How can I upgrade the BIOS on my E5-571 running Linux Mint?

Options
bsuds
bsuds Member Posts: 8 New User

When I tried to install the Win 10 anniversary update it completely messed up my laptop and I had to resort to insatlling Linux. I also tried formatting the HD because Microsoft thought my drive was bad...they weren't much help. Anyway I would like to update the BIOS and try again to install windows and don't know where to start. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Answers

• philetus
    Options
  • bsuds
    Options

I am not comfortable using a proccess that is 10 years old.

• philetus
    Options

You mau have to install a Windows version in dual boot or

I made a Windows to go usb and booted into it on one of my laptops and upgraded the bios.

http://www.howtogeek.com/196817/how-to-create-a-windows-to-go-usb-drive-without-the-enterprise-edition/

• bsuds
    Options

I haven't tried the windows to go usb I'll see if that might work. I can't get windows to install which is why I need help to update the BIOS to see if that will help.

• philetus
    Options

What is it doing or telling you when you try to install Windows?

• bsuds
    Options

It gets stuck at 32% and the last time I tried it didn't even get that far. I spent hours trying with Microsoft support and they blamed the HD but it works with Linux just fine. So as a last resort I wanted to update the BIOS and try again.

• philetus
    Options

Did you disable secure boot when you tried to install?

• bsuds
    Options

Yup

I have been through all that with Windows tech support. 

• philetus
    Options

Are you trying to install Windows 7? You have programs that won't run in Windows 8,8.1, or it won't install any Windows?

• bsuds
    Options

I was running Win 10, The anniversary update failed and I had to install Linux. I was hoping if I updated the BIOS that it might install Win 10.

• philetus
    Options

Have you tried the Acer Recovery? Alt+F10 at start or has the HDD been cleaned/formatted complete?

• bsuds
    Options

HD was formatted. I have downloaded 8.1 and will see if it will install and if it does then update bios and try win 10 again.

• bsuds
    Options

Well I solved the BIOS problem by loading Win 8.1 then updating it. But it still won't get past Win 10 upgrading 42%.

I give up! I will use 8.1 and Microsoft can shove Windows 10. I have spent days of my time trying to figure it out.

• philetus
    Options

I have Win 10 on another laptop for testing purposes, but I don't want it on my main laptop.

I am very happy with 8.1 since I discovered Start 8. 30 day free trial and costs $4.99 to buy and gives you a better start menu then the Win 7 start menu.

http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/download.asp