why can't i reinstall win 10 on my acer aspire laptop?

Dodgeramman
Dodgeramman Member Posts: 8 New User

I have tried both Windows Media Creator Tool, and a Win 10 ISO file to reinstall win 10 with no success!!! I'm at a loss, as to how I can accomplish a successful install!! Any fixes that you guys have had success with??  Thanks in advance!!

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

PC model?

UEFI BIOS?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Dodgeramman

My Acer model number is #5552-3680.  As for the UEFI bios where do I find that???  Thanks for replying!

• IronFly
    It's UEFI since it came with wjndos 10.
    Have you tried to press Alt+F10 keys at boot?
    This normally start the recovery process...if you didn't delete the OEM recovery partition.
  • Dodgeramman

I will try and do that. My laptop has only the greyed  Start Menu, no cortana, no update/security settings that I can see. Oh, some things that I use will stall or freeze.  Like my Taskbar Internet Explorer, sometimes even Task Manager.  I think the update messed up my settings somewhere!! Which OEM would it bootup up with the F12 key? Thanks again!

• IronFly

i don't understand your question about F12, F12 enables the boot menu, Alt+F10 is the shortcut to boot from recovery partition if any.

• Dodgeramman

My version of Win 10 is 1511. And I want to use the ISO file on disc or USB thumbdrive to re-install win 10, so it would fix most of my problems.  I just rebooted like you said, and it is still the same problems!!! Everything I have tried hasn't worked for me.  At the very last of installing, at around 70-85%.  An error, that seems to cause it from not completing, is "0x80070004-0x2000D the install failed in the safe_os phase with an error during migrate-data operation!!

• IronFly

i would suggest you to download the latest iso (so you have an updated version), then download Rufus

https://rufus.akeo.ie/?locale=en_US

plug your USB flash drive and set Rufus:

MBR partition for BIOS and UEFI

NTFS file system

boot from the USB flash drive and once at language/keyboard settings, press shift+F10:

then inside the cmd windows, type
    diskpart
    then on diskpart type
    list disk
    take note of the correct disk ID to erase
    type
    select disk x
    (x is the ID of your HDD to erase)
    type
    clean all

your HDD will be erased completly but it will take an hour or more to do it, so do something else in the meanwhile.

once done, close the CMD and install windows without creating partitions, just selecting the correct HDD.

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

@Ironfly

Does he have a legacy BIOS Windows 7 laptop?

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/1780?b=1

• Dodgeramman

I have an Acer Aspire 5552-3680. 

• IronFly

Sorry i did a wrong search....yes it's a legacy BIOS, so you don't have to set as on Rufus mainpage.

i will edit my previous message, sorry about that.

Thank JordanB.

• JordanB

@Ironfly

You're welcome, but you may be right.  It very well may be an old style (pre-Windows8) UEFI and I guess it's possible that Acer installed some Windows 7 as EFI.  Honestly I don't know.  I don't know very much about Acer laptops from 2009-2010 and if they installed Windows 7 as EFI from factory.

• JordanB
  • Dodgeramman

I already have one from Microsoft the 1511 one.