Acer ES1-131 / ES1-531 Warranty status on RAM Upgradation

abalsy
abalsy Member Posts: 5 New User

Hi,
I have narrowed my choices down to these two laptops for purchase:
1. Acer ES 11 NX.MYKSI.021 ES1-131 (11.6, Celeron Dual Core,2GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Win 10 Home)
2. Acer E15 UN.MZ8SI.023 ES1-531-C2YE (15..6, Celeron Dual Core,2GB RAM, 500GB HDD, DOS)

The thing is I have a 4GB DDR3 (1.35V Low Voltage) RAM chip as a spare from a non-functioning laptop, so I would like to remove the default 2GB RAM and put this in its place (since both laptops have only one RAM slot). However, from what I have read/seen so far, the disassemby of both laptops is quite complicated for a novice, as the entire bottom has to be dismantled. Obviously, since I am buying this as a low cost option, I dont want to end up paying 25% or more of the price for just the installation of the RAM chip I already have. So, what I was wondering was - what would be the status of the warranty if I do manage to replace the RAM chip myself, or if I got it done by a local computer repair guy?? FYI, I am from Mumbai, India - in case the answer varies depending on the location.

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

Make sure your spare RAM is DDR3L PC3L-12800 • CL=11 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3L-1600 • 1.35V.

You are allowed to upgrade memory and HDD's.

Which laptop are you going to upgrade?

• abalsy

I was outstation for a while and this really wasnt on top of my mind there, that is why I am asking this after a bit of a delay.
    Anyways, I bought the ES1-131 (11.6in, 2GB/500GB/Linux) a couple of days ago. However, I just came across this listing on Amazon (India) here
    http://www.amazon.in/Acer-ES1-131-acer-es1-131/dp/B01ABT9RAS/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1476714758&sr=1-1&keywords=Acer+es1
    and among the (prospective) customer questions is one which asks if the RAM could be modified (I assume he/she meant expanded), to which a seller replied in the negative.
    While I have already bought the laptop and wouldnt want (or be able) to return it for this reason, but I just needed reconfirmation.
    The other thing regarding this is my regular computer guy (who's done quite some work on 2-3 out of warranty computers for us) said that I should just reconfirm that the warranty would not be void if I dont get the RAM upgrade done by an Acer technician (at an Acer service center). The reason this question is pertinent at the moment is because I have 363 days of warranty left, so I obviously do not want to void that.
    The spare 4GB RAM that I have is from Samsung and is DDR3L (1.35V)  PC3-12800 (800MHz) CAS#Latency (CL) 11. However, I dont see Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3L-1600 anywhere in the CPU-Z app. It's part number is M471B5173QH0-YK0. Will it be compatible with the ES1-131??
    Lastly, I believe this laptop (is) opened from the keyboard side (as opposed to "from underneath the keyboard"). Is this correct??
    Any and all replies are much appreciated.

• philetus

M471B5173QH0-YK0 is DDR3L-1600.

The ES1-131 has the memory module on the back side of the motherboardso, you have to completely disassemble the laptop and remove the motherboard. You take off the bottom to access it. Then the  HDD, Wifi card, and then the motherboard.
    You should protect your computer from static electricity while doing this.

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-can-static-electricity-damage-a-computer

2016-10-17_1912.jpg

• abalsy

So, here an update to the situation and my question.

The laptop arrived about 3 days back, and I immediately noticed that there are two seals/stickers on the bottom of the laptop, one of which says "Warranty void if removed". I then talked with my computer maintainence guy and he said there's a 99% chance my warranty would be considered void by Acer (service centers) if I get the RAM upgrade done by him (or any non-Acer service technicians). So, what exactly are the terms and conditions of an upgrade within the warranty period? The laptop didn't come with any documentation regarding that. The situation is a bit unusual because I already have a spare 4GB DDR3L RAM module, so I am not sure if doing that upgrade at an Acer service center would prove to be significantly cost effective (meaning if I have to do it thru them, I might as well buy 8GB RAM and get that installed). I plan to visit an Acer service center in my city and ask the query in person, but I was wondering if anybody here has done this sort of an upgrade on a similar machine.

• philetus

Due to the fact that you have to remove the motherboard, it would probably void your warranty.

Most of the easy to upgrade laptops just had a door you had to remove to get to the ram.

• tottie
    tottie Member Posts: 1 New User

How do you replace RAM on an acer es1-431 ?