I tried recovering my chromebook, but it keeps failing.

dooglio
dooglio Member Posts: 2 New User

I followed the instructions here: https://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27637#_ga=1.91117849.2058217069.1472158467

I went to Google's site, and downloaded the linux script which creates the bootable USB media. It passes the verification stage, then fails with an "Unexpected Error." I looked that up on the Google recovery page and it say my media could be bad. That isn't the problem. I watched the logs (using <CTRL><ALT><REFRESH>) and the failure happens when flashing the rom:

Starting firmware updater (/tmp/install-mount-point/usr/sbin/chromeos-firmwareupdate --mode=recovery)
Command: /tmp/install-mount-point/usr/sbin/chromeos-firmwareupdate --mode=recovery
Starting Google_Edgar firmware updater v4 (recovery)...
- Updater package: [Google_Edgar.7287.167.17 / EC:edgar_v1.1.3612-1863437]
- Current system: [RO:Google_Edgar.7287.167.17 , ACT:Google_Edgar.7287.167.17 / EC:edgar_v1.1.3611-a9a071e]
- Write protection: Hardware: off, Software: Main=ON EC=ON
mode_recovery: update RO+RW
* invoke: flashrom -p host --fast-verify -w bios.bin
mode_recovery: update ec/RO+RW
* invoke: flashrom -p ec --fast-verify -w ec.bin
Execution failed (1): flashrom -p ec --fast-verify -w ec.bin
Erasing and writing flash chip... Good. It seems nothing was changed.
FAILED
flashrom v0.9.4 : 7be7ca6 : Jun 07 2016 18:51:52 UTC on Linux 3.18.0-12320-gbb6b499 (x86_64), built with libpci 3.1.10, GCC 4.9.x 20150123 (prerelease), little endian
disable_power_management: Failed to open /var/lock/flashrom_powerd.lock for writing: No such file or directory
Mapping BYT IBASE at 0xfed08000, unaligned size 0x200.
Mapping BYT SBASE at 0xfed01000, unaligned size 0x200.
ERASE FAILED at 0x00020000! Expected=0xff, Read=0x43, failed byte count from 0x00020000-0x00020fff: 0x80
ERASE FAILED!
FAILED!
Uh oh. Erase/write failed. Checking if anything changed.
Writing to the flash chip apparently didn't do anything.
This means we have to add special support for your board, programmer or flash chip.
Please report this on IRC at irc.freenode.net (channel #flashrom) or
mail flashrom@flashrom.org!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You may now reboot or simply leave the machine running.

It's acting like the flash program is expecting one chip, but detecting another.

Anyway, if this is the case, where can I get the correct firmware?

This is an Acer Chromebook 14:

CB3-431-C5FM

Any help would be appreciated, since it's basically just a big paperweight right now.

Best Answer

• dooglio
    Answer ✓

What use is a response like this? DId you even read my post?! I even offered you logs from the machine itself.

Of course I created the USB drive correctly. Don't insult my intelligence!

It's okay, anyway, we sent the Chromebook back to the Google Store and got our money back. :/

Answers

• Karp-Acer_Retired
    Karp-Acer_Retired Member Posts: 2,599 Guru

When Creating the media on an USB drive, you need to make sure all the steps are being followed correctly.

Please check the link below

https://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27646

Now, how to reinstall Chrome OS using a USB flash drive, you must have a PC with Internet access and a 4GB or larger USB flash drive.

https://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27646

Please check and make sure all steps were followed.

minimizar para MAXIMIZAR.

Descubra a mais recente e inovadora tecnologia que chegará no mercado, next@acer.
  • dooglio
    Answer ✓

What use is a response like this? DId you even read my post?! I even offered you logs from the machine itself.

Of course I created the USB drive correctly. Don't insult my intelligence!

It's okay, anyway, we sent the Chromebook back to the Google Store and got our money back. :/