Acer Jade Primo Anniversary update & Hey Cortana

JackF94
JackF94 Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited March 2023 in 2016 Archives

I'm a little frustrated that I've not recieved the anniversary update yet and that the Hey cortana feature is absent. The phone costs more than the 950XL and you would expect to get the same specs and features for the money. I'm not sure if it's Acer or Microsoft's problem. I'm wondering if any new features are coming soon? Also, any word on the liquid extend lapdock would be great. I thought that Acer would be shipping it Q3?

Answers

• Karp-Acer_Retired
    Karp-Acer_Retired Member Posts: 2,599 Guru

You can try to manually check for the update, on the all apps list.

Start 

Settings

Update & security

Phone update

Check for updates.

Note that availability may vary by manufacturer, model, country or region, mobile operator or service provider, hardware limitations and other factors.

minimizar para MAXIMIZAR.

Descubra a mais recente e inovadora tecnologia que chegará no mercado, next@acer.
  • pamej19
    pamej19 Member Posts: 1 New User

Has anyone with a jade primo received the anniversary update yet? I just saw liquid m330 posts where they say they already got the update since august and i think that is just not right. The flagship phone should get it too, at the very least. I just wanna know if Acer still is updating this particular phone, the jade primo.

• JackF94

Tinkerer

Just sold the primo. Too long waiting for the update and lacked features that the Lumias all have ie; Windows hello and hey Cortana. Also the lapdock acer was supposedly going to release. Gonna stick with Microsoft. At least they release their products at least a few months after announcing them. Also customer service with Acer is appalling so wouldn't be proud to own a device manufactured by them.
  • Puppy
    Puppy Member Posts: 15 New User

Given current reasonable pricing is there any future support from Acer regarding problem fixes and software updates confirmed ? I am aware Acer is focused on consumer oriented low cost and zero security Android devices but this flagship device has been already released, can we expect any traces of support ?

Is the Anniversary update supported for EU unlocked devices ? Previous comments indicates that it is not the case (yet or forever ?)

EDIT according user reviews it contains very old Windows version that has many issues and there is still no update to the recent one. Sorry Acer, this is a bad joke Smiley Mad

Thanks.

• Lubomirus
    Lubomirus Member Posts: 1 New User

I managed to update my phone by installing the Windows Insider app. Than configure the phone to retrieve the most stable insider builds (I think it was called the "Release candidates").

Now my Acer Jade Primo claims to have the the build 1607 which corresponds to the Anniversary update.

• Puppy

Insider builds are just time-limited unstable builds released solely for testing purposes only. Nothing for serious everyday use. This is not a solution.

I asked the presale technical support and get answser that this is supposed to be Microsoft issue which is not true, it is Acer responsibility. So don't expect anything from Acer ...

• unichips
    unichips Member Posts: 33 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

Release candidate is *almost* as stable as a production build. But there's certainly a reason why the Anniversary Update is being held back - indicating that there's very likely something that won't work quite right if you cannot obtain a production build yet.

It took quite a while for the Acer Liquid M330 to receive its official update from 1511 to 1607. In that case, it turned out that the root cause was a MICROSOFT bug.  (Not Acer's fault.) The initial production builds of Windows 10 Mobile Anniversary Update were unable to work correctly with phones that had a screen resolution of 480x854.

Unfortunately, the Anniversary Update was released to Microsoft Lumia devices with a 480x854 resoltuion despite this bug - resulting in virtually unusable devices. After the initial roll-out to a limited set of Acer Liquid M330 devices, the bug was quickly noticed, and further distribution of the update was halted. After the bug was fixed (BY MICROSOFT), the update was re-released for the Liquid M330.

• Puppy

unichips wrote:

Release candidate is *almost* as stable as a production build. But there's certainly a reason why the Anniversary Update is being held back - indicating that there's very likely something that won't work quite right if you cannot obtain a production build yet.

The "something" is just no support from Acer.

No, it is not a Microsoft fault. Vendors (like Acer) prepares and tests the builds that are just confirmed by Microsoft before released. If there was a bug, it is always Acer fault. Period.

• Puppy

Microsoft released 10586.682 build for older phones. Can anyone confirm whether this version is supported ?

• unichips

Puppy wrote:
    The "something" is just no support from Acer.

No, it is not a Microsoft fault. Vendors (like Acer) prepares and tests the builds that are just confirmed by Microsoft before released. If there was a bug, it is always Acer fault. Period.

I find that dubious for other reasons too...

The Liquid M220 (another low-end Windows phone manufactured by Acer) shipped with Windows Phone 8.1. There had been some initial buzz about releasing an upgrade to Windows 10 Mobile for this device, but a public release never happened.

Using the Windows Insider program, it is possible to install the Windows 10 Mobile upgrade.

No, I don't mean just the initial releae preview. I mean the full release-to-manufacturing version. Having installed that, you can switch back to the production ring (ie leave the Insider program) and you'll end up receiving the Anniversary Update. As I write this, my M220 is running Windows 10 Mobile build 14393.448.

What possible reason cold Acer have to continue providing Microsoft with the up-to-date builds of W10M for a phone that they never have any intention to actually update?

The OS builds originate within Microsoft. The accompanying firmware (you might think of it as a hardware abstraction layer) most likely comes from the hardware vendor.

The bug I mentioned previpously (with display resolution in the M330) happened to be a bug in the OS, not the firmware. Hence, it affected multiple models of phones from multiple vendors. That's an example of a bug that was 100% on Microsoft's shoulders.

On the other hand, it is completely possible that other types of bugs might rest on the hardware vendor's shoulders. We just don't have enough information to say for sure

• Puppy

unichips wrote:
    Using the Windows Insider program, it is possible to install the Windows 10 Mobile upgrade.

No, I don't mean just the initial releae preview. I mean the full release-to-manufacturing version. Having installed that, you can switch back to the production ring (ie leave the Insider program) and you'll end up receiving the Anniversary Update. As I write this, my M220 is running Windows 10 Mobile build 14393.448.

This is interesting information, thanks. Can anyone confirm that for the Jade Primo ? Currently there is 60% discount but no stable updates makes it useless anyway. It is also question whether the OS update trick still works well with the old HAL (vendor specific firmware).

In any case, for a $700 phone I would expect some sort of basic support like regular updates. I feel Acer is trying to treat W10M customers as Android ones (no updates at all, buy a new device to stay secure for a while) but it does not work.

The story of M220 is different, it does not meet final hardware specs for W10M upgrade because of 512 MB RAM only.

• Puppy

More information in german forum http://community.acer.com/t5/Windows-Phones/Windows-Anniversary-Update-f%C3%BCr-Acer-Jade-Primo/td-p/451615

There is another user experience report from November 2016 http://www.pocketpc.ch/acer-jade-primo/234481-acer-jade-primo-erste-meinung.html#post2277430 It looks like the device is completely spoiled by Acer ignorance and no support. It is a pity, the hardware is good Smiley Frustrated

Some people now reports that it is not possible to install Insider Preview builds either.

• JackF94

Tinkerer

What happened when the CEO of Acer "promised" a Primo 2 in 2016? What about the lapdock they were supposed to release this year? Just another company full of empty promises. It's quite funny looking at their twitter account. It's filled with people complaining about their products becoming faulty and requesting to return them. That'll be a hard job though as their customer service is just awful. Acer, just a word of advice. Please don't enter the high end market. Stick to what you're good at. Making cheap second rate laptops for asda and argos to flog. When your marketing and customer services get better, have another stab at it.

• MattMerz
    MattMerz Member Posts: 1 New User

It would be good to get at least some information when the anniversary update will be available for the Jade Liquid Primo. 

• Antonl
    Antonl Member Posts: 52 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

I'm 100% in accord with you. This thing is a big joke...

But we can update the Primo with the Windows Release Preview Insider program. I have registered to this program, after that I must waited 48h hours, and I had updated my Primo yesterday. All works fine and all bugs that I had in the 1511 version had desappear !

Backup your data (to prevent lost If you find a problem) and force the update with the insiders program, and you will have your Jade Primo with the latest version of WIndows Phone Smiley Wink

Ah, I want to say a last thing, I'm sorry for my bad english, I'm French :-P

• Puppy

Existing customers should return the brick and ask for full refund. Microsoft should also remove Acer from list of partners because of terrible customer support.

Insider Preview builds are time limited unstable versions for testing only. It is not a replacement of stable system for everyday use.

• luke_singer
    luke_singer Member Posts: 54 Die Hard WiFi Icon

In order to get the Anniversary Update, just download and install the Interop Tools app from xdna developers forum (search on Google) and edit the registry by putting the Lumia 950 values under HKLM\System\Platform\DeviceTargetInfo.

You'll get the latest stable build of W10M Anniversary Update (build 14393.953).

The latest build of W10M Anniversary Update works much better than the version supported by Acer

• unichips

At the very least, are Jade Primo users still receiving updated builds from the older (pre-anniversary update) Windows 10 Mobile branch? Build 10.0.10586.839 was released to manufacturing yesterday.

• luke_singer
    luke_singer Member Posts: 54 Die Hard WiFi Icon

Acer has stupidly blocked the W10M Anniversary Update for Acer Jade Primo.

Yes, It was a very stupid move by Acer, because the Anniversary Update increases the performances and stability of W10M on all phones and so there's no valid reason to block it. Windows 10 Mobile is not like Android which needs to be modified by the hardware vendor in order to adapt it on the custom hardware, but it works on all phones just as it is, so Acer is blocking a thing without a valid reason.

The update is distributed by Microsoft, but Acer has requested the block to Microsoft because incompetent technicians said that it was unstable. The current version supported by Acer is unstable, not the Anniversary Update!
    Will Acer block the W10M Creators Update?