Where do I post an Aspire One AO756 USB system recovery problem?

randyhs
randyhs Member Posts: 6 New User

Hi.  Where can I post an Aspire One AO756 USB system recovery problem?  I had a HDD crash, replaced the HDD, and purchased a USB System Recovery Drive (Win 8.1) from the Acer Store.  The USB drive installs all the installation files and then says to remove the USB drive and click OK to reboot.  But, the bios can't find a bootable drive to finish the build. I was sent a second USB drive with same results.  The new Seagate HDD passes every Seatools test.  Plus, I can boot to DOS or Linux from USB and access the disk without a problem. Thanks

Best Answer

• PMiner
    PMiner Member Posts: 180 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    you don't have to use diskpart. in the windows installer, there is an option to format partitions manually. use that to remove all partitions, and it will set the drive to MBR, or GPT automatically.

Answers

• PMiner
    First, in BIOS make sure that the second highest boot entry is the Seagate HDD, and the USB flash being the First, so you can reinstall it later if it doesn't work. Also, when you are installing windows, make sure to delete all partitions on the seagate, then install windows. Hope this helps!
  • randyhs

Thanks but I've done all that.  I used 'diskpart' to clean the HDD and, 'fsutil' to check.  The USB is boot # 1 and Seagate HDD is boot #2.  I also use F12 to select the boot drive.

• PMiner
    what partition table are you using to format?
    MBR supports BIOS devices, whilst GPT supports UEFI.
  • randyhs

From what I see on the command lines, the recovery software warns me and then formats and partitions the drive.  In order to control the boot sequence I needed to change UEFI to Legacy.  The install software creates 5 partitions, two 300MB and, two smaller less than 30GB (Ithink).  Is the USB system recovery drive GPT?  I do not get an error using MBR.

• PMiner
    The USB partition table doesn't matter. but you need to have legacy boot disabled to install UEFI windows 8. Make sure to format the partition table to GPT.
  • randyhs

I can remove the created partitions with 'diskpart' but, I don't seem have the option for GPT. I don't remember if I tried UEFI with the USB drive.  Maybe I should try that and use F12 to select boot.

• PMiner
  • randyhs

I turned on EUFI and I'm getting different screens than I saw before.  I lost F12 (the instructions use F12) and boot sequence control but so far it doesn't seem to matter.  I'm going to let this play out which will take about 30 minutes. I'll try to post the results then.  Thanks

• randyhs

Pminer>  That worked.  The instructions sent me down a rabbit hole.  Acer phone support (store and tech) couldn't fix the issue.  It's weird because the software appeared to be doing what it said it would under legacy control.  There were no options for me to select during installation. It was completely unattended until windows started. Thanks.  Which reply should I mark kudos for you?

• PMiner
    Answer ✓
    you don't have to use diskpart. in the windows installer, there is an option to format partitions manually. use that to remove all partitions, and it will set the drive to MBR, or GPT automatically.