Windows 10 Anniversary Update

sandypetrie
sandypetrie Member Posts: 14 New User

I recently installed the Anniversary Update to Windows 10 in my Acer Aspire E1-572 and since installation have been unable to gain access to the internet.  I have spoken with Microsoft several times and their conclusion is that I do not have the appropriate driver installed to run the AU.   I wonder if this is correct as I had no trouble with windows 10 intil the AU was installed.  Can someone tell me how to install the driver and also how can I when I cannot access the internet with that laptop.   I have a second laptop (Acer Aspire ES1 - 512) which I am using at present which also had the same problem but because it was only updated a few days ago I was able to return it to the previous build of Windows 10.  Can anyone help please?

Answers

• Could you please post the make and model of your Wi-Fi card, current driver installed (look in Device Manager).

• sandypetrie

Hi brummyfan2

Is this what you wish to know.  Under Device Manager-Network Adaptors-Qualcomm Atheros AR956x Wireless Network Adaptor  Hope this is right

• sandypetrie

Hi brummyfan2

Sorry but I can't seem to find what drivers are currently installed.  Can you point me in the right direction of where I should be looking

• Yes, right click Atheros AR956x in Device Manager, select Properties  and the driver version will be in Driver tab.

• sandypetrie

Does this sound right - C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\athw8x.sys  also  C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\vwifibus.sys

For some reason I have got a wireless connection at the moment after trying on and off all day.  Just by chance I logged on to Skygo using firefox and am watching golf at present.  I am not confident that my problem has gone away

• Right click windows logo( bottom far left), select Device manager, expand Network adapters, right click Atheros and find the driver version in Driver tab.

• sandypetrie

Driver Version - 3.0.2.201   Driver Date 27.2.16   Is this what we are looking for

• You can download the driver from Station Drivers and save it in Desktop, go to Device Manager, uninstall the current driver and install the downloaded drivers.

http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=353&func=fileinfo&id=1767&lang=en

• sandypetrie

Thanks for the latest instruction.  I have been away from home most of the morning and have only just looked at it.

I have gone on to the Station Driver site using an ethernet connection with my laptop.  Excuse my lack of computer knowledge but I'm not very confident of what I am supposed to do, and really don't know what replacement driver I am looking for.   Can you please provide further guidance.

• sandypetrie

I notice that there is an option to update the current driver, would this work or does it require a completely different driver?

• Sorry for the late reply, yes you can try the upgrade option, if that doesn't help, go to the link I gave you, click the Download (with green arrow), you may have to click again on the download in the next window, once it downloaded right click the file and select "Run as Admin" after uninstalling the current driver in Device Manager.

Capture.JPG

• sandypetrie

Thank you for further instructions.  I'm not so sure now that the driver is the problem.  Yesterday I took the laptop to both of my daughters homes and tried to get a wireless connection.  I had no problem at all getting a wireless connection which makes me think is it a problem with my router.  I get a wireless connection with a second laptop and an ipad with my router.  I tried to contact my ISP (Plusnet) yesterday without success, a long wait on the telephone.  What do you think, is it possible that there is a problem with the router and my laptop not being compatible in some way since the anniversary update?

• OK, let's try this, connect your laptop with ethernet cable, when the Internet connection established, go to Network and sharing centre by right clicking network icon in the task bar, click change adapter settings in the left pane, disable the Wi-Fi adapter and create a new one, let Windows install the driver, reboot and see whether it helps.

http://www.windowscentral.com/how-connect-wifi-windows-10

Capture.JPG

• sandypetrie

Sorry for not replying sooner but attempted to reply yesterday eveing but each time I typed a reply it disappeared from the screen.   I accessed the Plus Net Community forum yesterday and found a lady had submitted a post with exactly the same Wi Fi connectivity problem as I had.  A contributor to the forum suggested a fix which worked for her so I decided to give it a try.   I followed the instructions given which changed DNS settings and it appears to have worked so far on my laptop.

Thank you for your help and patience it is greatly appreciated.  If this problem arises again I will follow your instructions.

• I'm glad you got it sorted, Thanks for reporting the solution.

• YahikoZen
    YahikoZen Member Posts: 7 New User
    I still have the same problem after upgrading to windows 10 anniversary update my wifi status become unusual /.. it says full bar but the truth is 2 bars exactly.
  • kenz101
    kenz101 Member Posts: 42 Devotee WiFi Icon

Hi,

I would try resetting your wifi adaptor through command prompt. right click the windows icon on your taskbar and select command prompt ADMIN. once opened input this code: netsh winsock reset  and hit enter if the operation completed without error restart your machine and see if that has worked.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.      :)