Compatible Windows 10 build for Switch SW5-111

stevebass
stevebass Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hi

I've been trying to find a working WIndows 10 build for this laptop, the Aspire Switch SW5-111 which is listed here as a supported model:

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/MY/content/windows10-eligible-models

I've tried the July 2016 build which doesn't pick up the touchscreen, audio, g sensor or the power management. The Platform drivers on the Acer site fail to install (tried in safe mode too) and the seperate audio driver also has no effect. The only thing I haven't tried is a BIOS update.

From looking at other posts it seems that Windows 10 Anniversary edition isn't supported and when I spoke on Live Chat I was told this model isn't compatible and to roll back to WIndows 8.1 (who on the planet wants to do that?) despite it being listed as WIn10 friendly on Acer's site. Seems ridiculous that a convertible doesn't play nice with the only operating system which suits the tablet/notebook idea properly, is there any future plans for proper support?

Answers

• stevebass

Managed to get everything working I think, had to clean install Win8.1, install the relevant Win8.1 Platform Drivers and also the wifi driver and then do the assistive technology upgrade:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/accessibility/windows10upgrade

Don't do the upgrade from the factory image, it's filled with the largest haul of crapware I've ever seen,

I would also not connect to the internet until you've installed the platform drivers. Good job Acer!

After installing the new Win10 platform drivers everything is fully working, after letting Windows update everything however the G Sensor had stopped functioning. There was no auto rotation option in settings and no rotate lock option in the Action Centre panel. From Here I went into services.msc and set the Sensor Service and Sensor Monitoring Service to Automatic. I also made the following change to the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AutoRotation

Change the rotation value from "0"  to "1"

That should do it, now adaptive brightness and auto rotation actually work with a fully updated WIndows 10, on a hybrid that works really well with that OS. 

• stevebass

Ok still having issues with auto rotation. The Sensor Monitoring Service stops immediately after starting, I have to edit the registry entry HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\LocationandSensors\Disable Sensors from "1" to "0", however this will revert after one or two reboots.

Is there any way to keep this setting?