Will the Acer Alpha 12 liquid cooling system need liquid replacement or maintenance in the future?

AllanJ
AllanJ Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hi, Acer discussion community! I did a little searching in the internet and found that PCs that usually run with liquid cooling technology require maintenance every few months or so, together with the replacement of it's liquid coolant. I was just curious if this was applicable to the brand new Acer Alpha Switch 12. Would it ever need replacement of it's liquid coolant in the future? or any other kind of liquid cooling system maintinance like the pc models? Is it possible that after a long time of usage, the fluid keeping the sytem from overheating would just run out and suddenly cause adverse effects in the laptop?

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

Since it's a little circuit and it's a liquid/gas system, probably you will first get bored of the laptop then having to do maintenance.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • quadpixels
    quadpixels Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter

So a liquid/gas system lasts longer than a liquid-only system ... interesting.

Can you give a guess on the range of the lifespan? Like how would you compare the lifespan of such system to the lifespan of a car --- which is supposedly to be ~ 10 years and become obsolete slower than computers (many cars manufactured in the Pentium 3/Pentium 4 age are still running in the streets, but few Pentium 3/Pentium 4 PCs are considered to be not obsolete these days.)

Thanks.

• IronFly
    It's hard to compare to a car, since software evolves but streets/roads not (they will remain the same for 50 and more years).
    So if your PC will last over 4-5 years, it's just because you don't need software updates.
  • quadpixels

So can I know how long will the lifespan of the cooling system be ... ? Is it about 4~5 years ... ?

Actually I'm also a little miffed by the previous post "get bored with the laptop". It's a bit worrying this may reveal in some aspects how Acer sees its products are to be perceived by its users ... getting bored after a couple of years, as if it's a toy for giant babies. No, laptops can be a productivity tool that people use to build and make stuff, and that's why users care about its build quality and such and want to know more about it. From a practical perspective, the laptops would be storing their work stuff that they live on; from a not-so-practical perspective, there is a sentimental value in the product s/he uses (Just look at how many people still love their Thinkpad X200/X220/X230/T400/T420/T430/T440s!) Assuming people will get "bored" of a product sounds like denying that sentimental value exists, and lacking the confidence that the products will be liked and trusted by people. While it is reasonable for manufacturers to designate certain models as more "fragile" and "disposable" than others (May as well compare Lenovo Ideapad series versus their Thinkpad series; the Ideapads manufactured in the same time periods just fade into oblivion) and that tablets tend to be perceived as less durable than workstations and business-level laptops, seeing a somehow undisguised revelation that that the SA5-271 being not taken seriously is still a little bit sad.

In my opinion, saying from an objective perspective, "it's likely that your laptop's hardware specs will become obsolescent by the time its cooling system needs replacement", or "it's likely the cooling system will fail no earlier than the other parts such as the SSD or the display, which will fail in N years" sounds more comfortable.

Thanks.

• IronFly
    Ehm...i'm not an Acer employee, so this is only my point of view and getting bored of a laptop, refers to any brand.
    It's just how technolgy is nowadays.

I can't also tell how much the cooling system will last, i didn't tested, neither own it.
  • quadpixels

Oh ...... my bad, I thought you are affiliated with Acer. Sorry!

I think CPU performance has probably stagnated in recent years. Power efficiency is just inching forward.

GPUs, on the contrary, have skyrocketed in recent years, and will continue to do so with the coming of virtual reality.

Screen resolution may cross an important threshold as well and we may see more and more high pixel density displays.

So when the time comes that an Acer Alpha 12 2.0 sports a 4320x2880 high resolution display, it will make the current Alpha 12 look obsolete. :-/

• IronFly

Technically speaking everything is obsolet 1 second after it reached the market.

For whom use PC to work, it depends on software hardware requirements and the needs to speed up the processes. Time is the biggest cost.

For whom use PC to play games, it's just hardaware requirements.

For whom use PC to browse, send mails and contact friends/parents, probably a PC can last up to 10 years.