Aspire E15 will not let me create recovery drive in Win10

rollersk4te
rollersk4te Member Posts: 4 New User

Hi, I just purchased an Acer E15 model laptop, and I can't seem to create any recovery media using a Lexar 16GB USB 3.0 drive. The entire process is gone through like the recovery creation tool is actually writing to the USB drive, right down to formatting it and having me wait for it to copy over to the thumb drive, but at the very end it says that it failed to create the drive.

I haven't been able to find any references to this problem for Win10, though I did find a bugfix that was posted for Win8.1. So I am wondering if that bugfix would work in my case even though I'm on Win10. Otherwise... how can I either obtain or create a recovery drive?

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

there was any error code?

if you don't need the original recovery, you can download from Microsoft servers a vanilla Windows 10 installation and then download from Acer the related software and drivers.

http://community.acer.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Windows-10-Installation-Recovery-Media-Creation-and-Use/ta-p/394236

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

As I recall, the recovery drive needs to be formatted FAT32 but the process should take care of that.

T'were me, I'd format the drive to FAT32 then run H2TestW (think v 1.4 is latest) to see if the drive is OK. Full test and verify.

• rollersk4te

There was no error code, which is part of what had me scratching my head over it.... no way to tell what the exact nature of the problem was....

Thank you though for confirming I do have the option of downloading a vanilla copy of Win10 and moving from there. Somewhere in the Acer programs it said that it was ill-advised to run the vanilla version of Win10, and I was wondering if the hardware was so vendor specific that it wouldn't run Win10 without Acer's drivers. 

• rollersk4te

Yup, I did that before I tried to use it with the recovery program (formatted the drive manually to FAT32 and checked for errors). This thumb drive actually was one of the main thumb drives I used for Linux distros.

Interestingly though, when I unchecked the copy system files option in this recovery program, it used the thumb drive just fine, no errors. But it went so fast I'm kind of concerned now that it didn't really make a full copy and that all I did was create a boot drive. 

I forgot how vague Windows programs can be in telling what exactly they're doing! 

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

Why I also save a full system image (reguires NTFS but can save several on the same disk) and just use the Recovery Drive to reinstall it.

• rollersk4te

Nice! Thanks. I had forgotten that there was a built in backup utility now... I have a NAS already, so that is perfect. Smiley Happy