How do I charge battery of the E5-575G?

mhimhdi
mhimhdi Member Posts: 4 New User

I have a Acer E5-575G Notebook. I read instructions of charging the battery in User Manual , but I was confused.

User Manual says that "Not discharge or charge the battery to its extreme". On the other hand says that "Use AC Power whenever possible, reserving battery for mobile use".

These two statements are antithetical. Because If I use AC power whenever possible, in fact I am charging the battery to its extreme.

Answers

• Modern power management circuitry will prevent "over-charging" the battery, even if you leave it charging 24/7. What is detrimental to the battery is charging it to 100%, letting it drain completely or near completely, then recharging it to 100% repeatedly. This puts a lot of wear on the cells.

Try to keep your charge between 20% and 80%, while only doing a FULL charge + discharge cycle once in a great while. This will preserve the overall longevity of the battery's ability to hold a charge. Also, the cooler you can keep the laptop, the better for the battery as well.

To do this, you would have to disconnect the charger at 80% and plug it back in at 20%.

Here's you some info on charging laptop batteries and charging in general,

http://superuser.com/questions/698421/is-there-an-acer-battery-management-tool-that-limits-the-battery-charge-should

• mhimhdi

You say modern power management circuitry will prevent over-charging the battery, even if you leave it charging 24/7.

So if I leave my laptop 24/7, its battery become 100% and on the other hand you say 100% charge is detrimental for battery.

I was confused.

• When you have a good battery and you are plugged in, the battery will stay at 100%  even though it is not charging because the battery is holding it's charge while the laptop is running off the charger. 

• When you have a good battery and you are plugged in, the battery will stay at 100%  even though it is not charging because the battery is holding it's charge while the laptop is running off the charger. It would be better if the battery would hold at 80% whiile not charging, but Acer laptops don't have the option to do that in the power options. Lenovo and Asus do have a conservative mode you can set that will do this. With consevative mode on, my Lenovo usually stays right around 57%. I think we will eventually see this option in all laptops.

• mhimhdi

Finally, I can not use my laptop plugged-in or 24/7. I should use my laptop between 20% and 80%. Am I True?

• It's not going to kill your battery fast if it's at 100% and NOT charging. It is the heat build up from the constant charging (old laptop systems) that did the most damage to batteries. If you left your laptop in a hot car every day, it would damage the battery.

Lithium batteries do not have a "memory" effect so, that is also not a problem.

If you used your laptop strickly on battery, the constand discharging and charging would also wear out the battery.

Each discharge and charge is called a cycle and batteries only have so many cycles. Mfg's that state a cycle limit will say about 300.

By the time you need a new battery, there will be hundreds of them available, with a decent one around 20,25 bucks.

In other words, don't worry about it.

• mhimhdi

I am sorry, I did not understand some of your sentences.

I use my laptop in home most of the times. Can you tell me how charge battery for best lifetime?