also get into bios recovery by holding down Fn+Esc (the display doesn't turn on so I assume its trying to flash the bios even though it doesn't actually do it). I assume this means that the keyboard is working.

Also, I did try rapidly pressing F2 and F12 when the issue first arose (before I took the laptop apart) and it also did nothing.

• JackE

Might not all be working? How about toggling the screen on and off with Fn+F6. Or an external HDMI TV with Fn+F5? If your wireless light is on, can you turn it off with Fn+F3? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• RPH

Tinkerer

I can turn the screen on and off yes using Fn+F6. My wireless adaptor and HDMI out won't turn on until later in the boot sequence. I checked the keyboard connection again and it looks fine...

• JackE

OK. As a 2nd to the last resort, I suggest that you click the "store" button at the top of this website. Then click your country. Then click the "erecovery" button and purchase the acer erecovery media for your 4752G at nominal cost.

In my opinion, the last resort is to try to force the BIOS flash via the Fn+Esc method. If this kind of flash goes wrong, its boot block will likely be irreparably damaged. Essentially your mainboard is toast. I don't think this has happened yet and you simply have a screwed up Win10 OS at this point.  

So if it were my machine, I'd first purchase the erecovery media and try to return the machine to its factory-default state while saving data if needed. But if you're determined to do the last resort Fn+Esc first, I'll try to help you do that too.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• RPH

Tinkerer

Hi, there is no store option for my country (South Africa). Is there anywhere that I can download this media or somehow make an eRecovery partition on my HDD (by connecting it to another PC using SATA). I also have the original Acer eRecovery factory default DVDs.

In terms of flashing the bios, is it possible to not flash the boot block so that no permanenet damage can be caused ? I read something like that while looking into the Crisis Recovery Tool.

At this point, surely it can't be Windows causing the problem because the HDD isn't even installed (i.e. no OS is even trying to boot) ? And surely WIndows shouldn't be able to affect the BIOS of the laptop (unless of course one tries flashing/updating or fiddling with the BIOS from within Windows ~ which I didn't). I should still be able to boot into the BIOS, I just don't know what could have caused this issue.

• JackE

>>>I also have the original Acer eRecovery factory default DVDs.>>>

You have the meda already!!!! Go for it! If it doesn't work, we'll proceed to the last resort. Jack E/NJ 

PS: If you don't have the HDD installed, there's no way you're gonna get past the Acer splashscreen except for some warning that no OS is found or something like that!!!

Jack E/NJ

• RPH

Tinkerer

Indeed, I created the DVDs using eRecovery when I first purchased the laptop. I figured the ones from Acer Store were maybe something special.

Question is, how can I access the DVD ? (Else I would have already tried it in the beginning). I figured that one would need to boot from the DVD i.e. changing the boot order in BIOS (which I cannot get to) or using F12 (if enabled) which also doesn't work. How can I access it from the Acer Logo screen ? Is Alt+F10 only for booting from recovery partition on HDD or also DVD ?

Thanks

• JackE

First, try a cold boot the erecovry media installed & the HDD connected. Does the CD/DVD drive LED even light up on cold booting? Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• RPH

Tinkerer

Yes, the DVD drive LED comes on. With the eRecovery disc inside, it flashes and makes a noise (I can hear the disc being read).

But the laptop remains stuck on the same screen. Alt+F10 does nothing also (I assume that's only to access the recovery partition on the HDD not the DVD).

I tried with the HDD installed and also removed with no difference.