aspire tc-705 usb 3 ports

wayne_h
wayne_h Member Posts: 15 New User

I think there is a problem with the front usb 3.0 ports

usb 3 thumbdrives sometimes are not recognized by windows.

A couple usb 2 devices wont work in those ports - a kobo e reader keeps disconnecting, and a video capture device doesnt work at all

Is there a diagnostic app?

Should still be on warranty

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

My advice is to backup your important personal files and reset your PC to factory settings.

But first, try to create a USB factory recovery drive by watching video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfKn87nk0F4

You can try to reset your PC to factory settings by watching the video below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tin27LxnBEU

If that doesn't work, you can try Alt + F10 Method

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuljT0a8F7I

And there's other options:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options

If you still have trouble, you can try to do a clean install of Windows 10 Anniversary like I did.  I don't have any problems.

Edit: It's possible that the registry changes and other attempted fixes you made has adversely affected your computer.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • wayne_h

No this has been a problem since I got the unit.

• JordanB

Ok sorry, I'm out of ideas.

• JordanB

So out of the blue today, I'm also getting the front USB 3.0 ports turning off and on...with Windows 10 Anniversary clean install.

<<sigh>>

• wayne_h

Interesting, however I think my problem dates before the anniv update. I never had a usb 3 port & wasnt sure if it actually was the port or the device.

• JordanB

I've used the front USB 3.0 ports on a regular basis for the last 2 years.  I didn't have a problem until 30 minutes ago.

• JordanB

I was able to get my front USB 3.0 ports working properly again.  I went to device manager and uninstalled the Nvidia graphics driver (I'm using a third party graphics card.).  I let Windows automatically download and install the graphics driver it wanted.  It's working fine again.

My problem may be unrelated to yours.  On my other machine that uses HD4600, I didn't have any problems.

uninvid.PNG

• wayne_h

So after you uninstall the driver does the windows "found new hardware" immediately come up?

• JordanB

Just keep uninstalling your Intel graphics driver until you get the default microsoft driver.  Be sure to tick the box to delete the software.

Don't worry, as long as you have an internet connection, Windows will automatically download the correct Intel graphics driver.  It might take up to 20 or 30 minutes for that to happen depending on your internet speed.  In the meantime, the basic Microsoft display driver will work fine.

If you have any problems just restart your computer.  No worries. Be patient.

• JordanB

If uninstalling your graphics driver doesn't help, then the last thing I can think of is to uninstall the realtek audio driver and just use the generic Microsoft Windows 10 Anniversary audio driver.....which will be automatically installed after you uninistall the Realtek driver.

The reason that I suggest that is because Microsoft no longer supplies a Realtek audio driver for your mainboard for Windows 10 Anniversary.  I'm not sure what that implies.  Maybe nothing.  But in the past Microsoft has always automatically given a Windows 10 Realtek audio driver.  However, with a clean install of Anniversary, they just give the new Anniversary generic audio driver.  Maybe Microsoft knows something we don't.  Smiley Wink

realun.PNG

Edit:

And then you'll have the lastest microsoft audio driver for Anniversary....

microsoftauddriv.PNG

• wayne_h

Ok I uninstalled display & audio drivers, seemed to go ok.

The USB also seems better, no problems with the kobo reader so far.

However I dont understand why this would affect the USB. Shouldnt we have done this for the USB driver?

• JordanB

I'll hopefully have more time in a week or two to play around with it and try to pinpoint where the problem was.

Anyway, glad it's working better.  

• JordanB

I've found something else interesting.

When I orginally clean installed Anniversary on August 2nd, Microsoft automatically gave me an updated Realtek card reader driver.  It gave the one in screen shot below.

cardreaderanniversarydr.PNG

However, I did a new clean install, and now it says there's no compatible drivers for Anniversary for the Realtek card reader.  It appears they've pulled their card reader driver.  The Realtek card reader has a USB interface.  

nocompat.PNG

Not sure what it all means......haven't figured that out yet.

For now, I'm just going to use the card reader driver from Acer's website (from 2015).

2015crdrv.PNG

• wayne_h

Thats the same driver Im currently running - 5-22-2015

• JordanB

Thanks for that information.  That saved me a lot of time.

• JordanB

Is your computer still working ok?  I haven't had any more problems with the front USB.  I've kept two USB drives plugged in at all times.  No problems.  

Just to let you know that I don't really have time to tinker with it right now.  If it happens again, I'll definitely dig deeper and see what I can find out as the root cause.  At this point, I'm guessing the root cause was Windows 10 Anniversary.  Smiley Wink

Microsoft keeps rolling out bug fixes on a regular basis so I guess that's a good thing.

• wayne_h

Seems to be working ok. though I havent used it much.

Thanks for keeping me updated on this issue