Cursor/touchpad not working since Win 10 upgrade

porvetti
porvetti Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2023 in 2016 Archives

I have an Acer E3-111 that I bought less than a year ago. It's my fourth Acer PC, and I've generally been very happy with the company's products and support.

I upgraded to Windows 10 from the preinstalled Win 7 a few months ago, and I have had serious problems with my touchpad/cursor ever since. The cursor stops moving or jumps, and when I try to select text, it often freezes in the middle of the selection process. It's making the computer unusable.

I contacted Acer and got the driver update, but it did not work. I contacted Acer again, and spoke to a very rude gentleman who said he could do nothing for me. I contacted Microsoft and one of their techs took remote access of my PC and did something that briefly helped, but then the problem returned.

I considered going back to Win 7, but I no longer have the restore point -- too much time had passed, and the old installation got deleted on a system cleanup. Acer eventually sold me my original system installation on a USB for about $50, but did not tell me it would require a full system wipe, which I don't want to do.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix these cursor problems on the E3-111 in Windows 10?

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer

IIRC those models came with either a Elantech or Synaptics touchpad. Both drivers have been updated several times since the release of Windows 10 and are distributed via Windows Update. Check to make sure you don't have optional updates that haven't been installed...

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • nelsonoutar
    nelsonoutar Member Posts: 2 New User

Can i use and external mouse to get access to the drivers to fix the cursor issue

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer

Yup, should be no problem.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.