Aspire 5600U Having trouble with Intel Graphics driver with windows 10

cincyjs
cincyjs Member Posts: 17

Tinkerer

After the win 10 anniversary update boot is slow. Traced problem to dxgkrnl.sys not loading at boot. Seems to be connected to display/graphics driver ?? This came on suddenly after win 10 update and a boot-time virus scan using Defender that found and removed a key stroke virus. Maybe I need an update driver, but I cannot find it. Boot log says NOT-LOADED dxgkrnl.sys- 5 times during boot.  Any one else have this issue?

Best Answer

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

check about intel vga update:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html

remember to uninstall the Acer/Intel VGA driver first and then install the Intel.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • cincyjs

Tinkerer

Thanks, Iron Fly! This tip did help me update the Intel Video driver, but it did not solve my problem. My boot time is still 7 minutes from a cold start to a usable condition - used to be about two-three minutes. Everything is fine after start-up though. Right now I do not shut down, but just go into hiberate. This way I can be in a usable state very quickly.

I have run Windows Defender anti virus, Avast anti virus (in windows and boot time too), Anti Malware, CC Cleaner. No virus, no malware.  No fragmentation either.  Disk and memory check out. I did check out the boot log again. It has the same failed driver lines, but so do my three other computers that work just fine so the is not the issue. Nothing helps. I do not want to reinstall a clean Win 10 because I will lose a couple of expensive and unreplaceableable programs. Legal programs, but can only be activated one time without re-subscribing.

It seems some other people have this problem with the Win 10 Anniversary update too. So, maybe Microsoft will eventyually figure it out and update Win 10 again????????

Thanks for your help!!

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

if Microsoft is aware of this issue, probably they will release more updates as soon as possible.

honeslty i'm not a fan of AV antivirus, so many issues in the past and microsoft defender is good enought to protect your PC; i would try to uninstall and check the boot time.

you can also check which software is loaded at boot,

ctrl+shift +esc keys

click on more details and then click on startup tab

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • cincyjs

Tinkerer

Thanks for the speedy response. I have already "weaned" the startup programs to 6 that includes Avast and Anti Malware. I will try to remove Avast though.