Upgrading Bios Aspire E5-473

jjjimenez
jjjimenez Member Posts: 4 New User

So basically I got my new laptop which is the Aspire E5-473. Now, my question would be, how would I update my BIOS? (I haven't updated it yet, i'm currently running the stock one.) Since I recently found out that there's currently a new BIOS update for the laptop model in the acer official website. And which one should I download and install?

To anyone who might ask why I'm planning to upgrade/update my BIOS, it seems like my battery's getting drained even if my laptop is turned off. (I had 30% last 4-5 days, when I opened up my laptop today, I only had 5% remaining) Thinking that updating my bios would be the fix for this.

I downloaded one and it just said to run the executable file but I'm afraid I might do it wrong and brick out my new laptop. Any help would be glady appreciated. Thank you! Smiley Happy

P.S : I made sure that this is the right model of my laptop, I also have searched my drivers using the serial number attached below my laptop. xz.png

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,078 Trailblazer

If you are confident about BIOS recovery methods and have access to another computer, go ahead with your plan, if not don't do it, there's an outside chance of bricking your spanking new laptop(as you already know).

My suggestion would be to try a Battery calibration before you do the BIOS update, methods are here:http://www.howtogeek.com/172271/how-to-calibrate-your-laptops-battery-for-accurate-battery-life-estimates/

If you want to go ahead with BIOS update do the following:

1. Do an extended research about updating and recovery methods others used.

2. Prepare yourself well and allocate enough time.

3. Do not connect any peripherals to the laptop while updating, remove any USB sticks, Printers or wireless KB/Mouse.

4.Do not carry out update on battery alone, always keep the mains connected and don't touch any keys while updating. Move away from laptop and cross your fingers.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

• jjjimenez

I doubt i'll be confident enough to do the bios recovery things by myself in case any troublesome thing happens. Smiley Sad But I do have a personal desktop i could use. Anw, does calibrating the battery of my new laptop really necessary? I mean, i just got this laptop for like a week or so.

Sorry for doubting and asking this kind of question, thank you for helping me! 

• brummyfan2

If it's new and behaves like that, you could try returning it and demand for refund or replacement from your retailer, it depends on your location and the retailers returns policy, it could be a hardware problem like faulty battery or the AC adapter, get in touch with retailer or Acer support in your area.

• jjjimenez

Okay, would try to so tomorrow morning. (An official service center is near with our location.) Also, if I do ask the personnel/a staff from your official service center to do the updating of my laptop's bios, would it be okay? Or would that void my acer warranty?

• brummyfan2

I am not working for Acer, another user like yourself but volunteering to help fellow membersSmiley Wink

Yes, the Service centre will be happy to update the BIOS for you for a small charge or for nothing as you are under warranty.

• jjjimenez

Oh, sorry. I was new here so I didn't know a few things, heh. Anw thanks a lot for helping me! Smiley Happy 

• brummyfan2

No problem, I am glad to be of some help, All the best.