Aspire Es 13 - unstable Wifi connection / Wifi randomly disconnects

someusername
someusername Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi,

I have a new Aspire ES 13 (ES1-331-P4C1) with Windows 10. I can connect to my wifi-router and access the internet, but the connection randomly drops after a couple of minutes. I can reconnect (sometimes), after running the windows troubleshooter. The wifi-chip is a broadcom BCM43142. It seems, that there's an issue with the driver and/or Windows 10. Wifi works perfectly on Ubuntu-Linux booted from USB.

Here's what I've already tried:

- reboot of router
- turn off all the energy-saving stuff in the device-manager
- uninstall old drivers
- install new drivers from the Acer site
- install all windows updates
- install driver in compatibility-mode (windows 7)

- reset windows 10 (delete everything and reinstall windows from recovery)

The question really is, if this is a known problem with the driver or the OS. If so, then I could install Windows 7. But I'm very close to sending the laptop back, because I really don't want to waste my time fixing a newly bought, preconfigured laptop.

Thanks in advance

Answers

• ronwins3
    ronwins3 Member Posts: 7 New User

I had similar problem with ES15.  It started by dropping wifi after about one hour of use, then got worse...Also was plagued with the infamous "red x" over the network icon down in tray at bottom. After slight improvement when I updated the firmware (it was out of date), problem degraded to point that I could not connect at all, even with re-booting. Finally, even no internet with ethernet!  

Problem finally solved by doing the following: press "control/alt/delete" all at once, select "Task Manager",click "Services Tab" at top, click "status" tab on line just below the tabs: this will re-sort the services alphabetically together according to their status's (ie running, stopped)...click again on status until all the services in the top  of the list you are seeing all say "stopped".

Carefully begin going down the list top to end of services that are stopped, any stopped service that contains a reference to network, connection, connectivity, discovery,x-box,wireless, LAN, WAN, homegroup,:click on it (memorize the service name), right click on it: select "open services" find that service in the alphabetical list,(notice the descriptions here are very detailed now) RIGHT CLICK IT, select "Properties" select "Start", If startup type is not "Automatic", select "Automatic", click apply.

Go back to the previous services page, continue down the list from previous service (that you just changed) and find the next one, repeat above steps.

It may be faster to make a handwrite a list of all the stopped services as described above, then open the more in depth services page where you can then make the services automatic and start them one after the other.

I did this to about 20 services, then rebooted and have never had a problem connecting with wifi or ehternet again! (and never getting the red x anymore either).  This method was used well after live tech support chat with Acer tech support.

I wish I could offer a specific service that actually was the culprit, but I was so frustrated by the time I finally tried this, I had lost the patience to deal with documenting the changed services. Once it's fixed you can always go back and turn off services back to manual, but If I did that I would immediately make sure it has not degraded my wifi connectivity before continuing with more!

Hope this helps, 'cause I'm Lovin' it! (I am seeing wifi's all around my house I never saw before!)

Good luck....Ron

• francki386
    francki386 Member Posts: 6 New User

My laptop is acer aspire E 15 start ES1-512-C301 at time when I turn on the wifi is ther correctly but when I restart it it doesn't show 

• francki386

Please could you be more specific

• ronwins3

I recently saw that my home network was not configured to allow sharing.  What seemed to be happening was, when my son entered the house (literally), my wifi would drop out.  After allowing sharing, problem went away.  These settings are in advanced sharing settings, file and printer sharing I believe.  

• francki386
    Me don't know but I tried it still not working
  • francki386
    Please why the bluetooth shows and only the wifi is not appearing
  • ronwins3

In windows10, from home screen click on the search magnifying glass on task bar, type settings,  on next screen click on "change wifi settings" then on right hand side of next screen click on line "show available networks"...what do you see there...anything?

• francki386
    It is windows 8.1 it's only bluetooth and Lan that are available
  • francki386
    The wifi is on and off at time is coming even 30mins and disappeared