Plugged In, Not Charging, but tried many options (Aspire E11 ES1-111M-C7DE)

rjf
rjf Member Posts: 2 New User

I have an Acer Aspire E11 (ES1-111M-C7DE), with Windows 8.1.

I am receiving the apparently common battery error of "plugged in, not charging". The battery is completely dead, 0%.

• I also tried updating the chipset, which it wouldn't let me do either ("error copying files", inexplicable).

So my questions are:

Is there a way to flash the BIOS by command line and avoid the charging issue? 

Is there anything else on the software/OS side I can do, before I spend money on a new charger or battery? Especially since every other person with this error seems to have a Windows problem, not a hardware problem.

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,085 Trailblazer

Hi,

Go to Settings, System and select Battery from left pane, see whether your Battery Saver is switched On.

• rjf
    rjf Member Posts: 2 New User

There is no option for "Battery" in the left pane under Settings > System. As far as I can see, there is no Battery Saver option anywhere in Windows 8, only in Windows 10.

Under the Settings/Control Panel, there is Power Options. I have tried adjusting the power plans there, but it doesn't help. Setting the plan to "High Performance" instead of "Power Saver" does nothing. You can customize plans as well in advanced settings, but there is nothing called "Battery Saver". 

• jsc
    jsc Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi: I just bought a couple of these as refurbs on Amazon and have the same issue. Did you ever solve it? Thanks

• djd103
    djd103 Member Posts: 1 New User

I realize this is about a year old but if you haven't tossed the Aspire out the "junk window" then we can go on from here.

Hopefully you haven't erred on the side of "lack of caution" in that one never wishes to do a firmware update on the BIOS unless absolutely necessary. But if all is well there, merely buy a new power adapter cord and unit. A faulty one can still show as if it is still on (lights up) or that it is plugged in (but not charging). 

Once you have hooked up a new, brand new not used, adapter...you will then wish to press the back board pinhole as instructed and go from there. After a power on or two, the battery charging indicator should work.

These adapters were simply junk that Acer included on these systems, and they fail within the first year or two so this is a widespread problem. Acer was not willing to admit they supplied junk so they offered no help article on it.

9 out of 10 times, its the adapters that have failed and in doing so (power surges, shorts or whatever) they needed to include the bit in articles about pressing the little pinhole on the bottom's back cover, which is basically a breaker switch, reset button.

• Junode
    Junode Member Posts: 1 New User

Hello Everyone!

I also have an Aspire E11 with the exact same problem.

Followed all the fixes "rjf" executed.

No resolution. Even tried working adapters with no luck.

Has anyone truly found a resolution to this problem?

Purchasing a new battery would be a last resort.

Would hate to buy a new battery and no real resolution.

Note: I have spent hours "Googling a sloution".

Thanks

• KeeganM
    KeeganM Member Posts: 2 New User
    I have the exact same problem with my Aspire ES 11. Plugged in not charging. Anyone found a trick that is guaranteed to work everytime?
  • Godisable
    Godisable Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have read all the comments and possible solutions to this problem. I have tried resetting the battery, pulling the battery but nothing works so far. Did anyone find a fool proof plan to resolve the issue without buying a new battery of a new power cord?
  • @Godisable! There is a bios update that can correct this problem: https://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/BIOS/BIOS/BIOS_Acer_1.16_A_A.zip?acerid=635853938157526230&Step1=NOTEBOOK&Step2=ASPIRE&Step3=ASPIRE ES1-111M&OS=ALL&LC=pt&BC=ACER&SC=PA_3
    However, updating bios is a risky procedure and I do not take any responsibility for any damage!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • AndyIOW
    AndyIOW Member Posts: 1 New User
    did you ever fix the problem with your charging, I have done all of the above with no joy,
    has anyone tried a new battery ?
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru

Hi AndyIOW,

May I know the full model name of your unit.

• @AndyIOW What is the exact model? example an515-51-75kz.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Pizza_797
    Pizza_797 Member Posts: 1 New User

I had the same issue, modified the Bios file and got the bios updated to v1.16. I also installed the touchpad driver and that was also working again.

You can try installing these files, the InsydeFlash.exe is for the Aspire E11 Bios and the IO Driver is for the touchpad. I hope this helps.

Please note that I am not responsible for any damage or loss of data.