Touchpad doesn't work after Windows 10 Anniversary update

DanyXP
DanyXP Member Posts: 17 New User

Yes, this is another "my touchpad is dead after W10 Anniversary update" topic, but since i have a E 13 series laptop, i thing i should start a new one
Well, more or less, it's like for the R and S series, i have a ES1-311-P3V7, here's my situation:
- Upgraded from 8 to 10 last year
- After the update, touchpad didnt work,but as we know, i just had to upgrade my bios to 1.11 and synaptic driver.. So evertything went ok, touchpad was ok EVEN IN ADVANCED MODE (BIOS), SO I COULD USE GESTURES.

- Yesterday my acer upgraded itself without telling me anything (thanks for that microsoft, but the way....) and BAM! It all want like last year, touchpad dead. Yes, if in BIOS i set the tochpad in BASIC, it works but common, this is not really a solution.Of course at first i thought Acer already delivered a new driver or bios for this anniversay update so i checked Acer site and nothig, drivers page shows the same 2015 drivers, nothing new...just to be sure, i re-installed everything (BIOS, synaptic driver, I/O drivers...) like last year but nothing...
So what now? I heard in other forums guys contacted Acer and the answer is "You have to wait Microsoft to fix it"....common! 

And plus, it's my understanding that now we have just 10 days to roll back to previus build, after that we won't have the option in settings anymore. I reaaaaly dont want to format and stay in previus W10

Best Answer

• DanyXP
    Answer ✓

OMG, i don't know if i should be happy that i found a solution (in a very random way) or sad that after almost a year acer didnt come out with this solution. And it was a pretty easy one.
    Well, honestly in last month i was forgetting about all this touchpad nonsense, mainly because i was using Linux anyway, but last days i really wanted to solve this problem,lol! 
    After installing all kind of apps, softwares, firmwares,...lol you guys have no idea what i tried (of course i created a Restore Point before messing around with the pc, just in case)...i decided to try ("why not" i thought at this point Smiley LOL) even the oldest W8.1 drivers, from the Download page here for my E 13 model...BAM! It works! and be aware, i'm not talking about the "basic" set on bios touchpad, no, i mean the proper multi touch "advance" touchpad! Like it supposed to be! YEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAHHH! 

So, to sum up: Guys, i know it sounds weird, but YOU HAVE TO INSTALL THE OLD W8.1 IO DRIVERS IN THE W10 ANNIVERSARY EDITION!

In my case, i have a Aspire ES1-311 so i used the old 

IO Drivers_Intel_603.9600.1948.29470_W81x64

For Windows 8.1.
    Don't know for other R- and S- Aspire series but please spread the word, maybe this solution could apply also to them!

Answers

• Karp-Acer_Retired
    Karp-Acer_Retired Member Posts: 2,599 Guru

We have other users talking about this issue in the Community.

Please check the link below.

http://community.acer.com/t5/E-and-M-Series-Laptops/Windows-Anniversary-patch-makes-my-touchpad-laggy/m-p/447829#U447829

minimizar para MAXIMIZAR.

Descubra a mais recente e inovadora tecnologia que chegará no mercado, next@acer.
  • DanyXP
    Not exactly. Our touchpad is DEAD, not just laggy like in that topic
  • DanyXP

Ok, i just chatted with a acer assistant in chat and he told me they are aware ofthis and we have to wait a fix FROM MICROSOFT SINCE ACER HAS NO PLAN ON GIVIN ANY NEW DRIVER FOR ES1 SERIES...

So its possible we are in the wrong forum guys...maybe we should write to Microsoft forums

• lifo
    lifo Member Posts: 18 New User

This is hilarious! THEY should fix this problem. THEY should write Microsoft. What is a customer for them?

• Jose-Acer
    Jose-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,335 Community Administrator

Hello everyone,

We’re aware of the touchpad issues after the Windows 10 Anniversary Update and we are working on a solution.  I know it’s not the ideal solution but in the meantime we do recommend changing the precision touchpad settings in the BIOS to Basic, this will disable multi-gestures but will improve the touchpad responsiveness.  I will update this thread once we have a solution for this issue.

• DanyXP
    Acer-Jose, can u confirm we have to expect a solution from Acer (driver, firmware or new bios, whatever) and not from Microsoft?
  • Jose-Acer
    Jose-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,335 Community Administrator

Unfortunately since we’re working on isolating the problem that’s causing the touchpad to become slow, I’m unable to say whether it will be a driver, firmware or BIOS update at this time.

• WilliamG
    WilliamG Member Posts: 29 New User

Any update on this?

• DanyXP
    Answer ✓

OMG, i don't know if i should be happy that i found a solution (in a very random way) or sad that after almost a year acer didnt come out with this solution. And it was a pretty easy one.
    Well, honestly in last month i was forgetting about all this touchpad nonsense, mainly because i was using Linux anyway, but last days i really wanted to solve this problem,lol! 
    After installing all kind of apps, softwares, firmwares,...lol you guys have no idea what i tried (of course i created a Restore Point before messing around with the pc, just in case)...i decided to try ("why not" i thought at this point Smiley LOL) even the oldest W8.1 drivers, from the Download page here for my E 13 model...BAM! It works! and be aware, i'm not talking about the "basic" set on bios touchpad, no, i mean the proper multi touch "advance" touchpad! Like it supposed to be! YEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAHHH! 

So, to sum up: Guys, i know it sounds weird, but YOU HAVE TO INSTALL THE OLD W8.1 IO DRIVERS IN THE W10 ANNIVERSARY EDITION!

In my case, i have a Aspire ES1-311 so i used the old 

IO Drivers_Intel_603.9600.1948.29470_W81x64

For Windows 8.1.
    Don't know for other R- and S- Aspire series but please spread the word, maybe this solution could apply also to them!

• WilliamG
    This does not work on S series. "Platform not supported."
  • DanyXP

Sorry, to hear it doesnt work on your case. If i were u, i would try ALL W8.1 drivers, lol!

• DanyXP

Wait, did u try IO drivers for YOUR series or for mine E- series?

• WilliamG
    There are no Windows 8.1 drivers for my laptop. It's a Windows 10 system.
  • DanyXP
    Sorry man...i Hope u guys find a solution as I did for my E series.
    P.s. if u don't have 8.1 drivers, what is that " "Platform not supported" u r Talkin about? What did u do for that?
  • WilliamG

That was trying the driver from your laptop. 

• DanyXP
    Well of course E drivers doesn't work on S series...
  • WilliamG

OK, so not sure what the confusion is. There ARE NO DRIVERS FOR THE S SERIES FOR WINDOWS 8/8.1. So I tried, as a last resort, the driver YOU used since I had NO OTHER CHOICES.

Why is this so hard to understand? 

So, this is not fixed for current-gen systems, and while I appreciate your help, this isn't going anywhere now. 

• RSander
    RSander Member Posts: 6 New User
    Just last night I dscovered the same remedy for my E-5...but the missing driver was PCI driver. During Anniversary update PCI driver was configured but not installed.

All the info can be found in Events tab of Properties in Device Manager. It TELLS you it "NEEDS FURTHER INSTALLATION" "NEEDS DRIVER" The right driver is there, just gotta do what you did...reinstall it

During the update, by configuring the driver, but failing to install, the Driver tab shows driver installed...it wasn't.
  • RSander
    RSander Member Posts: 6 New User
    I wasn't clear - my problem was not with my touchpad, but with another device that went to hell after Anniversary update. So I was looking at all posts about Anniversary update woes, regardless of device.

The cause & the remedy appear to be the same - driver wasn't fully installed during Anniversary update so reinstall the driver you have.

In Device Manager, check the Events info tab in Properties for the device you have trouble with. You'll find "NEEDS FURTHER INSTALLATION" "NEEDS DRIVER"
  • DanyXP

To WilliamG, I have some new info:
    Since me and my dad have the same PC, I wanted to fix his Aspire E 13 too. Guess what, "Platform not supported"! Thinking about it, we had almost the same configuration so I thought WTH!?!?" .
    After a lot of research, I found out what was the only difference between our set-up: His Aspire bios boot wasn't set on UEFI, but in LEGACY, meaning his hard drive was NOT a GPT disk. I didn't find any (quick) solution to how set (format?) his hard disk in a GPT table while he was already used for Windows so..., I formatted as GPT (using Gparted) and reinstalled Windows from scratch!!!
    After that, my suspect was true: I tried to install the IO driver and this time , everything went OK like in my Aspire.

Obviously, this is a problem present only if u replace your HDD with another Hard Disk (in my case, a Samsung SSD) and you installed Windows NOT using GPT form (probably left in MBR partition table and then simply using LEGACY boot mode in bios, like i did at the beginning), since the original Hard DIsk that came with your Aspire should be already in GPT form .
    I hope this will help u William and other people finding the "Platform is not supported" problem ????????????

[word filter avoidance]