My Acer Aspire 5951G will not charge whilst the processors are in use

billbear
billbear Member Posts: 11 New User

The charge symbol comes on and off with beeps and the computer heats up with the fan going full blast. Any ideas. The laptop is 3 years old and never had charging problems before

Best Answer

• Kathy-1
    Kathy-1 Member Posts: 167 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓

billbear wrote:

Thanks.I've searched but can find no private message facilty on this site. Where do I look? Sorry i'm 75 years young .........

Hi billbear!

You can find if you have any private messages by scrolling to the top of this thread.  On the right hand side will be a green box with helpful links, such as to your profile and forum settings, as well as a link to your Private Messages (You can find this helpful box of links on most pages in the forum, including when you're on the main page.).

I've included a screenshot below of what mine looks like just to give you an idea of what you're looking for:

acer PM.JPG

Just find your version of this box on the page and then click the link - yours will probably say something like "1 Unread" and should be a link you can click!

Hope this helps!

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer

Power down. Try vacuuming the air intake port to clear out any dust bunnies that may be causing the cpu to overheat.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• billbear

Thanks. I'll give that a go. Cheers.

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

A shorting battery will act that way - draw excess power. What does BatteryInfoView say ?

• billbear

Thanks for that Padgett. I suspect the battery. How do I check the 'batteryinfoview'? Cheers

Bill

• JackE

"Batteryinfoview" is software applet freeware that you download and run. Google it. Did you try vacuuming yet?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• billbear

Thanks Jack. Yes cleared the vents but to no efect. The excessive heat and the fan running constantly onlyh happen when working and charging together - suspect battery. On this model the battery is not accessibe without opening the laptop. Hopefully it is replaceable!. I'll get the app and report back.

• billbear

Hi Jack. Downloaded app. Not sure what info tells me but the relevant detail seems to be 'Wear' 72.7

Voltage 16,334 millivolts

Charge/ Discharge 16,142 millivolts

Good news? Bad news?

Cheers

• billbear

Hi Jack. Updated figures. Fully charged.

Wear 70.7

Capacity value 61,056 mWh

designed capacity value 86,400 mWh

volts 16,598 millivoltd

charge dischare rate 3,470 millrwatts

Hpefully you can interpet this for me.

Cheers

Bill

• JackE

Bill---If you can, we really need to see what the numbers are when the processors & fans are going full-tilt and the regular Windows battery indicator is beeping and going crazy.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• billbear

OK system going crazy .....

current capacity 45.6

CC value 27,775

Fully charge caacity 61,056

design capacily 86,400

Wear 70.7

voltage 14,906 mWh

Ch/ disch - minus 23,472 millw fluctuating to +plus 23,473 milliw

low bat 1 24,34 mWh

low bat 2 4320 mWh

screen alternate dimm and bright and charge symbol fluctuating on and off

• billbear

I should have ades that my desk is red hot under the laptop.....

Thanks fr helping identify the proble, Much appreciated.

Cheers

Bill

• billbear

On battery ony now with few progs running and screen dimmed to half

Discharge rate - minus 41,991

• JackE

OK Bill. Power down. Remove battery. Power back up with mains without the battery. Try to get the processors & fans to go full tilt again. Does it still seem to heat up? Trying to narrow down issue to either the battery, power supply or motherboard power controller.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

Battery at 70% just means it is old and has lost some capacity. That fluctuating charge/discharge rate is more disturbing. Agree, try disconnecting the battery and see if that changes it.

• billbear

Thanks again. Battery in this model is 'internal'. Do I unscrw and remove the botton 'plate' to discover / remove the battery?

Never delved into the innards of a computer before.........

Cheers

Bill

• JackE

Bill---I had to send you a private message on this matter. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• billbear

Thanks.I've searched but can find no private message facilty on this site. Where do I look? Sorry i'm 75 years young .........

• Kathy-1
    Kathy-1 Member Posts: 167 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓

billbear wrote:

Hi billbear!

You can find if you have any private messages by scrolling to the top of this thread.  On the right hand side will be a green box with helpful links, such as to your profile and forum settings, as well as a link to your Private Messages (You can find this helpful box of links on most pages in the forum, including when you're on the main page.).

I've included a screenshot below of what mine looks like just to give you an idea of what you're looking for:

acer PM.JPG

Just find your version of this box on the page and then click the link - yours will probably say something like "1 Unread" and should be a link you can click!

Hope this helps!